The Student Room Group

Are there any subjects that can’t be studied at home?

I’m looking into self-studying for A levels, but I think I remember reading somewhere that one or some of the sciences require a practical element, making it a subject that couldn’t really be studied at home, presumably. Could someone tell me if I’ve got that right, and if so, which subjects (not just science) would have to be ruled out?
Reply 1
Anything with NEA (aka coursework - Art, DT, Englishes, Geography, History...) is very hard to self-study as there is no one to authenticate the work as yours. What were you thinking of studying?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Compost
Anything with NEA (aka coursework - Art, DT, Englishes, Geograpjhy, History...) is very hard to self-study as there is no one to authenticate the work as yours. What were you thinking of studying?

Thanks for your reply. I was looking at doing English Lit, history, and a third subject I hadn’t decided on yet. I’ve looked in the forums about home-studying a levels, and quite a few people have done literature, so surely the written coursework can be sent to the exam board for marking?
Reply 3
Original post by KoreVictoire
Thanks for your reply. I was looking at doing English Lit, history, and a third subject I hadn’t decided on yet. I’ve looked in the forums about home-studying a levels, and quite a few people have done literature, so surely the written coursework can be sent to the exam board for marking?

Coursework is normally marked by the centre and moderated by the exam board. It used to be possible for private candidates to get their work marked directly by AQA but I believe it's no longer the case -you'd have to check. Even when it was possible, there still had to be someone with enough contact with you (i.e. your tutor or teacher) during writing your coursework to be prepared to certify it as your work.
(edited 6 years ago)
Modern Languages certainly could be studied at home, but you'd have to find a centre willing to let you sit the oral exams. I looked into self-studying a GCSE language during my gap year, but this is where I came across issues. I suppose if you wanted to do a common language (French/German/Spanish) and you had a good relationship with a language teacher at your current school it might be do-able.

The best subjects would be something like maths which is 100% final written exam.
Sciences are a little tricky and a bit of a grey area. Some exam boards say that you have to take the practical exam, some say you don’t. Universities say you have to pass if you take it but don’t declare it a necessity. You could go to a practical exam testing centre to do experiments if that’s something your interested in.

Also yes, I agree I won’t pick coursework subjects.

History I did okay self study. Some courses and exams have coursework so look out for that. If you’re interesting in history are maybe check out Politics? I self studied that and it’s a great one to do at home. Other ones I think are good to do at home are sociology, maths, and psychology.

If you do them at home you have a lot more choice really! Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest