The Student Room Group

Dropping out of university after first semester?

Ive completed my first semester at uni of Sheffield doing politics and philosophy and I hate it. In August I was indecisive about doing this or a BA in Geography and I now know I picked wrong.

I've signed up for a series of lecture talks with the dept of Geography to see if I do 100% wanna do it and I'm going to sit my exams just in case.

I am of course going to speak to my tutor but does anyone have an experience of this? I want to drop out and restart in September and do Geography at the same uni (I have the correct entry requirements) but is this an easy process?
Original post by Harljade
Ive completed my first semester at uni of Sheffield doing politics and philosophy and I hate it. In August I was indecisive about doing this or a BA in Geography and I now know I picked wrong.

I've signed up for a series of lecture talks with the dept of Geography to see if I do 100% wanna do it and I'm going to sit my exams just in case.

I am of course going to speak to my tutor but does anyone have an experience of this? I want to drop out and restart in September and do Geography at the same uni (I have the correct entry requirements) but is this an easy process?

I woulnt worry the advantage is you have your grades.

Talk directly to the Geography department course organiser and soun them out about a transfer next year. If they are receptive and if after going to lectures and talking to students it is still on, then you may ahve to apply via UCAS. Do check.

Not sure whether i would talk to Geography before or after talking to the tutor. If you really hate iit, then they wont stop you moving.

If you dont think Geography is a goer, then you have that time to find another curse or uni. I am dubious as to whether id bother finishing the exams.

If you stay then you will still be paying fees which will add to your student debt, but its slightly messy if you decide to leave as well. You are talking about maybe £10j in debt you could avoid. although it may not now be possible to avoid term 2s fees, depending on their liability dates.

If you build up some rapport and your application/ motivation is ok, then I'd think it should be straightforward for you. They will be handing out offers already so don't dawdle and make your interest known. Talk to some Geog students and buy them lunch or a pint.
well I don't advise studying what you hate that's for sure
Just wondering whether you did change/leave in the end? I know a few students who changed subjects during the first year, so hope the uni was helpful and let you change.
Reply 4
Original post by geogeoargh
Just wondering whether you did change/leave in the end? I know a few students who changed subjects during the first year, so hope the uni was helpful and let you change.

I didn't change, I swapped my degree from Politics and Philosophy to International Relations and Politics. I am in my final semester of third year sitting on a 68 overall so far. I wouldn't say I "love" my degree but I do enjoy it and I'm enjoying my dissertation. I am also sitting on a offer for MSc Human Resource Management starting in September 2020 at the same uni. I made the best decision. I can't wait to graduate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending