Interrupting Uni due to mental health twice?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Sorry this is a slightly confusing question.

Basically I started my degree in 2014, and completed year 1.
I then had to take the next year (starting 2015) off because I was in hospital due to mental health problems. But I got 0 student loan for that year.
I then did my 2nd year starting 2016, and I began my 3rd and final year in sept 2017.

My mental health is now getting worse very quickly, I’m becoming more certain that I cannot finish this course this year.
(My mental health problems are very severe and well documented. My tutor already knows my full health situation)

What I really want is to be allowed another study interruption and to come back and do 3rd year in September 2018.

I was wondering if anyone knows it’s possible because 1) I’ve interrupted before, and 2) it’s halfway through the year. I just don’t want to fail my degree on the basis of my health problems.

Tomorrow is the first day my tutor is back so I plan to contact her first thing in the morning but I’m really panicking.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Sorry this is a slightly confusing question.

Basically I started my degree in 2014, and completed year 1.
I then had to take the next year (starting 2015) off because I was in hospital due to mental health problems. But I got 0 student loan for that year.
I then did my 2nd year starting 2016, and I began my 3rd and final year in sept 2017.

My mental health is now getting worse very quickly, I’m becoming more certain that I cannot finish this course this year.
(My mental health problems are very severe and well documented. My tutor already knows my full health situation)

What I really want is to be allowed another study interruption and to come back and do 3rd year in September 2018.

I was wondering if anyone knows it’s possible because 1) I’ve interrupted before, and 2) it’s halfway through the year. I just don’t want to fail my degree on the basis of my health problems.

Tomorrow is the first day my tutor is back so I plan to contact her first thing in the morning but I’m really panicking.
Its not 100% clear, but your 2015 year, then we are taking an Academic year i.e September to June? i.e you didnt return to uni and no fees or maintenance loan was taken? Thats what the rest of my post is based on.

I am also assuming no previous student finance was used for HE.

Student finance works on the basis of funding being given for degree length +1 gift year.

2014 uses one year.
2015 uses no years because you say you had no loan (for fees and maintenance)
2016 uses one year
2017 uses one year although you wish to interrupt.

Because in 2015 you didnt use any funding, then your insurance/ gify year is left intact and that can be used for your 2017 year meaning your degree finance moves from Degree+1 (where everyone starts) to Degree -2 (as including the 2017 year you will have used 3 years finance.) That means they will continue to pay from year 3 onwards i.e they will let you finish, when you come back from the second interruption.

In the event you used some finance in 2015 or previously, then your finance status would be degree -3, which would not cover your third year. because f the nature of your interruption, then they have an additional procedure called Compelling Personal Reasons CPR, which you can use in the event you are ill and if successful they can give you discretionary funding by ignoring that already given in the year you were ill. To make such a claim you need medical evidence i.e letter from P. There is always that to fall back on.

Heres a leaflet to explain

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...ZXyCyibqZOL5aj

You should also note in 2017 then they will ask for your maint payment to be repaid for the next term for the period you are not a student. they have discretion to let you keep 60 days worth. You will also need to deal with accommodation.

If youve done it before then you know the procedure.

TLDR

Yes its allowed and based on what I could glean from your situation then you will be fine for finance when you return.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (43)
37.07%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (11)
9.48%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
25%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
15.52%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.62%

Watched Threads