The Student Room Group

I'm a pilot AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Was able to fund it with the help of my family. My airline paid a portion of it as well which was very helpful.

Original post by MadMaths
How did you payfor training?
Reply 121
My routes take me the other way, but yes, flights regularly pass through there without any issues. And yes, I know and work with people who fly there.

Original post by xxxtentacion..
Have you ever flown over Bermuda Triangle? Do you know anyone who has? And survived?
How well qualified are you? GCSEs/A Levels.
Reply 123
My company's crew food is really good, and we get lots of it. They vary the menu but you do see some repetition, so people often bring something from home as well, just to mix it up. As you may have heard, we do eat different meals, just in case.

Of course, it varies between airlines. Our crew menu is different to the passenger food, which isn't always the case. Some companies just offer sandwiches, or a selection of what passengers can get, and some companies don't even have crew food!

Original post by CleverSquirrel
whats the food like?
Original post by AYRnet
My company's crew food is really good, and we get lots of it. They vary the menu but you do see some repetition, so people often bring something from home as well, just to mix it up. As you may have heard, we do eat different meals, just in case.

Of course, it varies between airlines. Our crew menu is different to the passenger food, which isn't always the case. Some companies just offer sandwiches, or a selection of what passengers can get, and some companies don't even have crew food!

oooh i seee!!! thats still cool though!

whats your sleeping pattern like?

and your social life?!! :eek:
Reply 125
I'm fully qualified to fly, just like any pilot. :biggrin: I have a commercial pilot's licence and the required ratings, and a Class 1 Medical.

If you mean what education I have in general, I did the IB Programme, so whatever the A Level equivalent to that is? I don't have a degree since I knew I wanted to go into flying. School/university results don't influence flying qualifications in any way.

Original post by Danny the Geezer
How well qualified are you? GCSEs/A Levels.
Original post by AYRnet
I'm fully qualified to fly, just like any pilot. :biggrin: I have a commercial pilot's licence and the required ratings, and a Class 1 Medical.

If you mean what education I have in general, I did the IB Programme, so whatever the A Level equivalent to that is? I don't have a degree since I knew I wanted to go into flying. School/university results don't influence flying qualifications in any way.

Well I was (unreliably) informed you needed 10 A*s by my then-GCSE teacher
Reply 127
What's a sleeping pattern? 😂😂 I have plenty of time off which helps to recover, but like any pilot or flight attendant will tell you, there's basically no such thing as regular sleep. I look at when I'm flying next and try and adjust my sleep to fit, and just have to accept how rested (or not :biggrin: ) I feel.

Social life is good: I have lots(!) of free time, and since I have no homework to do, when I'm off, I'm really off! Most of my friends are pilots so we adjust to the lifestyle and meet whenever we can. On the other hand, I don't always have weekends free, which I don't mind but it can make it difficult to meet with people who are studying or working since they're usually busy during the week. Also since most people my age are in uni and my colleagues are usually older, it is quite difficult to meet people my age, but oh well

In other companies that varies, but even my friends who are kept quote busy have more free time than anyone I know in uni, and that includes summer holidays!

oooh i seee!!! thats still cool though!

whats your sleeping pattern like?

and your social life?!! :eek:
Original post by AYRnet
What's a sleeping pattern? 😂😂 I have plenty of time off which helps to recover, but like any pilot or flight attendant will tell you, there's basically no such thing as regular sleep. I look at when I'm flying next and try and adjust my sleep to fit, and just have to accept how rested (or not :biggrin: ) I feel.

Social life is good: I have lots(!) of free time, and since I have no homework to do, when I'm off, I'm really off! Most of my friends are pilots so we adjust to the lifestyle and meet whenever we can. On the other hand, I don't always have weekends free, which I don't mind but it can make it difficult to meet with people who are studying or working since they're usually busy during the week. Also since most people my age are in uni and my colleagues are usually older, it is quite difficult to meet people my age, but oh well

In other companies that varies, but even my friends who are kept quote busy have more free time than anyone I know in uni, and that includes summer holidays!

hahaha awww bless you!! ooh so you can nap on demand hey? thats cool ngl :rofl:

oooh i seee, thats interesting! youre lucky in a way! do you get to pick shifts or it it just gievn to you?
if you dont mind me asking, how old are you?
Reply 129
There's no requirement for the licence, but flight schools have requirements to begin a course. The school I went to currently requires a C at GCSE English, maths, and physics, and at least two A-Level grade Cs or above, or the equivalent. A degree at 2:2 or above is also acceptable. These requirements vary from flight school to flight school, so it's worth browsing around, but that should give you an idea.

They rely on their own assessments to see if you're suitable or not, that's why they're not so interested in degrees. Aviation overall is quite focused on your flying knowledge and ability, anything else is extra.

Can't blame your teacher for encouraging you to stay in school :biggrin: The more you know the better, but we have to be realistic here :biggrin:

Original post by Danny the Geezer
Well I was (unreliably) informed you needed 10 A*s by my then-GCSE teacher
Reply 130
Haha, I can try and nap on demand, whether it works is another question 😂

Our flights are just assigned to us. If you want to work overtime you can ask for a certain flight though, and you can also agree with someone to swap a flight(s) (say if they want Monday off for a family event, and you don't mind taking their flights that day, you agree and then call ops). Some airlines also allow you to bid for certain flights, but it's not very common. and it's just a request.

And I'm 21, ask away 😊

hahaha awww bless you!! ooh so you can nap on demand hey? thats cool ngl :rofl:

oooh i seee, thats interesting! youre lucky in a way! do you get to pick shifts or it it just gievn to you?
if you dont mind me asking, how old are you?
Original post by AYRnet
Haha, I can try and nap on demand, whether it works is another question 😂

Our flights are just assigned to us. If you want to work overtime you can ask for a certain flight though, and you can also agree with someone to swap a flight(s) (say if they want Monday off for a family event, and you don't mind taking their flights that day, you agree and then call ops). Some airlines also allow you to bid for certain flights, but it's not very common. and it's just a request.

And I'm 21, ask away 😊

hahaha i can, im quite proud of it too :biggrin: still yet to find someone who can too LOOOL

ah okay thats cool, you can do like a pick and mix if you wanted too, thats awesome!! it sounds like alot more fun than what im doing :lol:

oohh imma be 21 in march :biggrin: i still cant adult properly haha

what was your first flight on your own like?
Reply 132
Back in training my first solo was really fun, I remember it was strange to be sitting alone in a plane! Landed it nicely and was happy with that 😊 It's the first time you're directly responsible for every aspect of the flight, and if anything happens only you can fix it, that's normal now but the first time it happens it feels very different.

My first commercial flight was to Fuerteventura. Really enjoyed it, was a really fun day with great crew. There's a lot to learn and at first you feel like you're lost, but that soon passes when you focus on your training and realise you know what you're doing. The scariest part? Making my first PA knowing there are people listening 😂

Haha, you'll adjust I'm sure, what are you studying/working?

hahaha i can, im quite proud of it too :biggrin: still yet to find someone who can too LOOOL

ah okay thats cool, you can do like a pick and mix if you wanted too, thats awesome!! it sounds like alot more fun than what im doing :lol:

oohh imma be 21 in march :biggrin: i still cant adult properly haha

what was your first flight on your own like?
Original post by AYRnet
Back in training my first solo was really fun, I remember it was strange to be sitting alone in a plane! Landed it nicely and was happy with that 😊 It's the first time you're directly responsible for every aspect of the flight, and if anything happens only you can fix it, that's normal now but the first time it happens it feels very different.

