The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

Ask accommodation

I work within Accommodation Services at UoN.

Anything you want to know that's accommodation related, feel free to ask here. I'll try to respond as honestly as I am able to do so.
We're extremely busy here so it might take a while for a response but I will try to answer all questions where possible. Please don't ask the same questions over and over though.

Bear in mind that this is a public forum though so don't reveal personal details on the boards.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Where can i find pictures of the halls? (interior) As i have been searching but can find none! Also, are Single-study bedrooms the "norm" at Nottingham? As i probably would like the basic normal-standard room that the majority of people have at Nottingham! (going with the flow: p )

Edit: By photos of the interior, i meant the hallways/bar etc. Not just what the room looks like, i could find photos of them:smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Reply 2
I am on a gap year and won't be in the country until mid April. Are all the accommodation application forms done online? Do I have to send any letters or anything to the university regarding accommodation?
Reply 3
Joe555
Where can i find pictures of the halls? (interior) As i have been searching but can find none! Also, are Single-study bedrooms the "norm" at Nottingham? As i probably would like the basic normal-standard room that the majority of people have at Nottingham! (going with the flow: p )

Edit: By photos of the interior, i meant the hallways/bar etc. Not just what the room looks like, i could find photos of them:smile:

Photos of interiors: Well you could start with the various virtual tours. The BBC did some a few years ago and that includes some dining rooms.

Beeb

Also there are the official virtual tours on the Uni website

Uni tours/

The marketing department has a massive archive of photos and again includes some interiors of buildings but you may need to ask for permission from a kindly member of staff there in order to access them.

Marketing

In general though there really isn't that many photos of the mixes etc around as they are fairly new and the department only has a tiny budget for marketing and not many staff to get out there and take pics.

You could also try googling the hall you are interested in. A quick search for "Hu Stu" brings up the hall page which is updated very rarely but gives you a few photos in the Karni and Activities section. Most halls have their own website but we don't tell you about them as it tends to encourage people begging and pleading for a particular hall and we all know you can't request that specifically.

There are about 3200 University owned student bedrooms on campus. Of those, the room types with the largest frequency is Single Study and En-Suite in that order. So by default most people do have a single study.

However, don't just go with whats popular. Go with whats right for you. Does you're budget allow you to go for a single study or an en-suite? Will be really struggling to cope with payments for it?

With an en-suite you will be isolating yourself more than those in a single study. Are you happy to interact only in common rooms and at meal times or would you like to know your neighbours more? I always recommend a single study or Private shared bathroom, to get you involved with your hall mates more quickly. There is the shared en-suite option as well but that causes so many headaches I can't honestly recommend them.
Reply 4
do you pay for accomodation weekly or monthly?
Reply 5
v2006
I am on a gap year and won't be in the country until mid April. Are all the accommodation application forms done online? Do I have to send any letters or anything to the university regarding accommodation?

They are all done online. No, thats actually a lie but we encourage everyone to apply online. The reason for this being is that as soon as you hit the submit button on the application form, we have it and your application will be automatically date stamped and remain safe until we allocate a room for you.

If you insist, you can have a paper application. We discourage this because there are so many stages at which it could go wrong.
How do we know if the form gets to you?
How do you know if we've sent it?
If you complete it incorrectly we have to post it back to you, whereas the online won't let you complete it incorrectly.
How do you know if we've received it when you post it back?

The list goes on and on. In an ideal world we would have a flawless system that logs all posts and lets you know we have it. In the real world we have a University post room that delivers to the wrong address on a daily basis and we just don't have enough staff to send out 7000 confirmations of receipt.

Once you have completed your application though and we have successfully received it, relax. It takes us a while but we always get an offer to you and the majority get their first choice of campus/site.
Reply 6
silk192
do you pay for accomodation weekly or monthly?

Neither.

Your payments will come to you in a standard format.

Full year students (sept-jun): 3 termly payments.

Semester students(sept-jan or jan-jun): 2 termly payments

Payments should be made by the 1st day of term, ideally. We don't punish you if you're a week late though. Keep in touch and it won't be a problem for anyone.

If you are on a bursary you can contact us and we will break this into monthly payments but thats usually the only exception.
Reply 7
While on an open day, i noticed that Cripps is sort of sectioned off with number-keys on the walls to get into your little block of flats, ie. of 18 people, 6 people on each floor, 3 floors etc. But i can remember some accomodation having just one massive hallway with rooms coming off either side, so like 50/60 people per floor or whatever. Does anyone know which halls this is please?
Reply 8
Some halls are in blocks, as you described (eg Cripps, Hu Stu, Lenton & Wortley, Lincoln) and some are organised in corridors, (eg Rutland, Florence Boot, Willoughby). I think the halls that were originally men's halls are in blocks (similar to the Cambridge college 'staircase' system), and the halls that were originally women's halls are in corridors - apparently they were deliberately designed that way.

