'The complete university guides' rankings.... Watch

Light.Y
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Are the criteria of TCUG rankings 'reliable' I've had offers for Nottingham (not Trent) and Lancaster. from word of mouth Notts is more highly regarded however Lancaster is an impressive 9th compared to Nottingham 18th.. so is ranking system legit and based on employer reputation or is it based on 'other' factors such as student satisfaction .... cheers
hannah00
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
student satisfaction is important, you don't want to be in a tutorial with 40 people and a graduate assistant who keeps skipping explanations because "they are in a textbook that is not in the library but you can buy from amazon for £200"
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Light.Y)
Are the criteria of TCUG rankings 'reliable' I've had offers for Nottingham (not Trent) and Lancaster. from word of mouth Notts is more highly regarded however Lancaster is an impressive 9th compared to Nottingham 18th.. so is ranking system legit and based on employer reputation or is it based on 'other' factors such as student satisfaction .... cheers
Do some research on the methodology employed by CUG. League tables are a bit... crap and weird.

Here's an example: Edinburgh seems pretty low ranked on UK league tables, but according to the international ones like QS and THE, it's ranked fairly high (in the grand scheme of things). This is because of low student satisfaction and how different league tables weigh certain factors etc.

If you REALLY want to use a league table, use a subject-specific one instead.

Also, be wary of statistics. I see an awful lot of universities that have TSR Representative status who come out with stats like "96% OF ALL OUR GRADUATES ARE IN EMPLOYMENT AFTER 6 MONTHS" without stating in which sector. 3/4 of their 96% employed graduates could be working in McDonald's for all we know.
Light.Y
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by hannah00)
student satisfaction is important, you don't want to be in a tutorial with 40 people and a graduate assistant who keeps skipping explanations because "they are in a textbook that is not in the library but you can buy from amazon for £200"
Fair enough but ngl i don't necessarily rely on my 6th form teachers to teach me either usually just go over all of it myself. also, I'm pretty sure companies check the ranks themselves too so... but yeah satisfaction isn't super important for me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Guardian Offices, Kings Cross, London Postgraduate
    Mon, 2 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (221)
12.46%
Excited (166)
9.36%
Worried (309)
17.43%
Terrified (390)
22%
Meh (186)
10.49%
Confused (39)
2.2%