Looking for a career with high pay (and moderately fast promotion) Watch

Flying Pig
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am a 23 year old arts student, currently studying on a vocational course (non degree) funding myself 100%. I have recently been debating whether or not I want to continue looking for a career in the arts - the money is dire and there are not enough jobs. I think I have been kidding myself for a while now about my prospects.

Edit: I don't mind if the route is a difficult route

What I am looking for:
-Something with a high salary.
-Something with a good career progression.
-Something to be proud of.
-Something moderately interesting

What I am good at:
-Being assertive / leading
-Persuasion
-Creative subjects such as art, music, dance.
-Being convincing
-Critical thinking
-Good with computers and basic programming knowledge

My qualifications:
-A levels in Drama, Music, History, Media
-13 GCSEs grades A* - C

Careers I have considered so far include:
-Teaching
-RAF

I would appreciate any recommendations with entry requirements.
I don't currently hold a degree so a job requiring a degree would also be suitable.

I appreciate your time Hope you can help give me ideas
batya leon
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i would say dont look into something that is just for money you have to also love the job u are doing
foe example
i love art
art is my life in my spare time i always draw cartoons and characters so when im older im going to look into illustration
which BTW u would get quiet alot of money
so do something u love doing like one of ur hobbies and im sure there are ways and opportunities were ull get alot of money
Flying Pig
Rep:
?
(Original post by batya leon)
i would say dont look into something that is just for money you have to also love the job u are doing
foe example
i love art
art is my life in my spare time i always draw cartoons and characters so when im older im going to look into illustration
which BTW u would get quiet alot of money
so do something u love doing like one of ur hobbies and im sure there are ways and opportunities were ull get alot of money
Yeah sure, but I'm looking for alternatives for the following reasons:

-My mum wants me to move out. I won't be able to support myself so I need either university or a full time job which leads to a career.

-It's stressful finding a jobs in the arts field.
batya leon
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
true
r u good at illustrating u can earn around £65,000 a year i think
FATMANNOLONGER
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
true
lol
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Flying Pig)
What I am looking for:
-Something moderately interesting...
Shame I was going to say medicine then realised you are all about arts.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
>arts student
>career

literally what

Spoiler:
Show

You could always become a solicitor. It only takes one year of legal academic study.
Dylan7889
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't know your design/art abilities but possibly product design ?
CambridgeAppli
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Isn't this all that anyone wants?

A high paying and high powered career, and something to be proud of. This is literally what everyone wants.
Jack22031994
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am a 23 year old arts student, currently studying on a vocational course (non degree) funding myself 100%. I have recently been debating whether or not I want to continue looking for a career in the arts - the money is dire and there are not enough jobs. I think I have been kidding myself for a while now about my prospects.

What I am looking for:

What I am good at:
-Persuasion
-Being convincing
-Critical thinking

My qualifications:
-13 GCSEs grades A* - C

-Teaching
-RAF

I don't currently hold a degree so a job requiring a degree would also be suitable.

Professional Footballer
YouTuber with 1m subs +
Area Manager of a large national/multinational chain
Actor
Successful Music Artist
Member of Parliament

Trying o think of jobs you dont need a degree for which pay well

Dont think youll get a high paying job straight out of A-Levels tbh, and btw if you went to uni, where would you live in the Summer??
batya leon
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CambridgeAppli)

A high paying and high powered career, and something to be proud of. This is literally what everyone wants.

not everyone
i want to do something i love and wont get bored of it
nothing to do with money
HateOCR
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ecolier)
😂 you just mugged OP off. But the truth hurts and there was no other way to phrase that.
CambridgeAppli
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
not everyone
i want to do something i love and wont get bored of it
nothing to do with money
The thread title literally says "high pay".

Literally, EVERYONE who is serious about their career, which is the vast majority of everyone, wants a job with high pay, something you won't get bored with, fast promotion, i.e everything described.

I'll save all the "shoot for the stars" crap, if your in arts you'll probably have trouble finding any job, at least immediately. End of.
Jack22031994
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You could also start your own business OP. Be your own boss, screw having one!

A successful business would be something to be proud of, even if it doesn't make you millions
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
nothing to do with money
Unless you're already rich that is a lie. Would you work 40+ hours a week doing something you love for free? The reality is you need money to support yourself and your family.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Student-95)
Unless you're already rich that is a lie. Would you work 40+ hours a week doing something you love for free? The reality is you need money to support yourself and your family.
Funnily enough, the hippie-style "who cares about money" crowd tend to be in a position where they take up supplementary, menial jobs just to fund their hobby. Think of an artist stacking shelves when they're not painting, or a musician doing some temporary admin job in a record label during his/her recording and production period.

No matter how passionate the OP is about their hobby, they'll still be miserable if they have to fund it through a *****y job without prospects. The OP has realised this - it's others in the thread that are lagging behind.
-Eirlys-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CambridgeAppli)

What I thought!

true
Are you serious? That's like the wage of a qualified psychologist with years of experience. :lol:

What I am looking for:

What I am good at:
-Persuasion
-Being convincing
-Critical thinking

My qualifications:
-13 GCSEs grades A* - C

-Teaching
-RAF

Pretty much any job you wish to earn a good wage in, nowadays, requires a degree. You could be an art teacher, they need more teachers.
Flying Pig
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
(Original post by HateOCR)
😂 you just mugged OP off. But the truth hurts and there was no other way to phrase that.
The point I was making is that I wouldn't mind retraining completely.

(Original post by JohanGRK)
Funnily enough, the hippie-style "who cares about money" crowd tend to be in a position where they take up supplementary, menial jobs just to fund their hobby. Think of an artist stacking shelves when they're not painting, or a musician doing some temporary admin job in a record label during his/her recording and production period.

No matter how passionate the OP is about their hobby, they'll still be miserable if they have to fund it through a *****y job without prospects. The OP has realised this - it's others in the thread that are lagging behind.
Exactly, I've realised this and need to change it. Retrain, do something else. You can always do something else - I could take A Levels with a private tutor and then do a degree?

(Original post by hannxm)
What I thought!

Are you serious? That's like the wage of a qualified psychologist with years of experience. :lol:

Pretty much any job you wish to earn a good wage in, nowadays, requires a degree. You could be an art teacher, they need more teachers.
I was thinking as teaching being an option.
username853993
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

What I am looking for:

What I am good at:
-Persuasion
-Being convincing
-Critical thinking

My qualifications:
-13 GCSEs grades A* - C

-Teaching
-RAF

1. With what you listed you just want a career that offers everything, chances are, you will have to comprise somewhere/in multiple places (at least at the start of your career)

2. You said you're interested in art but you havent said what area of the art world you want to work in, I cant give relevant advice without that (ie concept artist, illustrator, animator, tattoo artist, technical artist, fine artist etc etc) as some are easier to get into than others and all the routes are different

3. If you havent done a degree yet and can go for any degree (even if that means doing some alevels first) then any career path is potentially open to you really (doctor, dentist, nurse, engineer, any finance role etc etc etc)

4. You could become a programmer if you increase your skill level, that pays well and is challenging (and rewarding to some people, do you enjoy it?)
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The point I was making is that I wouldn't mind retraining completely...
Well in that case I would suggest medicine as a career then, because for me it fulfills the 4 criteria that you listed. You get a promotion every year, a pay rise every year (provided you have been a good boy / girl), see interesting cases (whatever specialty - well maybe not orthopaedics , and is a respected profession!

Let me know if you need any further information!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (283)
60.6%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.71%
No- I want it (128)
27.41%
No- I don't want it (34)
7.28%

Watched Threads