Rodbarajas
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi guys

Looking to move back to North West of England for F1. I was hoping that someone could give me some advice re choosing a hospital as I can't find any advice on what's good/what's bad (apart from MRI is rubbish!).

My EPM score is 45, so if I reckon total score will be 80-87ish.

I think if I were to list my priorities, they would be:

1) Close to Manchester (don't want to be in Lancashire, Barrow, L'pool etc)

2) Would prefer to be at DGH (heard it's a better experience)

3) Want to be at a hospital where there is a really tight knit F1/F2 community (mainly this point that I need advice on!)

In addition, it would be great if someone could give me advice on best places to live around Manchester? Don't know the city that well.

Really appreciate any help you can give me!

Thanks!
nmudz_009
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rodbarajas)
Hi guys

Looking to move back to North West of England for F1. I was hoping that someone could give me some advice re choosing a hospital as I can't find any advice on what's good/what's bad (apart from MRI is rubbish!).

My EPM score is 45, so if I reckon total score will be 80-87ish.

I think if I were to list my priorities, they would be:

1) Close to Manchester (don't want to be in Lancashire, Barrow, L'pool etc)

2) Would prefer to be at DGH (heard it's a better experience)

3) Want to be at a hospital where there is a really tight knit F1/F2 community (mainly this point that I need advice on!)

In addition, it would be great if someone could give me advice on best places to live around Manchester? Don't know the city that well.

Really appreciate any help you can give me!

Thanks!
I can't really offer any real advice about application since I'm going to be a foreign graduate, so our application process is a little different, however I do have a question: Why is MRI rubbish?

On the best places to live around manchester - I mean, I can certainly vouch for my area: West Didsbury/withington/parrswood
belis
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did my foundation training at Fairfield. It was great. Some tracks have moved to NDGH though, which was not so great. Bolton is alright.
They all tend to have a mix of good, so-so and horrific tracks to be honest.
Sjk95
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by belis)
I did my foundation training at Fairfield. It was great. Some tracks have moved to NDGH though, which was not so great. Bolton is alright.
They all tend to have a mix of good, so-so and horrific tracks to be honest.
Hi there,
I am planning to put peninne acute first but dont know the hospitals really, how have you found fairfield? Is the community of junior doctors quite good there?
I had been thinking of NMGH due to its proximity to MCR but have heard its not good elsewhere too but not why it is bad? Do you know how people have found Oldham at all?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm originally from Bury but dont know anyone who works as a doctor in the north west so I dont have a lot to go on hospital wise as I went south for medical school!
belis
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sjk95)
Hi there,
I am planning to put peninne acute first but dont know the hospitals really, how have you found fairfield? Is the community of junior doctors quite good there?
I had been thinking of NMGH due to its proximity to MCR but have heard its not good elsewhere too but not why it is bad? Do you know how people have found Oldham at all?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm originally from Bury but dont know anyone who works as a doctor in the north west so I dont have a lot to go on hospital wise as I went south for medical school!
I have moved from North West 2 years ago so I don't have the latest. I think you still end up doing some tracks in different hospitals as they house different specialities. Fairfield is the smallest. I think the community is going to vary every year. It is made by the foundation doctors so essentially it depends on you and your colleagues what you make of it. North is busy. I can't say that I have particularly happy memories from working there but it was a good experience, very character building. Haha

Have you got preference about jobs? I think it makes more sense to rank your tracks based on the specialities you fancy trying out and not hospitals.
Sjk95
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by belis)
I have moved from North West 2 years ago so I don't have the latest. I think you still end up doing some tracks in different hospitals as they house different specialities. Fairfield is the smallest. I think the community is going to vary every year. It is made by the foundation doctors so essentially it depends on you and your colleagues what you make of it. North is busy. I can't say that I have particularly happy memories from working there but it was a good experience, very character building. Haha

Have you got preference about jobs? I think it makes more sense to rank your tracks based on the specialities you fancy trying out and not hospitals.
Tbh the best tracks for me were at Oldham, especially as that was the only place that had one that included paeds and obs and gynae but I don’t know if there’s any nice areas to live really near Oldham without heading away from Manchester and I really wanted somewhere on the tram line
belis
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
North Manchester is great for Tram as the stop is near hospital. I think Oldham is OK to live in, not that different to Bury, maybe a bit nicer than Crumpsall. It's all relative. I lived in Bury for a while, near the hospital, and it was nice and fairly easy to commute on public transport to different hospitals.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (76)
67.26%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
18.58%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
14.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise