The Student Room Group

Do You Need A Passport Or Even A Drivers Licence To Apply For A Job/Apprenticeship?

Context: I was born and raised in The UK, I'm over the age of 18 and am looking for paid work. I have proof of my address, my birth certificate, social security number and will soon have 18+ ID. Will this be enough to pass the background checks of the job market or will I have to also splash out £80 on a passport or £40 on a provisional drivers licence?
Alot of jobs will ask for photo ID, a birth certificate isn't really proof of ID.

Besides having a passport or driving licence are useful to have even if you're not planning on learning to drive
Reply 2
They like to have photo ID but in lot's of places that I have worked if I have been able to bring along the long full version of my birth certificate, my bank account with matching name obviously and something else with my address on it and with my National Insurance number printed off from the HMRC website no one has really followed it up, or they've asked me to bring it in as soon as I can - I normally bring all of this along and then say that my passport is out of date at the moment (true) and I've just sent off to have it updated (not so true haha) and as it takes a few weeks to get a passport back they normally tell me to just bring it in once I have it back which I shall if I ever get round to updating it haha.

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending