The Student Room Group

Why is Pharmacy, Optometry and Audiology paid so much less now?

I thought they used to be really in demand, high paid etc, nearly on par with dentistry. Now it's much less. How come?
Oh damn I applied for pharmacy 😳
Reply 2
Original post by Appleorpear
I thought they used to be really in demand, high paid etc, nearly on par with dentistry. Now it's much less. How come?

So many people apply now compared to 10 years ago! Plus, there isn’t as much demand now, since there are so many pharmacists available etc.

Plus, the wages have decreased due to the huge crisis within the NHS!
Original post by Appleorpear

The career path once had high demand low supply, people saw this and then over the past 10 years or so all went to pharmacy, unis added more places to take on more students (without anymore jobs being created) and over time this continued making it huge supply and hence low demand in comparison (as well as cuts etc), unfortunately the stigma of its easy to get a job has stuck to an extent (until you look into it properly) even though that stigma of loads of jobs isnt true anymore

Its a similar thing to what is happening to things like mechanical and chemical engineering at the moment and over the past 5 or so years

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending