The Student Room Group

Enjoy college?

i’m scared ive chosen the wrong college courses and i’m going to regret what i chose!

can anyone shed anything about life at college?
thanks in advance :smile: x
Hey, what did you choose for your subjects and have you already stared them or are you going to college next year?
i start college in september! i’ve currently only applied for Early Years and Childcare courses

However, i’m a dancer and dancing is my life! i study street dance but most dance a levels only study ballet and contemporary which i don’t have experience in!

did i choose the wrong subject? x
Ooo sounds interesting, I think you'll need to decide if you want to dance or teach as a career. How about teaching younger children how to dance, you could help out with dance clubs and volunteer coach the kids. I don't know if that's something you'd want to do or if you need an A-Level dance to be able to teach dance.
I know you'll want to carry on dancing so you can carry on with dance outside the child care courses in dance groups which you're probable already doing.
I don't know if that helped in anyway haha, I don't know that much about dance.
Original post by Sarah_g_24
Ooo sounds interesting, I think you'll need to decide if you want to dance or teach as a career. How about teaching younger children how to dance, you could help out with dance clubs and volunteer coach the kids. I don't know if that's something you'd want to do or if you need an A-Level dance to be able to teach dance.
I know you'll want to carry on dancing so you can carry on with dance outside the child care courses in dance groups which you're probable already doing.
I don't know if that helped in anyway haha, I don't know that much about dance.

you can teach dance in clubs and outside of a school environment without a dance a level!
i adore children and want to be able to give them my knowledge of dance (i’m not your typical dancer)!

have you been through college or currently there?
thanks you x
Yea I’m in college right now I’m a bit odd and staying for 3 Years instead of the usual 2 I’m taking English Language, which I’ll be finishing in June and Chemistry and Biology at the end of next year, last year I also did Medical Science and achieved D* subsidiary diploma 😂 nothing to do with dance haha
Original post by hollybopkins
i’m scared ive chosen the wrong college courses and i’m going to regret what i chose!

I really enjoyed college, was a lot more independence than Sixth forms and had more of an adult like treatment which was nice
Yea I’m in college right now I’m a bit odd and staying for 3 Years instead of the usual 2 I’m taking English Language, which I’ll be finishing in June and Chemistry and Biology at the end of next year, last year I also did Medical Science and achieved D* subsidiary diploma 😂 nothing to do with dance haha

that’s great though, well done! i’m so ready for the adult world of work i wouldn’t want to stay any longer than 2 yeats
Original post by Liamw1998
I really enjoyed college, was a lot more independence than Sixth forms and had more of an adult like treatment which was nice

sixth forms offer lots of A-Levels which i’m not interested in!
what do/did you study at college?
Yea I mean ideally I would’ve liked to do 2 years but it’s not that bad. I love College you get so much freedom to do what you want and there’s less restrictions to what you can do when I’m sure you’ll love it :wink:
Yea I mean ideally I would’ve liked to do 2 years but it’s not that bad. I love College you get so much freedom to do what you want and there’s less restrictions to what you can do when I’m sure you’ll love it :wink:

Thank you, i just wanted to know what it’s like as i had a hard time transitioning from primary to secondary and wondered if it would be the same
sixth forms offer lots of A-Levels which i’m not interested in!
what do/did you study at college?

I did an extended level 3 diploma in Engineering. Got D*D*D* (equivalent points etc to 3 A*s at A level) and am now looking to go to university. This course allows me access to virtually any engineering degree, however the top 10ish for each subject often require maths A level at grade A alongside the course, which I wasn’t offered, so that rules them out.

It was much more relaxed than sixth form and it’s nice to be treated with a bit of respect. Having to call a person by sir or mr whatever or mrs whatever is ridiculous and degrading, nice to call them on first name basis and have a lot more freedom and general respect
Original post by Liamw1998
I did an extended level 3 diploma in Engineering. Got D*D*D* (equivalent points etc to 3 A*s at A level) and am now looking to go to university. This course allows me access to virtually any engineering degree, however the top 10ish for each subject often require maths A level at grade A alongside the course, which I wasn’t offered, so that rules them out.

It was much more relaxed than sixth form and it’s nice to be treated with a bit of respect. Having to call a person by sir or mr whatever or mrs whatever is ridiculous and degrading, nice to call them on first name basis and have a lot more freedom and general respect

i was hoping for the college setting to be more general and basic, which it sounds like it is!

well done for getting As!!!!!!

i’m hopefully taking a BTEC so will be looking at equivalents anyway x
i was hoping for the college setting to be more general and basic, which it sounds like it is!

well done for getting As!!!!!!

i’m hopefully taking a BTEC so will be looking at equivalents anyway x

Yeah BTECs are good but a thing to consider is the BTEC needs to be relevant to the degree or whatever you wish to do afterwards. That’s the main downside of BTECs.

And yeah the best way to describe it is sixth form feels like much more of a forced learning area and very school like. Probably interacted between different subject students more at sixth form though. Then at college; it was much more a case of you are either there because you want to be, or you aren’t because you don’t. More grown up approach.

At sixth form for the first couple months they actually tried to give me detentions and stuff 😂 (I didn’t go to them at school so I’m definitely not going to them in year 12)

College does have a lot more idiots and rough people, or at least mine did, but there was a lot less interaction with people outside my course (was around 4 classes of 30 people) here (that may have been why)
(edited 6 years ago)

College helped me realise what type of a career I would like to go into and that I was pretty much wasting my time there. Also you have like 2 weeks to decide whether you like this subjects or not so you can change them. Most likely you would be put on a waiting list to get onto your desired subject when changing but from everyone I know that did this were all successful.
Original post by Jamiejames789
College helped me realise what type of a career I would like to go into and that I was pretty much wasting my time there. Also you have like 2 weeks to decide whether you like this subjects or not so you can change them. Most likely you would be put on a waiting list to get onto your desired subject when changing but from everyone I know that did this were all successful.

wow! are you at college now?

i just fear that i’ve chosen the wrong subject! :frown:

either way i want to teach young children, i could teach dance without an A-Level in it! but couldn’t teach it in an academic way (school subjects) it was have to be in an after school club or lesson privately
wow! are you at college now?

i just fear that i’ve chosen the wrong subject! :frown:

Yes My story is pretty long but basically I was doing gcses and then few weeks later I got told i passed English nd then got to do level 3 subjects but got put onto the wrong courses and then when I finally got onto the right courses I realised I was not enjoying them and have made the decision to take the apprenticeship route. Couldn' find anything in digital marketing but I did in business admin which hopefully I get and do for 12 months and after go on to find a digital marketing one. Only doing business admin as I csnt sit through another law lesson as well as it gives me an advantage to getting the dm apprenticeship.

I'm hoping the the employer will get back to me quickly as college starts on Tuesday 😭 and was pretty much told if I miss 1 more lesson I'll get kicked out. But yh currently my time at college education wise was just a waste but I did enjoy the first 2 3 months
Yes My story is pretty long but basically I was doing gcses and then few weeks later I got told i passed English nd then got to do level 3 subjects but got put onto the wrong courses and then when I finally got onto the right courses I realised I was not enjoying them and have made the decision to take the apprenticeship route. Couldn' find anything in digital marketing but I did in business admin which hopefully I get and do for 12 months and after go on to find a digital marketing one. Only doing business admin as I csnt sit through another law lesson as well as it gives me an advantage to getting the dm apprenticeship.

I'm hoping the the employer will get back to me quickly as college starts on Tuesday 😭 and was pretty much told if I miss 1 more lesson I'll get kicked out. But yh currently my time at college education wise was just a waste but I did enjoy the first 2 3 months

oh that’s such a shame that your college screwed things up for you! we’ve been told that placements for work experience will be figured out for me! :frown: hoping everything gets sorted correctly

Quick Reply

Latest