The Student Room Group

Chemistry at A-level

Is chemistry at A-level tough ?
Original post by Studentthings

It is but with hard work, you can surely do well.
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
It is but with hard work, you can surely do well.

Yh 100% do it because even though the content is kinda difficult, if you do past papers then you'll hopefully do well. Are you wanting to do biology aswell?

Honestly, it really isn’t, especially if you do other sciences and maths. Just requires decent memorisation and practice.
A level chemistry requires understanding of the principles learnt. You will be tested on the application if that understanding.
Memorising will not get you a great grade at A level chemistry.

The maths is not difficult. The hardest thing about the maths content is knowing what maths to apply.
Original post by mysteryofchem
Yh 100% do it because even though the content is kinda difficult, if you do past papers then you'll hopefully do well. Are you wanting to do biology aswell?

Not so sure ,kinda confused between Biology and Chemistry,I have to make a choice.PLEASE HELP!
Reply 7
Not so sure ,kinda confused between Biology and Chemistry,I have to make a choice.PLEASE HELP!

yes it's hard. biology is also hard. it depends what you find harder..
biology has a lot more memorisation, key terms and most importantly, you need to apply stuff
chemistry is more calculations based and has some key terms but in terms of applying stuff, it's pretty similar to biology
i'm assuming you're in year 11? most colleges have like a probation period where students get used to their subjects and switch if they want to so you could just put down chemistry and if it's not for you, switch to biology. you might want to check with the college you apply to tho...
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by nyxnko_
yes it's hard. biology is also hard. it depends what you find harder..
biology has a lot more memorisation, key terms and most importantly, you need to apply stuff
chemistry is more calculations based and has some key terms but in terms of applying stuff, it's pretty similar to biology
i'm assuming you're in year 11? most colleges have like a probation period where students get used to their subjects and switch if they want to so you could just put down chemistry and if it's not for you, switch to biology. you might want to check with the college you apply to tho...

Well,I just finished year 11 last year and i'm going to 12 in some days. Thanks for the advice,hopefully I would go to a collage that has a probation period.

Quick Reply

Latest