My first commercial flight was to Fuerteventura. Really enjoyed it, was a really fun day with great crew. There's a lot to learn and at first you feel like you're lost, but that soon passes when you focus on your training and realise you know what you're doing. The scariest part? Making my first PA knowing there are people listening 😂

Haha, you'll adjust I'm sure, what are you studying/working?

hahaha a whole plane to yourself sounds good :biggrin: yeah i can imagine, you just get used to it and it becomes a habit i guess!!

i dont know where that is :lol: ill google it!

hahaha how was that?!! do you rehearse what to say or do you have notes to read off of?!

im doing accounting and finance at uni, second year!! though im a year behind because i re took year 13 :rofl:
Original post by AYRnet
Title speaks for itself 😊 (commercial pilot, not private)

how much did it cost to pay for training i.e. how much was it to become a pilot. also whats the salary like
Would you recommend getting a degree before starting your ATPL and is there bias in the airline selection process towards integrated students against modular ones?
Reply 136
I like to write down some notes then read from there, it's whatever works for you really. I try to say something funny but I have to be careful since you never know who's afraid of flying or easily offended 😂 Fuerteventura is in the Canaries, west of Morocco

Accounting and finance sounds good, definitely something I wish I knew more about! Hope it's going well!

hahaha a whole plane to yourself sounds good :biggrin: yeah i can imagine, you just get used to it and it becomes a habit i guess!!

i dont know where that is :lol: ill google it!

hahaha how was that?!! do you rehearse what to say or do you have notes to read off of?!

im doing accounting and finance at uni, second year!! though im a year behind because i re took year 13 :rofl:
Reply 137
Cost depends on a lot of things, modular or integrated, the school itself (together with any additional cost for accommodation, for example), and how much you actually fly before getting your licence. The type rating afterwards usually costs more, my company paid it for me but unfortunately most don't. Hopefully we'll see more funding soon.

To give a very rough estimate, it can go between about £60-£120k for the full course (0 hours to CPL).

Salary tends to be good in most airlines, I can't really give a number as it depends on how much you fly, where you fly from, and any stops away from home, etc., but it's pretty much always enough to happily live on and start getting your training money back.

Original post by jonjoshelvey21
how much did it cost to pay for training i.e. how much was it to become a pilot. also whats the salary like
Original post by AYRnet
I like to write down some notes then read from there, it's whatever works for you really. I try to say something funny but I have to be careful since you never know who's afraid of flying or easily offended 😂 Fuerteventura is in the Canaries, west of Morocco

Accounting and finance sounds good, definitely something I wish I knew more about! Hope it's going well!

ahhh okay i see, omg imagine scaring off passengers!!! :rofl:

yas, i just googled it! thats awesome!!! what airport are you at the most? and do you get spend much time with family?

meh its boring ngl :rofl: and the work load is too much for me handle :lol: ill get there eventually i guess!!! thank you!
Reply 139
Well, it can't hurt, but if you do go for a degree I'd recommend something non-aviation-related: a degree is basically insurance for if flying doesn't work out, so if you do that you'll probably want to spread the risk. Of the pilots I know who have degrees, the closest anyone has come to aviation is a degree in engineering. It's a personal choice, just know that flight schools and airlines aren't interested in degrees, they just want you to do well in their assessment and to be qualified, so it's not a big advantage. The most it will help is perhaps to answer an interview question using an experience you had while there. I don't have a degree and noone has asked me about it.

As for integrated vs modular, it depends on the airline, but usually there isn't any discrimination. Every now and then an airline might have slightly different requirements for modular pilots, but that's about it. The more difficult thing is getting an interview since following an integrated course the flight school will normally work on your behalf to get you an assessment, whereas modular students tend to have to be more self-sufficient. If you complete a modular course at a big flight school they may still help you though (a few guys I know completed their modular course at my school and were recommended for assessments by the school, just as integrated pilots were). I only know of one large low cost airline who have said outright they don't take modulars, but they're growing fast so I guess that could change.

Original post by hendyrix
Would you recommend getting a degree before starting your ATPL and is there bias in the airline selection process towards integrated students against modular ones?

Quick Reply

Latest