The Student Room Group

college or sixth form

I'm really conflicted about whether to go to college or sixth form, They both offer the A levels I want to take, however, I have to take 2 buses to get to college, while sixth form is only fifteen minutes away. I also really hate my school because of the teachers and how its managed and want to leave , but I don't want to leave my friends.
Hi!

A lot of people find the choice between college and sixth form difficult, but really the only person who can decide is you - nobody can tell you what choice to make!

Personally, I was a little torn (I ultimately went to college as the courses were more fitting for me), but I know how you feel with the 'leaving friends' situation. I ended up with all of my friends going to sixth form, and although I don't think I've made any more friends on quite the same level as the ones I had in year 11, I get on well with a lot of the people in my classes, and I'm still in contact with my closest friends from school! I hated my school and a lot of the people in it, so I found it super refreshing to be around a whole bunch of new people. A lot of people I know in a similar position have ended up with new best friends and such!

The way in which a school or college is managed is a pretty big thing in making choices, honestly; especially if you're planning on university, your further education experiences (both work and academically) can make or break an application. It's worth looking into the work experience and extra-curricular activities etc offered by each before making your choice. Also, if you don't get along with your teachers, it'll make it really hard to get the feedback and support that you need at A Level.

This is already ridiculously long, but I appreciate that this sounds a lot like I'm leaning towards college, so: the journey is important! I don't know where in the UK you are or how long each bus journey would take, but how motivated will you be to get up super early for what could potentially only be a 2-3 hour day? Also consider the delays of late buses (which is pretty common where I live), and the expenses; bus tickets can cost a lot, and not all colleges offer bursary options etc.

I hope this helped at least a little. Good luck with whichever you choose!
Reply 2
Original post by damnshinoda
Hi!

A lot of people find the choice between college and sixth form difficult, but really the only person who can decide is you - nobody can tell you what choice to make!

Personally, I was a little torn (I ultimately went to college as the courses were more fitting for me), but I know how you feel with the 'leaving friends' situation. I ended up with all of my friends going to sixth form, and although I don't think I've made any more friends on quite the same level as the ones I had in year 11, I get on well with a lot of the people in my classes, and I'm still in contact with my closest friends from school! I hated my school and a lot of the people in it, so I found it super refreshing to be around a whole bunch of new people. A lot of people I know in a similar position have ended up with new best friends and such!

The way in which a school or college is managed is a pretty big thing in making choices, honestly; especially if you're planning on university, your further education experiences (both work and academically) can make or break an application. It's worth looking into the work experience and extra-curricular activities etc offered by each before making your choice. Also, if you don't get along with your teachers, it'll make it really hard to get the feedback and support that you need at A Level.

This is already ridiculously long, but I appreciate that this sounds a lot like I'm leaning towards college, so: the journey is important! I don't know where in the UK you are or how long each bus journey would take, but how motivated will you be to get up super early for what could potentially only be a 2-3 hour day? Also consider the delays of late buses (which is pretty common where I live), and the expenses; bus tickets can cost a lot, and not all colleges offer bursary options etc.

I hope this helped at least a little. Good luck with whichever you choose!

Thanks so much for the feedback! i live in wales and the bus i would take to college is about an hour, while i can walk to sixth form, At the moment I'm leaning more towards college but its hard to make a decision!
College. College. College. If you dont like your school or how its managed, you dont want to stay there- College is so much more grown up and independent, it pushes you a little out of your comfort zone at first but it will help in the long run. And the independence required will help prepare you for university since the teachers view themselves as a tool to your learning rather than someone to spoon feed you knowldge.

Obviously all colleges and sixth forms are different and I cant only speak from my experience. And everybody is different- if being surrounded by years 7-11 and still treated like a child at the age of 17 is what you are in to, then stay at school
Reply 4
thanks! i think I'm going to go to college xx
Original post by evamae
thanks! i think I'm going to go to college xx

It'll seem really weird at first, especially if you dont know anyone but everyone is in the same boat! It will be a decision you wont regret!! Best of luck xx
Colleges have more lots more people and go for a more independent university style approach. If you will need extra support or have any difficulties colleges aren’t the best idea. However, if you think you’ll thrive with lots of people colleges are good.

Also, speaking generally of course, colleges have more funding because of more students attending. So they tend to have better facilities. Obviously this is something you’ll have to look at.

If you want a fresh start and think you can cope well with a bigger more campus style environment go with college. New friends, in a way you get to reinvent yourself which is good after so long of being in the same place.

Sixth form has some good things going for it though. They are usually smaller and the teaching can be more personalised and if you have any difficulties or disabilities they are more likely to have better support systems in place. For example colleges (from personal experience) are more interested in the grade average than your wellbeing.

I’ve been to both and college wasn’t for me because it was too big, too loud. However, I understand some thrive in that style of environment.
Reply 7
Original post by Milliemax402
Colleges have more lots more people and go for a more independent university style approach. If you will need extra support or have any difficulties colleges aren’t the best idea. However, if you think you’ll thrive with lots of people colleges are good.

Also, speaking generally of course, colleges have more funding because of more students attending. So they tend to have better facilities. Obviously this is something you’ll have to look at.

If you want a fresh start and think you can cope well with a bigger more campus style environment go with college. New friends, in a way you get to reinvent yourself which is good after so long of being in the same place.

Sixth form has some good things going for it though. They are usually smaller and the teaching can be more personalised and if you have any difficulties or disabilities they are more likely to have better support systems in place. For example colleges (from personal experience) are more interested in the grade average than your wellbeing.

I’ve been to both and college wasn’t for me because it was too big, too loud. However, I understand some thrive in that style of environment.

thank you! I think college is more suited to me as the college i would be attending is known for being good for both grades and student well being, while my school literally couldn't care less about us and only cares about our grades.
I'm also quite confident so I think I would be able to thrive in a college environment.

Quick Reply

Latest