The Student Room Group

IF you were an A*A*A* student, but couldnt go to Oxbridge/London, where would you go?

IF you were an A*A*A* student, but couldnt go to Oxbridge or London, which British Uni would you go to instead?

What would be your 1st and 2nd choice place to study (in the UK) if your grades meant you could go anywhere else you liked?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamesman13jf72
IF you were an A*A*A* student, but couldnt go to Oxbridge or London, which British Uni would you go to instead?

What would be your 1st and 2nd choice place to study (in the UK) if your grades meant you could go anywhere else you liked?

1st: St Andrews

2nd: Depends on subject; generally York

Posted from TSR Mobile

warwick or bristol
Durham
Edinburgh
Southamptons good or St. Andrews
St. Andrews or Durham
Original post by laurawatt
Southamptons good or St. Andrews

Interesting Southampton, do you go there, is it nice?
I'd just go abroad, I could go to much better universities in the US for example with those grades than universities outside of London and Oxbridge.
Warwick and Bath probably. (but that's mainly because they're both exceptional for maths)
Original post by tinycharlie
I'd just go abroad, I could go to much better universities in the US for example with those grades than universities outside of London and Oxbridge.

I was referring specifically to British unis, i'm interested to know where people would realistically like to go if they could pick their uni - apart from the obvious choices

Maths? Warwick, Bath

CompSci? Bristol, Warwick, Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Southampton
(edited 6 years ago)
St. Andrews, Warwick, Queen's Belfast (because they have an excellent Criminology course) or Edinburgh
I was referring specifically to British unis, i'm interested to know where people would realistically like to go if they could pick their uni - apart from the obvious choices

Oh, then I probably wouldn't go to university and I'd just start my own business. I just wouldn't have an interest in going to an average university when my main goal of university is to meet exceptional students+exceptional teacher+have exceptional future opportunities. Regular university fails to do that while Oxbridge and a few others do have that. Of course there will be a small minority of like minded individuals who strive to create, are entrepreneurs, and truly enjoy in intellectual conversation, but they are far and few in average universities, and I'd have a better time using 3 years to develop and do what I wanna do than doing a degree in an unremarkable university.

For nice cities Bristol or Edinburgh.
Maybe still Sheffield. I was predicted A*AA and got offers from "better" unis than Sheffield, but I absolutely loved the open day and course there, so that's where I'm going in September.

Otherwise maybe Surrey or Southampton (to do MLang). Or Durham based on subject rankings, but I don't really know anything about it.
Original post by tinycharlie
Oh, then I probably wouldn't go to university and I'd just start my own business. I just wouldn't have an interest in going to an average university when my main goal of university is to meet exceptional students+exceptional teacher+have exceptional future opportunities. Regular university fails to do that while Oxbridge and a few others do have that. Of course there will be a small minority of like minded individuals who strive to create, are entrepreneurs, and truly enjoy in intellectual conversation, but they are far and few in average universities, and I'd have a better time using 3 years to develop and do what I wanna do than doing a degree in an unremarkable university.

Fair enough, do you not think the Maths/Finance students at Warwick and the students generally at St Andrews and Durham are so less high in calibre?
One of:

Durham, Edinburgh, St Andrews. Maybe some other uni for certain subjects (Bath comes to mind for maths). These three unis are pretty much where a lot of the Oxbridge rejects go, especially if they're based up North.
1: edinburugh.
2: bristol.

Really depends on the subject.

I'm a Scottish student in the middle of applying for medicine, and applied within Scotland because of fees. My "first" or favourite choice is Dundee, because they've got an amazing teaching hospital and the style of course would really suit me. However, I also applied to Aberdeen, St Andrews and Glasgow, and tbh I'd go anywhere if they accept me.
Probably Edinburgh in general, because sure Warwick is good but it'd be nice to not live in the ass-end of Coventry :tongue: maybe Southampton/Bath/Bristol depending on course.

Also I mean, technically Girton isn't in Cambridge...does that count? :tongue:

Otherwise, internationally I guess. There are plenty of good universities outside the UK (and the US, for that matter).

Quick Reply