The Student Room Group

What uni should I go to???

Hi. So I hold 4 offers (only 3 of them are my favourites and the undecided 5th choice doesn't really matter) for Mechanical Engineering and I really can't decide which uni to firm and which one to select as my Insurance! All the 3 unis are equal to me and I am TOTALLY aware that it's supposed to be my decision because I'm the one to be attending it in the end but I'm generally looking for people's opinions. The names with the offers are:
1. Birmingham AAA
2. Manchester AAA
3. Leeds A*AA
Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
Hi. So I hold 4 offers (only 3 of them are my favourites and the undecided 5th choice doesn't really matter) for Mechanical Engineering and I really can't decide which uni to firm and which one to select as my Insurance! All the 3 unis are equal to me and I am TOTALLY aware that it's supposed to be my decision because I'm the one to be attending it in the end but I'm generally looking for people's opinions. The names with the offers are:
1. Birmingham AAA
2. Manchester AAA
3. Leeds A*AA
Thanks!

Have u looked at the courses to see which u would prefer.

I woukd say chose Leeds and one of the AAA unis.

Then ur grades can determine which uni u go to
Original post by Shaanv
Have u looked at the courses to see which u would prefer.

I woukd say chose Leeds and one of the AAA unis.

Then ur grades can determine which uni u go to

Um.. they are the same course.
I'd say pick leeds as your firm since it's your highest offer, and then either manchester or birmingham as you insurance. Have you visited all of the places? If so was there anything about the particular city you preferred? Is there any section of one particular course you like more than others? What about crime rates for the university and surrounding area?
Obviously this is your choice at the end of the day so no one else can tell you what to do.
Original post by rainbowdragon
I'd say pick leeds as your firm since it's your highest offer, and then either manchester or birmingham as you insurance. Have you visited all of the places? If so was there anything about the particular city you preferred? Is there any section of one particular course you like more than others? What about crime rates for the university and surrounding area?
Obviously this is your choice at the end of the day so no one else can tell you what to do.

Nah. I'm an international applicant. I've been to the UK but none of these 3 cities. I'm not sure about the crime rates, that's why I'm asking. Nah, the course structure seems the same.
Reply 5
Nah. I'm an international applicant. I've been to the UK but none of these 3 cities. I'm not sure about the crime rates, that's why I'm asking. Nah, the course structure seems the same.

Reason why I mentioned courses is that some have different modules etc.

Also have u checked if any of them have the option for year in industry. That would be really helpful as u can never have too much experience.

I dont know too much about these places, but u need to know whatu want rrom a uni and go to the uni that offers what u want, not just talking about course structure here but also about ur living experience.
Original post by Shaanv
Reason why I mentioned courses is that some have different modules etc.

Also have u checked if any of them have the option for year in industry. That would be really helpful as u can never have too much experience.

I dont know too much about these places, but u need to know whatu want rrom a uni and go to the uni that offers what u want, not just talking about course structure here but also about ur living experience.

The course modules are almost similar, if not same. I don't want to do an industry year, I plan of setting up a firm.
If I were you I'd firm Leeds (since it's the highest offer) and put Manchester as the insurance because I hate Birmingham lol

They should all have different modules, as each university tends to here. There are websites that can tell you (just search something like manchester crime stats etc.) Though judging by stats and league tables (which I dont exactly like going off) Leeds seems to be a better university than the other two.
Reply 9
Manchester if you like massive social outings and a real all-around experience. In my opinion, Manchester is like a mini-London, I guess?

Leeds for the better Degree. If I'm correct, I'm sure a degree from Leeds is seen a lot higher than the other two?

Good luck, I hope you enjoy your studies whatever you do. :smile:
Original post by Rooboid
Manchester if you like massive social outings and a real all-around experience. In my opinion, Manchester is like a mini-London, I guess?

Leeds for the better Degree. If I'm correct, I'm sure a degree from Leeds is seen a lot higher than the other two?

Good luck, I hope you enjoy your studies whatever you do. :smile:

Thankss for replying. Same to you! :smile:
Original post by rainbowdragon
They should all have different modules, as each university tends to here. There are websites that can tell you (just search something like manchester crime stats etc.) Though judging by stats and league tables (which I dont exactly like going off) Leeds seems to be a better university than the other two.

Thank you!
As someone from Leeds, I can vouch for the fact that the social scene here is excellent and you won’t find that you’re struggling to find different things to do!

Manchester is also an amazing city, it’s absolutely huge (the city centre and university area is bigger than Leeds) and there are loads of bars and stuff.

Having visited all three universities, I personally found the universities of Manchester and Birmingham to be huge and felt like I’d feel quite anonymous there, but that’s just my opinion - they are both very good universities so congratulations on getting offers from them.
I find that Leeds is not only a great university (it won university of the year last year) but it is also a really nice city with loads to do.
1. Birmingham AAA
2. Manchester AAA
3. Leeds A*AA
Thanks!

Choose the one you would realllllly like to go to as your first and your second as your lower entry requirements and where you wouldn’t mind going to.
In my experience all these Universities are similar in their status. You need to decide which town you like better than the other. How far it is from your home. You will be going home in the free times.
When you have graduated it is the grade that counts for your rest of the life.
Original post by catechin
As someone from Leeds, I can vouch for the fact that the social scene here is excellent and you won’t find that you’re struggling to find different things to do!

Manchester is also an amazing city, it’s absolutely huge (the city centre and university area is bigger than Leeds) and there are loads of bars and stuff.

Having visited all three universities, I personally found the universities of Manchester and Birmingham to be huge and felt like I’d feel quite anonymous there, but that’s just my opinion - they are both very good universities so congratulations on getting offers from them.
I find that Leeds is not only a great university (it won university of the year last year) but it is also a really nice city with loads to do.

Thank youu! That was really helpful 😊
Original post by AB710344
In my experience all these Universities are similar in their status. You need to decide which town you like better than the other. How far it is from your home. You will be going home in the free times.
When you have graduated it is the grade that counts for your rest of the life.

I'm an international applicant :frown: but thanks anyway :smile:
1. Birmingham AAA
2. Manchester AAA
3. Leeds A*AA
Thanks!

Firm: Manchester
Insurance: Leeds
Original post by Wired_1800
Firm: Manchester
Insurance: Leeds

But Leeds has a higher offer. :frown:
look into flight costs and living expenses, since youre an international student you are already paying loads for tuition, so it may make sense to save money on travel etc...

Quick Reply

Latest