As for photos of the inside of halls - there are some photos I took 18 months ago or so of various bits of the inside and outside of Hu Stu on the hu stu website: http://hustu.nottingham.ac.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=34
Reply 9
I don't mean to sound really snobby, but when I went up there on the open day, the on campus accomodation seemed really shabby. I then went to Broadgate Park and was really impressed with how modern and clean everything was. Is this generally the case, or was I just shown bad rooms?
Reply 10
Joe555
While on an open day, i noticed that Cripps is sort of sectioned off with number-keys on the walls to get into your little block of flats, ie. of 18 people, 6 people on each floor, 3 floors etc. But i can remember some accomodation having just one massive hallway with rooms coming off either side, so like 50/60 people per floor or whatever. Does anyone know which halls this is please?

alex-hs
Some halls are in blocks, as you described (eg Cripps, Hu Stu, Lenton & Wortley, Lincoln) and some are organised in corridors, (eg Rutland, Florence Boot, Willoughby). I think the halls that were originally men's halls are in blocks (similar to the Cambridge college 'staircase' system), and the halls that were originally women's halls are in corridors - apparently they were deliberately designed that way.

What he said.:biggrin: Nice one Alex. :yy:

Just to add to that though. All halls without exception are now mixed sex. Though there are single sex areas within most halls.
Reply 11
tomoli
I don't mean to sound really snobby, but when I went up there on the open day, the on campus accomodation seemed really shabby. I then went to Broadgate Park and was really impressed with how modern and clean everything was. Is this generally the case, or was I just shown bad rooms?

I understand what you mean and I know you're not being snobby but not all rooms on campus are like this. It sounds like you did actually see a bad batch. Broadgate Park and our other partners have a bit of an advantage when it comes to tours etc. They have specific show flats that no one ever lives in so when you see it, it looks all sparkly and new. Another advantage they have is that, if they chose to do so, 100% of profits could go into refurb and redecoration. The halls on campus hand all their money over to the Univeristy and then get a tiny little budget back to get things back up to scratch.

Reserve judgement for the moment and come back to look again during one of the University open days (not the school open day). You should see a fair balance of all room types at one of those.
Reply 12
Are the most modern self catering halls in Broadgate Park? Do you know how far the gym, library and the nearest supermarket is from BGP?
Reply 13
alex-hs

As for photos of the inside of halls - there are some photos I took 18 months ago or so of various bits of the inside and outside of Hu Stu on the hu stu website: http://hustu.nottingham.ac.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=34

Cheers! What about Derby? Is that a floor or block-type? (sorry to be a pain) Oh, and no offence, but when i spoke to some people at Nottingham, they said that there was one catered accomodation which everyone took the mick out of? Which one was this?Something about not paying a charity: p
Reply 14
Joe555
Cheers! What about Derby? Is that a floor or block-type? (sorry to be a pain) Oh, and no offence, but when i spoke to some people at Nottingham, they said that there was one catered accomodation which everyone took the mick out of? Which one was this?Something about not paying a charity: p

Er, I think Derby's in blocks, but I'm not 100% sure.

And yes, people from Rutland do get a bit of stick, generally in the form of "Rutland take it up the arse" sung to the tune of Camptown Races, but it's not really serious - it's just hall rivalry that's been handed down the years - most halls have a 'rival' - generally their nearest neighbour, eg Hu Stu and Cripps, Rutland and Sherwood, Ancy and Cav, but it's not really ever taken seriously.
Reply 15
Lol sounds funny! I reckon if Nottingham's my firm, it'd either be Willoughby or Hu stu, to be honest! Has anyone got a map of where they are in relation to the campus/link? Or has anyone got anything to say about these accomodations? "Small rooms, good/bad jcrs/bars etc."?
Reply 16
v2006
Are the most modern self catering halls in Broadgate Park? Do you know how far the gym, library and the nearest supermarket is from BGP?

Broadgate is just across the road (literally) from the West entrance of University Park so the closest gym would be there and about a 10 minute walk away.

The hallward library is in the mahoosive and in the center of Uni Park. About 10 - 15 minutes walk.

Supermarket would be Sainsburys in the heart of Beeston town center, a 15-20 minute walk or a very short bus journey.

Broadgate does have the newest blocks of, self-catered, accommodation but it also has the oldest too.
Reply 17
I think the other self catered halls are too far away, so I only want to go to BGP. Is there any way of making sure your room is a new one lol?
Reply 18
Joe555
Has anyone got a map of where they are in relation to the campus/link?

Map of U Park

Click the clicky thing

B:smile:
Reply 19
Joe555

Derby is seperated into blocks. They have around 20-30 in each one. However, the newer extension block Matlock has 90 rooms in it which gives it the feel of a hall like Willoughby etc. and is more sociable than the other blocks. The shared ensuite block also has a large amount of people in it but is not that sociable since the rooms are amazing and they dont need to go into the corridor to go to the toilet.

Latest