The Student Room Group

National 5 english 2017

Hi, i am sitting my Nat5 English prelim on the 16th of January and was wondering what key information i should know :smile:
You should learn close reading techniques, such as word choice, imagry, sentence structure, and tone (or WIST) to be prepared for close reading

Learn key points/scenes/lines for your set text. For example. Quotes from a key scene which sets a tone for the rest of the play/poem/prose. And be prepared to write on the extract given to you. So go over your text a few times to get it in your head

For your essay, just learn quotes that carry significance.

hope this helped
Reply 2
Hi, I sat Nat 5 English last year.
It would be good for you to know the way to answer questions eg. if a question is asking about language you would have to be able to recognize that you need to keep your WITS about you. So you have to talk about things such as word choice, imagery, tone and sentence structure. Do this unless the question specifies one in particular.

Also very useful to become familiar with the texts your teacher gives you as you will have to write about these in the exam.
AND try extremely hard to make your folio essays the best you can as they can save your grade if you don't do as well as what you assumed in the exam!
Hope this helps.
Reply 3
It’s good to have an general essay, or at least essay plan, prepared for theme, character, character conflict and key scene.
You can bet on one of those essays turning up in prose, however don’t stress if you haven’t done them all, a couple you sort of know is okay for the prelim.
All I had for the Nat 5 prelim was theme!
For the actual exam though I covered theme, character conflict, strong character e.g. admirable character (something along those lines), a character who had developed over the course of the text, key scene, turning point and ending. (turning points and ending can also be key scenes, but the ending can’t rly be a turning point bc nothing happens after that).
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
If you are doing poetry prepare commonality links for the 8 marker and be clever with your quotes - try and find ones that fit more than one common link so you don’t have to remember as many.

Quick Reply

Latest