Dilly18
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I love physics and would love to take it as an A-Level but have been told that it's unwise if I don't take maths with it. I'm good at maths but not passionate or really skilled enough to take it as an A-Level. Is anyone doing this? Thanks
Radioactivedecay
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes it is completely fine because the current Alevels are designed in such a way that no A level depends on any other A level, so you should be good.
Dilly18
Rep:
?
Great thank you!
lolu123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Radioactivedecay)
Yes it is completely fine because the current Alevels are designed in such a way that no A level depends on any other A level, so you should be good.
are u sure
Radioactivedecay
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lolu123)
are u sure
100%. Look it up.
lolu123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Radioactivedecay)
100%. Look it up.
where can i?
99coldplayer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dilly18)
I love physics and would love to take it as an A-Level but have been told that it's unwise if I don't take maths with it. I'm good at maths but not passionate or really skilled enough to take it as an A-Level. Is anyone doing this? Thanks
There is someone in my class who doesn't take the A Level and although it can be quite a struggle at first for him as A2 maths content is used in equations, he's predicted an A* so it can be done!
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
where can i?
Look at the physics specification, or a textbook.

Most of the maths is only really GCSE-level.
Radioactivedecay
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
where can i?
Google seems like a good start.
Dilly18
Rep:
?
Thank you! My physics teacher say it's fine but he is obviously more bias in his opinion so I was very unsure
SlashaRussia
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dilly18)
You don't have to take A level maths at all! The only reason that it's really recommended so often, is that any uni course that is physics related, will most likely require maths also.

But content wise, you can get through Physics without AS level maths at all! You might get a bit stuck on mechanics and stuff at first, but it's not too bad and you could definitely do it.
astro-hannah
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes you will be fine as long as you put the work in. There's a couple of people in my physics class who do not do maths and they are coping fine.
Dilly18
Rep:
?
Great!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As above, the reasoning has nothing to do with the A-level content, but what comes after. You cannot continue in Physics (or engineering, CS, etc, etc) without A-level Maths 99% of the time. Hence, those who take Physics normally take Maths.

If you like Physics there's no reason you shouldn't like Maths - particularly when you get to the more relevant and interesting topics in A-level which help you understand the underlying physics (plus physics is realistically just applied maths...). Maths at GCSE tends to be very dull and uninteresting, it's considerably different at A-level.

So the question isn't whether you can take A-level Physics without Maths, it's whether you should take it without Maths.
m005eman
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As somebody who takes physics and not maths, its definetly doable, the maths is explained in some textbooks, and there are books out there that are just full of the all the maths needed for physics, e.g. cgp have one. Just gotta stay ontop of it, i’d say the most difficult part of physics is knowing what parts of maths to apply, it is generally gcse level tho
Dilly18
Rep:
?
Thank you everyone! Just what I needed to know/hear!
Fetty_Wap
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I just finished year 13 and came out with an A overall in physics A2 and i did the new spec for OCR, I honestly really would not recommend doing physics without maths, i think in AS you might be fine but you will really struggle in A2, there was only 1 person in my year of about 50 students taking physics who didn't do maths and he dropped out after a couple of months. I know this probably isn't what you want to hear but having done the new spec I really would say doing this isn't wise.
JackFin
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It will be noticeably harder if you don’t do maths but not impossible
0h_n0
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There are plenty of people at my school doing A-level physics without maths, me included, but I think that you will be fine doing it without maths, especially if your teacher would be willing to give you extra help if you are lagging on the maths part, which no doubt they would be!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (4)
11.76%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (11)
32.35%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (2)
5.88%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (4)
11.76%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (1)
2.94%
I think it's an unfair expectation (11)
32.35%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
2.94%

Watched Threads