The Student Room Group

I dont know what to do about my course

Okay. So I'm part way through my second year of my course (Creative Writing) and I'm slowly starting to hate my course and hate writing as well. My last piece of coursework was marked at 58 and I've read online that getting a 2:2 overall can hinder your career. On top of this, we have had so many teacher changes and course changes that I feel uneasy. This year we also haven't had any (or virtually any) help with our stage play (30 pages) which is due in next Thursday... I only have like 15 pages and I'm struggling so hard to write it. I have lost confidence in my ability since the last piece was graded and I've resorted to overeating to compensate for my happiness which has lead to me being now 2 stone heavier and very overweight. I don't know what to do anymore. If I quit the course I'd probably regret it (plus I've paid out for my deposit for a place next year) and if I stay... I might end up more and more miserable... I don't know what to do at all. I don't see the point in talking to the people in charge as I honestly don't think they care as our course has been cut anyway. And when it was cut was when all this chaos started to occur. I've also come home for Christmas and to be honest... I don't want to go back up to my house at uni. I'm also unhappy with my house situation so that doesn't help either.
Original post by ShellyD97
Okay. So I'm part way through my second year of my course (Creative Writing) and I'm slowly starting to hate my course and hate writing as well. My last piece of coursework was marked at 58 and I've read online that getting a 2:2 overall can hinder your career. On top of this, we have had so many teacher changes and course changes that I feel uneasy. This year we also haven't had any (or virtually any) help with our stage play (30 pages) which is due in next Thursday... I only have like 15 pages and I'm struggling so hard to write it. I have lost confidence in my ability since the last piece was graded and I've resorted to overeating to compensate for my happiness which has lead to me being now 2 stone heavier and very overweight. I don't know what to do anymore. If I quit the course I'd probably regret it (plus I've paid out for my deposit for a place next year) and if I stay... I might end up more and more miserable... I don't know what to do at all. I don't see the point in talking to the people in charge as I honestly don't think they care as our course has been cut anyway. And when it was cut was when all this chaos started to occur. I've also come home for Christmas and to be honest... I don't want to go back up to my house at uni. I'm also unhappy with my house situation so that doesn't help either.

So generally everything sucks.

Go and see your GO and get a letter for stress/ anxiety/ depression.
Talk to welfare at uni.
Put in a claim for extenuating circumstances and seek an extension.

Talk to other students and see if they are as unhappy then make a complaint.

The trouble is that you cant really start a new different course. If year 1 marks were ok then you could seek a transfer elsewhere.

If you want a different degree then you only have funding from year 2 onwards left unless you make a successful compelling personal reasons claim. i.e for depression and leaving your course.

The weight you can get rid of straightforward in 4-6 months.

Its a lot messier if you dont go back and control/ sort out your exit.

ps you seem disproportionately reading too much into getting a 58. there plenty of time to improve and its not that bad in itself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending