The Student Room Group

Which GCSE subjects should be compulsory?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThomH97
I would agree, but I wouldn't know what form this would take. If it's all really bland because of potential bias, and padded out with boring information then that'll likely backfire and put kids off politics. Obviously kids need to know how voting works and who's responsible for what, but that can be covered very quickly. Perhaps a more fluid course where kids debate various political statements from the past week in class, but this could be potentially difficult for a teacher to keep civil especially if they have PMQs as an example.

You make a good point. If a kid stands up in class then brazenly and unashamedly announces that he supports the BNP and the Lib-Dems are traitors who can get stuffed then how will this go down? Will the politics course give serious and impartial coverage to Nationalism or is it a flavour of politics that is beyond the pale and extremist?
I don't think that Religion should be compulsory as it's completely relevant to everyone and it should be an option
Reply 62
Original post by Ray_Shadows
i think a subject with practical content (PE,ICT,DT,Dance,drama etc) should be compulsory

Why, practical subject are no use at all to most academic people.

Compulsory subjects should be-

Maths
English Lit, Lang and Speaking
3 Sciences(is compulsory at my school but not everywhere)
At least 1 Language
History
At least 1 Extra humanities subject excluding history(Geography, RS, Business Studies)
Original post by sr90
Languages. Go to Western Europe and almost everyone you meet is fluent in English as well as their home language. Why can't we be like that too? ICT as well, computer skills are an essential life skill nowadays and in poorer areas not everyone will have a laptop/desktop at home.

I'd support something that covers issues like careers, finances and even politics, as Labour will try and reduce the voting age to 16 when they win the next election. Maybe that could be incorporated into PHSE.

Science should be optional. I don't have a Science GCSE and I can't say it's had any impact on my life. All the basic stuff you actually need to know is taught in Years 7-9.

It's been over a decade since I was at school so apologise if this stuff aready exists!

I agree that we are woeful at learning languages. Other countries have a wealth of American/British TV shows, movies and songs though; theyare exposed to a lot of English material and almost learn by osmosis. I agree that a language should be compulsory, but the current format makes learning a language dull and puts people off; it really does need a revamp.

English language and Maths should be compulsory for obvious reasons. I think everyone should have a basic knowledge of the sciences as well.
Science, maths, and English language (there's no need for English literature imo). I'd also like to see all students take triple science rather than the dual award.
A ‘How to use your damn manners and learn to be nice.’ GCSE.

A lot of people need it.
Original post by Zoqua
Why, practical subject are no use at all to most academic people.

Compulsory subjects should be-

Maths
English Lit, Lang and Speaking
3 Sciences(is compulsory at my school but not everywhere)
At least 1 Language
History
At least 1 Extra humanities subject excluding history(Geography, RS, Business Studies)

why should history be compulsory , and it's nice to have atleast 1 practical subject because it enhances student skills better than writing essay for all subjects , it can also open doors and interest that students never thought they could
Reply 67
why should history be compulsory , and it's nice to have at least 1 practical subject because it enhances student skills better than writing essay for all subjects , it can also open doors and interest that students never thought they could

History should be compulsory because it is very important to know what's happened previously so we can affect the modern day, and History isn't that difficult, so most people could get by. Practical subject are really boring and subjective, you can't even do examination papers for them and they generally don't gain much academic headway(apart from possibly Music)
Original post by Zoqua
History should be compulsory because it is very important to know what's happened previously so we can affect the modern day, and History isn't that difficult, so most people could get by. Practical subject are really boring and subjective, you can't even do examination papers for them and they generally don't gain much academic headway(apart from possibly Music)

it's peoples choice if they wanna learn about medicine throughout history or whatever history gcse teaches , and not everyone is cut out for essay writing so people do find it difficult unlike practicals which take little to no skill
Reply 69
it's peoples choice if they wanna learn about medicine throughout history or whatever history gcse teaches , and not everyone is cut out for essay writing so people do find it difficult unlike practicals which take little to no skill

But Jobs with practicals in them take little to no skill, and are quite low pay... Besides, practical subjects are irrelevant for anyone who doesn't want to do practical things, and its a waste of revision time.
Original post by Zoqua
But Jobs with practicals in them take little to no skill, and are quite low pay... Besides, practical subjects are irrelevant for anyone who doesn't want to do practical things, and its a waste of revision time.

right because someone with a degree/job as a aerospace engineer (after having an interest in DT) makes less money than someone with a history degree (after having an interest in history gcse) XD

also history is useless to those you don't care for essay writing or learning about the Tudors or some ****
Original post by mc_miah
-MATHS
-SCIENCES
-RS
-ONE HUMANITY
-COMPUTER SCIENCE
-ENG LANGUAGE

NOT English Literature
(I think this applies to my school) NOT a language

English Literature is useless and most students at my age know this. No it does not help you speak, read or write better, maybe faster under exam conditions but that's about it. Shakespeare's Macbeth and Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde are irrelevant nowadays, and no student knows when they will need this

At least English Language has a section dedicated towards descriptive writing and Article writing which has its uses

Many students know that a language will NEVER help them as lot's of students don't want a career in languages. It only adds more stress to students and I don't think students would like to take it even if "it looks good on your CV"

RS should be compulsory, as in our politically correct era, knowledge of religion is so needed- no matter what, even if the religion is a pile of ******** or creates radical terrorists. This is because those who have little knowledge can be easily be swayed and indoctrinated by politicians or religious leaders- for good and for bad More right-wing extremist parties could emerge, or more left wing. More terrorists could emerge because they misinterpreted things of their own religion. No matter what Knowledge is needed. KNAWLEDGE is POWAH!!

