The Student Room Group

Am I good enough for Imperial College

Hello there, I’m thinking of applying to Imperial College for computing. For my A levels I got 3A* in maths physics and biology and 5a* 3a and 2b in GCSE. I know these beat the entry requirements for computing however they write further maths is highly recommended and I didn’t do it... so what do you guys think, do I still have a good shot?
Reply 1
Yes, you should apply to imperial. Further maths is a recommendation not a compulsory subject. I think you would probably get an offer from Imperial. Your grades are amazing. 😊
without further maths only apply if you can afford to waste a UCAS choice.
Original post by Assmaster2
Hello there, I’m thinking of applying to Imperial College for computing. For my A levels I got 3A* in maths physics and biology and 5a* 3a and 2b in GCSE. I know these beat the entry requirements for computing however they write further maths is highly recommended and I didn’t do it... so what do you guys think, do I still have a good shot?

Did your school offer Further Maths?

EDIT: According to the Ucas offer calculator you have a 53% chance of getting an offer - https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/

The concept of 'wasting' a Ucas choice is flawed in this case. It is a matter of understanding the nature of risk. If you apply, you have a chance (better than evens according to the above); if you don't then you have zero chance. Assess that against what you 'lose' by applying and being rejected by Imeprial. If you are happy with your other choices, then you have lost absolutely nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Well...you never know unless you try. Plus you should try asking your teachers who know you better, rather than a bunch of strangers on the internet. Seems like you’re trying to show off your grades lol
Original post by ageshallnot
Did your school offer Further Maths?

EDIT: According to the Ucas offer calculator you have a 53% chance of getting an offer - https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/

The concept of 'wasting' a Ucas choice is flawed in this case. It is a matter of understanding the nature of risk. If you apply, you have a chance (better than evens according to the above); if you don't then you have zero chance. Assess that against what you 'lose' by applying and being rejected by Imeprial. If you are happy with your other choices, then you have lost absolutely nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes they did offer further maths :/

That's not going to help your application. My other comments still stand.

Posted from TSR Mobile

even if you could get in without further maths, if you started your course at imperial you'd start behind everyone else. uni is tough enough

that said, i totally encourage you to apply if you can afford the risk of wasting a UCAS choice
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending