The Student Room Group

Organic Synthesis Question

I am having trouble with this question: (attached below)

The branch looks like an ester with an N atom substituted into the butane -part. So I think it must be an alcohol although I don't know where the extra N comes from...
Step 3 needs you to make an ester, think about how this is done
Add the functional group you need, then build the rest of molecule - the nitrogen isn't needed in the reaction its just part of the molecule (it's a tertiary amine)
Original post by FXLander
I am having trouble with this question: (attached below)

The branch looks like an ester with an N atom substituted into the butane -part. So I think it must be an alcohol although I don't know where the extra N comes from...

I think its just OHCH2CH2N(C2H5)2.
Its just a tertiary amine with an -OH group. So there is no other N that appeared randomly, its just part of the structure of the alcohol.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by iElvendork
Step 3 needs you to make an ester, think about how this is done
Add the functional group you need, then build the rest of molecule - the nitrogen isn't needed in the reaction its just part of the molecule (it's a tertiary amine)

Just to clarify. By adding 'functional group you need', you mean the OH group as basically: Acyl Chloride + Alcohol --> Ester.
Original post by FXLander
Just to clarify. By adding 'functional group you need', you mean the OH group as basically: Acyl Chloride + Alcohol --> Ester.

Yeah

Quick Reply