The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Angelil

The number of teachers leaving the profession and the number of parents choosing to send their kids to private and/or selective schools rather suggests not.

Grade inflation, friend. The government is so obsessed with showing improvement that it will quite happily create it where there is none.

To the top point, I never said it was good...I just said it suits us, personality-wise. The students, I mean.

And yeah, 2nd point is very true.
Reply 101
I don't know that student satisfaction in schools is especially good either - otherwise why all the behavioural problems? I know that student satisfaction in schools isn't the CAUSE of behavioural problems or anything (lol) but it's a fairly established fact that students often rebel if dissatisfied or understimulated.
Reply 102
Our universities are among the best in the world so we're doing alright
Reply 103
Rudrax
Our universities are among the best in the world so we're doing alright

Well......2 of them are...
no hero in her sky
Yeah that's likely to happen... when medical schools start admitting students with less than 5 C's at GCSE and no A-levels... :rolleyes:

Take it your one of those people that takes everything anyone says seriously :rolleyes:
Maybe it's just us cynical British people who would be disappointed if we were handed a million pounds on a plate. We're all making out that our education is bad, which in some schools it is, but atleast we have schools and it's compulsory for children to go to schools and usully don't have to travel far to get there. If you look at education in say Ethiopia and actually went there to see the education system you'd know how lucky you are.

Now would we all stop being so cynical and actually look at the plus sides of our education system, it's starting to get annoying people complaining about it all the time. I can't lie, i do complain about it now and again but it is starting to wear abit thin when you think about all the countries where not even 53% take exams let alone fail them.
Should Scotland be lumped together with Eng/wales?
I think the systems have as many differences as qualities they share, especially during secondary school, that could warrant it.
Reply 107
Thud

Don't forget the LSE, Imperial and UCL. Research-wise these are also amongst the best in the world. You would be hard-pushed to find an academic who thinks otherwise.
Reply 108
Lou76854
Maybe it's just us cynical British people who would be disappointed if we were handed a million pounds on a plate. We're all making out that our education is bad, which in some schools it is, but atleast we have schools and it's compulsory for children to go to schools and usully don't have to travel far to get there. If you look at education in say Ethiopia and actually went there to see the education system you'd know how lucky you are.

Now would we all stop being so cynical and actually look at the plus sides of our education system, it's starting to get annoying people complaining about it all the time. I can't lie, i do complain about it now and again but it is starting to wear abit thin when you think about all the countries where not even 53% take exams let alone fail them.

Education is a privilege, yes, but it doesn't automatically make our system one of the best in the world off the back of that.

If I was only allowed to eat brussels sprouts for the rest of my life, does that mean I should be "grateful" because some people in the world don't get to eat at all? Same principle.
Reply 109
Originally Posted by Thud
53.3% of Brits fail to get 5 Cs or more at GCSE. I'd say that was pretty ****ing appalling.

Not true. 53.3% fail to get Maths and English at C grade. Students continue to improve their grades in other subjects.

piemunch
Woah I never knew that

That percentage refers to those students who didn't get English and Maths at C grades.

The contextual value added element of the Performance League Tables from this year required the reporting of grades achieved in English and Maths. Prior to this the benchmark five subjects did not have to include Maths and English.
Reply 110
Nope. Best education system in Russia.
Reply 111
Thud

4, Thud. Don't forget Imperial College and UCL. :wink:
Reply 112
Zac
Nope. Best education system in Russia.

Aww...bless. You love your country, don't you? :smile:
Reply 113
yawn
Aww...bless. You love your country, don't you? :smile:

No!!! I hate Russia, but education... very well...
I don't know about the ducation exactly but Swden has the best childcare in the world so i'm assuming that their education systems just as good too, but that's just a guess before you all start slating me with facts lol.
Thud

Well considering Britains only a small country i'd say 2 world class universities is an achievement. America has loads of decent unis mostly because it's so big there's so many uni's to choose from, some were bound to be excellent.
Reply 116
Lou76854
I don't know about the ducation exactly but Swden has the best childcare in the world so i'm assuming that their education systems just as good too, but that's just a guess before you all start slating me with facts lol.

The Scandanavian countries seem to do well on all measures of competence.

However, it is Finland that consistently tops the table for best/most successful education system. :smile:

http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/24/52/39315711.pdf
Reply 117
The problem isn't the education system, even in the 'worst schools' pupils have the chance to do well. It is the way kids are bought up. The amount of anti-social behaviour which happens now is ridiculous. All these brats moan and blame their behaviour on their flawed excuse of not having anything to do. They should try reading a book! Only a part of education takes place at school after all your not there as long as you are at work. Yet lots of these kids don't go to school or want to be there so I'm guessing they don't bother with homework.
Reply 118
The problems start even before chidren embark on their formal education.

It is at pre-school age that strategies are being implemented to ensure that those from socio-economically disadvantaged backgrounds do not go on to fulfill a depressing prophecy of lack of attainment and lack of aspiration; with a consequent lack of interest in education - poverty of spirit leads to intellectual poverty.
Reply 119
yawn
The problems start even before chidren embark on their formal education.

It is at pre-school age that strategies are being implemented to ensure that those from socio-economically disadvantaged backgrounds do not go on to fulfill a depressing prophecy of lack of attainment and lack of aspiration; with a consequent lack of interest in education - poverty of spirit leads to intellectual poverty.

I agree for allot of families history just continues to repeat itself. If your mum and dad can afford a car, their fags and seem happy then why would you aspire to anything else. We live in a society where it is almost a bad thing to do well or try for something.

Latest