cindyxoxo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
is it really necessary to take maths as one of your a-levels if you want to attend medical school
sophieeliza
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
considering medical school is very oversubscribed, i would consider maths a levels very helpful. Also, what other options are you taking? if you are taking physics or chemistry a levels maths would be very helpful.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by cindyxoxo)
is it really necessary to take maths as one of your a-levels if you want to attend medical school
No. Biology, chemistry and another subject are absolutely fine.

(Only Cambridge specify a preference for a third science - but that doesn't have to be maths).
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sophieeliza)
considering medical school is very oversubscribed, i would consider maths a levels very helpful. Also, what other options are you taking? if you are taking physics or chemistry a levels maths would be very helpful.
No, as @Democracy said it is not essential. However many eventual medical students / doctors do take it as their 3rd subject (Me included! ) Most (if not all) med schools ask for chemistry A-Level, some ask for biology A-Level. The third is up to you, as long as it is not (1) general studies or (2) a foreign language that you speak natively.
Someone123123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Democracy)

(Only Cambridge specify a preference for a third science - but that doesn't have to be maths).
Only some Cambridge colleges*
username3694440
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No.
username3709976
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, physics is another science subject that is just as respected and i would recommend it because medicine is so competitive it is good to have 3 science subjects minimum. Some medical schools will even allow bio, chem and any other subject (so 2 science subjects). Just research the unis u are interested in.
cindyxoxo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)

would you consider psychology as a science?
cindyxoxo
Rep:
?
i was planing choosing chemistry biology psycholgy and german or french
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
would you consider psychology as a science?
In the specific context of medical school admissions science subjects are biology (or human biology), chemistry, physics and maths.
cindyxoxo
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
No, as @Democracy said it is not essential. However many eventual medical students / doctors do take it as their 3rd subject (Me included! ) Most (if not all) med schools ask for chemistry A-Level, some ask for biology A-Level. The third is up to you, as long as it is not (1) general studies or (2) a foreign language that you speak natively.
what includes general studies ? and what if my fourth is a foreign language that i speak natively ?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
what includes general studies ? and what if my fourth is a foreign language that i speak natively ?
Well I did say The third is up to you, as long as it is not(1) general studies or (2) a foreign language that you speak natively.

Obviously if you do 5 A-Levels, the 4th and 5th ones are up to you (and can include GS / any Foreign Language)! I did 4 A-Levels, including General Studies but that wasn't counted.
cindyxoxo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I was going to take Biology and French amd chemistry probabably maths as level
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (369)
56.25%
I don't have everything I need (287)
43.75%

Watched Threads