Turn on thread page Beta

P1-6, S1-6, M1-6 and D1-2 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering what is the largest jump in terms of difficulty between the A Level (Old syllabus) modules?

Lots of ppl have said P2-3 is a massive jump, whereas ive been told P1-2 is.

The M3 textbook looks about double the size of the M2 textbook! Also apparently M2 is nearly identicle to M1!

Any comments of P4,5,6- the further maths units?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I would say M3-4 is quite a big jump!

I can't comment on pure, as we didn't do those in order

ReputationRep:
    M2-M3 is a revolting jump...

P1 to P2 can be pretty nasty on Edexcel, but that's mainly due to trigonometry and the thorough randomness of logarithms...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faa)
    Just wondering what is the largest jump in terms of difficulty between the A Level (Old syllabus) modules?

The M3 textbook looks about double the size of the M2 textbook! Also apparently M2 is nearly identicle to M1!

Depends hugely on your exam board.
    For OCR MEI the gap between P4 and P5 is huge, as is the gap between P5 and P6. (But P4 is not too hard...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faa)

Edexcel P4, P5 and P6 were killers.

ReputationRep:
    M2 -> M3
    M5 -> M6
    P5 -> P6
    M4 -> M5
    P4 -> P5
    P2 -> P3

In that order, IMO. (Edexcel)

ReputationRep:
    I'd proabably agree with the above poster, thought i haven't done all of those modules yet.
    P2 isn't difficult at all, so P3 is a jump i suppose. Integration is a pain at first but it gets easier the more you practice. Some of the more obscure vector questions are occasionally troublesome as you need to be able to imagine the situation in your head sometimes.
    However, it's nothing you can't manage with the heinemann books and a stack of past exam papers. I taught myself P2/M2/P3 out of the books over the summer and people on here were kind enough to help when i was having trouble.
    Just keep up with the work, as it's a lot to learn if you fall behind.
    It's also better to work through the book at home in addition to lessons at school, reading through the book and then doing every question can be more reliable than obscure lessons, when you're relying on a good teacher.
    If I hadn't taught myself stats and mechanics i would have failed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    I'd proabably agree with the above poster, thought i haven't done all of those modules yet.
    P2 isn't difficult at all, so P3 is a jump i suppose. Integration is a pain at first but it gets easier the more you practice. Some of the more obscure vector questions are occasionally troublesome as you need to be able to imagine the situation in your head sometimes.
    However, it's nothing you can't manage with the heinemann books and a stack of past exam papers. I taught myself P2/M2/P3 out of the books over the summer and people on here were kind enough to help when i was having trouble.
    Just keep up with the work, as it's a lot to learn if you fall behind.
    It's also better to work through the book at home in addition to lessons at school, reading through the book and then doing every question can be more reliable than obscure lessons, when you're relying on a good teacher.
    If I hadn't taught myself stats and mechanics i would have failed!
    well i boughty myself all the textbooks and revisions guides for edexcel heinemann, and i have 20hrs of lessons of maths plus probably atleast 2 hrs per night

ReputationRep:
    Same here, if you do all the questions in the heinemann textbooks and revision books, before doing as many past papers as possible the exams shouldn't be too difficult.
    I've been doing P2/P3/M2 past papers and it's amazing how they walk you through the question.
    If you know the stuff the exam papers aren't going to be difficult.

ReputationRep:
    well- i myself have printed off nearly every paper for every module 2000+, but i know our teachers are going to be giving us 2x tests per week including 80's papers

ReputationRep:
    It's also useful to get some a non syllabus specfic book (especially if wanting to go on to university mathematics), in order to try to sample different types of questions.
    I don't know whether you've noticed but exam questions in the same module are nearly always of the same type of questions.

ReputationRep:
    well i will agree i do look at other books- but at school we dont even use the textbooks so the questions we are set will be of a mixed nature. yeh so i have 20 hrs of lessons, plus from 3pm till 6pm me and my friend stay afta school just doing sum maths, but we will also have lessons and tests during this time..... but overall will probably be doing over 30hrs of maths a week....

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 13, 2004

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.