I'm a pilot AMA Watch

JaguarLover101
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Have you ever done something whilst flying and thought "I really shouldn't have done that"?
AYRnet
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I took the IB Programme so don't know what the GCSE/A Levels equivalent would be. Can't remember my points total at the end but took HL Spanish English and History and SL Maths Physics and Theatre.

Flight schools do their own assessments so aren't too interested as they will make their own judgment, but usually require some form of maths and/or physics.

(Original post by Shabby33)
What did you get in GCSE

What did you take for A Levels and what did you get
cat_mac
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AYRnet)
😃 no, and tbh I don't know any pilots who have (also, the toilets are dirty places, ask any crew member... we'd prefer to avoid them!)
Damn way to ruin my dreams. Can’t have some fun in the cockpit? The toilets are definitely not ideal hahaha
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
AYRnet
Rep:
?
Usually to do with flying as efficiently as possible, I reflect on my drive home and it's trivial stuff like "I should have kept the speed up for longer," "I could have done that differently," etc.

In terms of "REALLY shouldn't have done that," once quite early in my training I turned early during a go-around, fortunately there wasn't any other traffic around! Only realised a few days later where I actually should have turned!

(Original post by JaguarLover101)
Have you ever done something whilst flying and thought "I really shouldn't have done that"?
AYRnet
Rep:
?
Haha, sorry! In the cockpit I wouldn't even try -- how awkward would it be to explain you disengaged the autopilot because you were "having fun"?! 😂

(Original post by cat_mac)
Damn way to ruin my dreams. Can’t have some fun in the cockpit? The toilets are definitely not ideal hahaha
EwanWest
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What's your opinion on a certain low cost Irish carrier and the way they treat the flight crew?
AYRnet
Rep:
?
Perhaps I'm biased but a certain boss of theirs needs to realise pilots aren't just a pain in the arse, they literally keep his airline running. Treat them with the respect they deserve. They seem to be moving that way, hopefully it continues...

(Original post by EwanWest)
What's your opinion on a certain low cost Irish carrier and the way they treat the flight crew?
choco_monsterxo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
how many years have you been a pilot

how much do you earn

whats the longest time period you’ve been away from home

do you feel driving a car is easier in comparision to flying a plane

What are peoples initial reactions hen you tell them you’re a pilot
verier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what is the total cost to fully train a pilot from the beginning to the end?
CurlyBen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Haven't you heard? People fly planes, pilots fly helicopters :laugh:
AYRnet
Rep:
?
Hi choco monster,

1. Coming up to 3 years
2. My contract says I can't reveal that I'm afraid, but it's quite comfortable. I also earn more when away from home base, which happens quite a lot at my company, and some cash per flight. Overtime payments are very generous as well!
3. About 10 days. Some crew get based in the Canary Islands over the winter and can be away for two weeks, or can bid to spend winter there for some extra cash and stay up to 3 months (only on request though).
4. Driving is easier, but I feel safer flying than driving
5. Depends on the person, I've had everything from "oh." to "WOW YOU'RE A PILOT?! DUDE, THIS GUY'S A PILOT!" 😂

(Original post by choco_monsterxo)
how many years have you been a pilot

how much do you earn

whats the longest time period you’ve been away from home

do you feel driving a car is easier in comparision to flying a plane

What are peoples initial reactions hen you tell them you’re a pilot
hello654321
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i have heard you have to be a certain height to be a pilot? i think im too small, im 4 11. is this alright?
AYRnet
Rep:
?
Tough question, it really depends on what kind course you take, which school you do it at, and how many hours you need to get your licence, and any exam resist you have. It can range anywhere from about £40k to over £100k.

(Original post by verier)
what is the total cost to fully train a pilot from the beginning to the end?
AYRnet
Rep:
?
Cheeky 😂 😜

(Original post by CurlyBen)
Haven't you heard? People fly planes, pilots fly helicopters :laugh:
feverishfresher
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've heard Pilot studies are financially crippling, since hearing of someone who graduated from Oxford Aviation and had to have their parental home remortgated.
AYRnet
Rep:
?
As far as I know there isn't a requirement to get the actual medical (search Class 1 medical), but airlines can have their own height requirements, usually based on the cockpit seating in certain aircraft. You'll have to ask airlines I'm afraid (large flight schools should know too, since they talk with airlines routinely).

(Original post by hello654321)
i have heard you have to be a certain height to be a pilot? i think im too small, im 4 11. is this alright?
EwanWest
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tempted to do the type rating for an A330/50/80 and do long haul?
AYRnet
Rep:
?
Unfortunately it is really expensive, remortgaging does happen, on the bright side, it tends to pay off relatively quickly. There's no funding like there is for uni studies (a major problem we're trying hard to solve). Some schools offer help with getting loans for a course but it's just credit, not a scholarship.

The most secure way perhaps is to enrol in a "sponsored" programme where you have a guaranteed job at the end of the course, thus knowing your investment will be returned.

(Original post by feverishfresher)
I've heard Pilot studies are financially crippling, since hearing of someone who graduated from Oxford Aviation and had to have their parental home remortgated.
choco_monsterxo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
how old are you & did you ever go uni?
MiracleLeaf
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How old are you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (246)
39.42%
No - but I will (42)
6.73%
No - I don't want to (45)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (291)
46.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed