The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

clarification on course choice

im wondering about whether i picked the right course at newcastle. ucas course code H3H8, its called mechanical engineering with biomedical engineering.
i was planning on doing the 3 years for the bachelors but then swapping unis to continue with the biomedical engineering. my concerns are these 2 things:

am i able to talk to newcastle and leave the course after 3 yrs (the problem here is that its an integrated masters course)?

i didnt inquire newcastle about which portion of their course is biomedical related. for example if after 3 years i am able to swap to another uni, will i have only learnt mechanical engineering and not the biomedical stuff? i cant tell whether i only begin learning biomed in the last year, nor whether other universities also only teach the biomedical eng portion in the 4 year, and would normally teach mechanical engineering for the rest like im assuming newcastle does. in a nutshell, would i be able to successfully switch unis (very few knowledge gaps) if i only did newcastle's 3 years?
Original post by gggggddddrt
im wondering about whether i picked the right course at newcastle. ucas course code H3H8, its called mechanical engineering with biomedical engineering.
i was planning on doing the 3 years for the bachelors but then swapping unis to continue with the biomedical engineering. my concerns are these 2 things:

am i able to talk to newcastle and leave the course after 3 yrs (the problem here is that its an integrated masters course)?

i didnt inquire newcastle about which portion of their course is biomedical related. for example if after 3 years i am able to swap to another uni, will i have only learnt mechanical engineering and not the biomedical stuff? i cant tell whether i only begin learning biomed in the last year, nor whether other universities also only teach the biomedical eng portion in the 4 year, and would normally teach mechanical engineering for the rest like im assuming newcastle does. in a nutshell, would i be able to successfully switch unis (very few knowledge gaps) if i only did newcastle's 3 years?

Firstly, according to http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/h3h8/#courseoverview you can transfer between any of the mechanical engineering courses up until the end of year 2, so it shouldn't be a problem to 'trade down' to the BSc.

Secondly, have you not seen http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/h3h8/#coursedetails, which lists the exact modules you would study? I am no engineer of any kind, but it looks pretty clear that the biomedical part of the course doesn't really start until year 3 and then picks up in year 4.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

All depends on the modules you're doing and what exit award they offer after three years, it d be be to talk to them directly about it.
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
Firstly, according to http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/h3h8/#courseoverview you can transfer between any of the mechanical engineering courses up until the end of year 2, so it shouldn't be a problem to 'trade down' to the BSc.

Secondly, have you not seen http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/h3h8/#coursedetails, which lists the exact modules you would study? I am no engineer of any kind, but it looks pretty clear that the biomedical part of the course doesn't really start until year 3 and then picks up in year 4.

i didnt notice the flexible structure, thanks for the highlight.

yeah i did check out the course details i still wasnt sure though. modules like materials science and electrical engineering in 2nd year still seemed fitting for an exclusive biomedical eng course to me though.
i didnt notice the flexible structure, thanks for the highlight.

yeah i did check out the course details i still wasnt sure though. modules like materials science and electrical engineering in 2nd year still seemed fitting for an exclusive biomedical eng course to me though.

OK, fair enough - do the individual module details make it any clearer?
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
OK, fair enough - do the individual module details make it any clearer?

not much clearer, since i havent started studying any of it it most of it all just looks like gibberish.
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
All depends on the modules you're doing and what exit award they offer after three years, it d be be to talk to them directly about it.

i think i'd be able to move down to beng, but yeah i think ill have to contact them about transferring universities and how well it may/may not go

Hi gggggddddrt,

I passed your query on to the school for you, here’s their response:

‘The first two years of the course are engineering based, and common across all the Mechanical Engineering degrees. The bio-engineering doesn’t really start until stage 3, with greater emphasis in Stage 4 and again the emphasis is on the engineering side not biomedical science.
Would you be looking to transfer to other bio-engineering degrees, or biomedical sciences degrees? And are you hoping to go into the final year of an undergraduate integrated Master’s degree, or to go to a postgraduate MSc?
Most universities will not allow students to study for only one year so a transfer just for the final year might not be possible.’

Perhaps raising more questions than we’re answering! If you’d like to Inbox me your preferred contact email I’d be happy to put you in touch with our teams involved to discuss your options further 😊

Best wishes,

Susie
Reply 8
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi gggggddddrt,

I passed your query on to the school for you, here’s their response:

‘The first two years of the course are engineering based, and common across all the Mechanical Engineering degrees. The bio-engineering doesn’t really start until stage 3, with greater emphasis in Stage 4 and again the emphasis is on the engineering side not biomedical science.
Would you be looking to transfer to other bio-engineering degrees, or biomedical sciences degrees? And are you hoping to go into the final year of an undergraduate integrated Master’s degree, or to go to a postgraduate MSc?
Most universities will not allow students to study for only one year so a transfer just for the final year might not be possible.’

Perhaps raising more questions than we’re answering! If you’d like to Inbox me your preferred contact email I’d be happy to put you in touch with our teams involved to discuss your options further 😊

Best wishes,

Susie

thanks, ive inboxed my email to you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending