Which GCSE subjects should be compulsory?

Watch
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
As simple as the title, which GCSE subjects do you think should be compulsory, and why? Are there any ones that are required now that you think shouldn't be? :holmes:
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Art
Spoiler:
Show

jk before everyone murders me

tbh i think the current ones that are compulsory is enough, when it came down to it there were only 2 subjects in my GCSE's that i had total freedom to choose, the others ones were either required humanities/languages/core subjects
username2975726
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
English Maths Science and a Language

Sports should be compulsory as well but not as a GCSE
username3529236
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
everyone should have to do at least one language in my opinion; definitely one of the most useful subjects!
Pastelx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Definitely the current ones + modern foreign language

Maybe not as a GCSE but I think it’s really good for students to do Latin for a couple years in senior school (maybe Y7-Y9 and then can drop) just because it’s so good for expanding vocabularies and understanding grammar
eggyeol
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
English
Maths
A language
A humanity
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
At GCSE, current subjects + IT. I'd like to see some sort of non-examinable "life skills" lesson covering finances etc.

Unless serious changes are made to the language specifications, I would not deem it worthwhile to make it compulsory. Students can get good passing grades barely able to form a sentence, which is all well and good for those who hated language GCSEs like myself. Regardless the level of fluency it claims to give students is hardly something to rave "global citizen" about.
Ray_Shadows
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i think a subject with practical content (PE,ICT,DT,Dance,drama etc) should be compulsory
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Languages. Go to Western Europe and almost everyone you meet is fluent in English as well as their home language. Why can't we be like that too? ICT as well, computer skills are an essential life skill nowadays and in poorer areas not everyone will have a laptop/desktop at home.

I'd support something that covers issues like careers, finances and even politics, as Labour will try and reduce the voting age to 16 when they win the next election. Maybe that could be incorporated into PHSE.

Science should be optional. I don't have a Science GCSE and I can't say it's had any impact on my life. All the basic stuff you actually need to know is taught in Years 7-9.

It's been over a decade since I was at school so apologise if this stuff already exists!
shad0wthesun
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Political education is so important, PSHE simply isn't enough as no one pays attention in a subject they won't be tested in. On my first day of A-Level politics another student couldn't name the current Prime Minister!
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by shadowdweller)
As simple as the title, which GCSE subjects do you think should be compulsory, and why? Are there any ones that are required now that you think shouldn't be? :holmes:
The current ones are fine, but add in an MFL and perhaps throw in statistical literacy in the mix too
Leahhhoxo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Maths, English a language and an art related subject.
Kaffee_1998
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by shadowdweller)
1) STEM Subjects

Maths, English and Sciences are the fundamentals that should always be the priory at GCSE level.

2) Computing/Information Technology

This topic should be more geared towards cyber-security, programming skills and the fundamentals of a computer system and not just teaching kids how to use Microsoft office PowerPoint or work etc, that should be taught in the stem subjects as crossover topics.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
Languages. Go to Western Europe and almost everyone you meet is fluent in English as well as their home language. Why can't we be like that too? ICT as well, computer skills are an essential life skill nowadays and in poorer areas not everyone will have a laptop/desktop at home.

I'd support something that covers issues like careers, finances and even politics, as Labour will try and reduce the voting age to 16 when they win the next election. Maybe that could be incorporated into PHSE.

Science should be optional. I don't have a Science GCSE and I can't say it's had any impact on my life. All the basic stuff you actually need to know is taught in Years 7-9.

It's been over a decade since I was at school so apologise if this stuff already exists!
English is far more useful (applicable almost globally) to learn than Western European languages. As I said above, a GCSE in a language doesn't really give you any functional level of fluency, that's what A-level attempts to teach. Not even remotely comparable to how other countries treat English. Schools often force a modern foreign language on students anyway, (mostly seems to be for their own benefit, league tables and so forth) to overall negative reception from students. (it's the case with many people that I've spoke to that their lowest grade was in a language)

when they win the next election
Right.
catechin
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would like it for learning a language to be compulsory since year 3 or below! I have been lucky enough to learn French from a young age, and although I don't take it for A-Level, it is definitely an asset worth having. I would like to have been able to learn other languages such as Mandarin or Arabic when I started high school, or even lower down. If this system were implemented I would make it compulsory to do a language at GCSE, along with maths, English and a certain degree of science.

I think it would also make sense to do this with computing and ICT, however only if students had been learning how to code and about computer systems since year 7 or lower. Compulsory ICT stopped in year 9 at my school, and I wish we had done actual computing lower down school as it put me off taking it for GCSE in the end.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
English, Maths, Science, IT, = assessed + compulsory

P.E. + A new philosophy/sociology/politics course = non-assessed + compulsory

That would be my start, the first would make up part of your GCSEs, the second would be a requirement, but would not be graded for the majority of students - unless they chose to take the extended version. so double PE/Double philosophy etc.

---

Language is a tricky one. I think it should be compulsory, but at the moment its stupid making it 100% compulsory for GCSE when most students do not arrive at GCSE level with enough ability to ever progress with the language. I own a language education business, and to be honest, youve lost 90% of students already by the time they are 14 in the UK. Over here in China, and in many other countries the key period for language learning is primary school. The middle school (secondary) students that I used to work with here in china, were far far better then the Alevel students I knew in england at their respective languages over here.. You can only make language menaingful and compulsory at GCSE if it becomes a much much bigger focus at primary school. Here it is the 3rd most important subject, they study: Chinese 1st, Maths 2nd, English 3rd, Science 4th.. until they get older, then maths and science swap to the top.. but they understand that its far more bennifical to learn a language a younger age, and a science at an older age.

---

As a side note: Maths and English should also be compulsory at Alevel. They are in many parts of the world, and we should not be an exception. Alevels for me should be: Maths + English + 2/3 choices.
username2391309
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
English
Maths
Science
dxna.s
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Maths, English, Science and a foreign language. Most top unis look for at least a pass grade in a foreign language as per their entry requirements.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dxna.s)
Maths, English, Science and a foreign language. Most top unis look for at least a pass grade in a foreign language as per their entry requirements.
Only UCL actually specifies this. Overall the importance of having a language at GCSE for university is overstated, most are not fussed.
RockOrBust
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
English
Mathematics
Science
One MFL
One humanity

While perhaps not compulsory, I think the study of either an art or technology subject, should be strongly encouraged.

I believe it's important to keep the curriculum as broad as possible at GCSE level, because students narrow their choices at A-Level, so GCSE years should be a good mix of subjects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (84)
26.17%
England (108)
33.64%
Belgium (27)
8.41%
Germany (38)
11.84%
Spain (6)
1.87%