I cba writing anymore

English Literature is not useless. Also, Shakespeare is far from irrelevant, considering the fact that his plays and poems are still popular around the world and productions of his plays are still regularly performed.

What a silly thing to say that English Literature does not help you to read or write better. You learned to read through literature in the first place as a child.

Also, most universities prefer English Literature to Language because they recognise its value as a subject that requires deep analytical thinking and contemplation over texts.
Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and English + A modern foreign language, a humanities subject, Latin, Classics, politics and Philosophy & ethics.
Latin is the fundamental building stone of the english language and is especially significant in scientific fields
Classics provides a more philosophical and civillied approach towards political arguments
Politics, removes bigotry and educates the population on the significance of a democratic system, the mechanisms of parliamentary reform and their power.
P & E- We live in a Christian country, therefre Christianity should be taught across all schools in the UK, to reinforce our sovereignty and identity, as well as encouraging students a more developed perspecitve to the value of life, being more accepting to the diverse spectrum of beliefs and culture.
Reply 73
Original post by Science99999
Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and English + A modern foreign language, a humanities subject, Latin, Classics, politics and Philosophy & ethics.
Latin is the fundamental building stone of the english language and is especially significant in scientific fields
Classics provides a more philosophical and civillied approach towards political arguments
Politics, removes bigotry and educates the population on the significance of a democratic system, the mechanisms of parliamentary reform and their power.
P & E- We live in a Christian country, therefre Christianity should be taught across all schools in the UK, to reinforce our sovereignty and identity, as well as encouraging students a more developed perspecitve to the value of life, being more accepting to the diverse spectrum of beliefs and culture.

Hmm...
Building *block* of the *English* language
Civilised
Perspective
Therefore
How does Christianity reinforce "sovereignty"?

Are you sure you are at Harrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Hmm...
Building *block* of the *English* language
Civilised
Perspective
Therefore
How does Christianity reinforce "sovereignty"?

Are you sure you are at Harrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I touch type, and intelligence isn't determined by ones usage of correct spelling, especially on during informal conversations and platforms. And idk, just wanted to sound fancy, with sovereignty.
English Language
Maths
one of the sciences
a modern foreign language
right because someone with a degree/job as a aerospace engineer (after having an interest in DT) makes less money than someone with a history degree (after having an interest in history gcse) XD

also history is useless to those you don't care for essay writing or learning about the Tudors or some ****

History is a subject which develops fundamental skills which are evidently critical in a plethora of careers, these skills such as being analytical, critical thinking, debating, considering alternatives, concluding, and relating factors together can be applied in every working environment, especially in engineering. The content you learn may not be important, but it is the derived skills that spark creative thought and intellectual discussion. If not, atleast something which is uttered throughout history is that "you learn from your mistakes", history makes you realise this, to a huge realistic extent. History explores a new perspective, by recognising the causation and consequences of a certain event, and possible influences it has on others, the important thing.
Original post by Science99999
History is a subject which develops fundamental skills which are evidently critical in a plethora of careers, these skills such as being analytical, critical thinking, debating, considering alternatives, concluding, and relating factors together can be applied in every working environment, especially in engineering. The content you learn may not be important, but it is the derived skills that spark creative thought and intellectual discussion. If not, atleast something which is uttered throughout history is that "you learn from your mistakes", history makes you realise this, to a huge realistic extent. History explores a new perspective, by recognising the causation and consequences of a certain event, and possible influences it has on others, the important thing.

wow much better argument , i'll agree with you on that one
Original post by shadowdweller
Definitely agree programming and fundamental computer skills should be taught rather than ICT as it stands right now, which is largely redundant.

Absolutely. ICT as it stands now is completely redundant, I took an ICT BTEC course in school, part of which taught how to use Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint. Firstly Word and PowerPoint should no longer be taught as part of information technology, instead they should be incorporated into English as cross-subjects. Likewise I see no reason why excel can't be incorporated into mathematics, after all it is a useful tool for statistics and graphs. This is just my opinion.
ICT is a relic of the 1990s when far fewer kids owned a digital device. Now that the stuff kids do with digital devices is often more advanced and up to date than the ICT curriculum it has made ICT pointless as an examined subject leading to a qualification. I don't buy into the argument about poor kids who can't afford computers and smartphones. As long as the facilities are available in schools during breaktimes and after school for them to use then there should be no problems scrapping ICT as a timetabled subject.

Quick Reply

Latest