The Student Room Group

Bournemouth University unconditional offers?

I have received offers from 4 out 5 universities now and I am very proud of doing so but one offer, in particular, is drawing my attention because I wasn't considering making BU my first choice. I live 5 hours away by car (in Sheffield) and haven't visited Bournemouth since I was 12 so I have a vague idea of what it's like. Anyway, I digress...

Bournemouth recently gave me a conditional offer but then sent a letter/leaflet saying that if I were to put them as my firm choice, they would change their offer to unconditional. I have family in Bournemouth but who are all at least 5 years older than me so I don't see them that often and I don't know what to do. My initial reaction was f*** yeah, this is awesome, I'm gonna do it but now I don't want to make a decision that will affect the rest of my life.

Can a first year or second-year student tell me if they received the same offer and if it's subject to course you apply for or am I just incredibly lucky? I honestly am stuck and don't know what to do...
Unconditional if firmed offers are designed to manipulate you into firming an offer you wouldn’t otherwise choose. They are not making the offer for your benefit but for their own. Think about whether you want to spend three years studying at a university that doesn’t put your best interests first.

Forget about the offer conditions when picking your firm- your firm choice should be your favourite choice.
Original post by j0114
I have received offers from 4 out 5 universities now and I am very proud of doing so but one offer, in particular, is drawing my attention because I wasn't considering making BU my first choice. I live 5 hours away by car (in Sheffield) and haven't visited Bournemouth since I was 12 so I have a vague idea of what it's like. Anyway, I digress...

Bournemouth recently gave me a conditional offer but then sent a letter/leaflet saying that if I were to put them as my firm choice, they would change their offer to unconditional. I have family in Bournemouth but who are all at least 5 years older than me so I don't see them that often and I don't know what to do. My initial reaction was f*** yeah, this is awesome, I'm gonna do it but now I don't want to make a decision that will affect the rest of my life.

Can a first year or second-year student tell me if they received the same offer and if it's subject to course you apply for or am I just incredibly lucky? I honestly am stuck and don't know what to do...

Congrats on your 4 offers that’s fantastic. What a great position to be in now you have to make your choice. I know deciding which uni to go to is huge. Before you make your choice you need to be sure you’re going to be happy to live and study at the uni for the next 3 or 4 years. Which course have you applied for?

When you 1st started looking at uni’s were there certain things that were important to you? Did you have a maximum distance from home you wanted to live or were there certain things about the course you wanted? We’ve got our student ambassadors on the student rooms every week. If you would like to ask them any questions about life a BU.
At least the university representative has not had the gall to come here and tell the OP that he/she has been selected for such an offer as one of a select group of especially talented applicants as one university did a while ago.

These offers are simply an attempt to turn offers that would have been declined or accepted as insurance into firm offers from under the noses of rival universities. They are aimed to appeal to the nervous and benefit only the university make the offer. They disadvantage the candidate by making them think they can ease off and not bother to study hard. The truth is that employers will often look at A-level results when recruiting recent graduates, and a candidate that gets poor A-levels will not be in a good position to get offers elsewhere should the course and university not turn out to be the nirvana promised.

Those that accept these offers are also excluded from using the UCAS Adjustment service if their results turn out better than expected.

Quick Reply

Latest