Which of these is grammatically correct?

Watch
complicit
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
'both of which are great assets to the study at university'

or

'both of which are great assets for the study at university'

... or neither?

Thank you!
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by complicit)

or

... or neither?

Thank you!
I'm not an expert but I would say '... to studying at university' (or studies - I think you want this instead of 'the study'

Or perhaps reword it if possible depending on the context e.g. 'Both of which are skills that can be applied to studying at university'
sterchess
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kevin De Bruyne)
I'm not an expert but I would say '... to studying at university'

Or perhaps reword it if possible depending on the context e.g. 'Both of which are skills that can be applied to studying at university'
the to vs for doesnt matter.
the key thing is changing the study to studying or "university study (ing)"
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
both of which are great assets for study at university

This works as study is used as a mass noun. It might seem clunky, in which cause gerund it to for studying at university or for undergraduate study.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

or

... or neither?

Thank you!
Doesn’t matter. University staff know which attributes are useful for university study. You don’t need to waste space in your ps pointing out the obvious. Use the space to give some specific examples of when you have demonstrated those attributes.
complicit
Rep:
?
Thanks all for the replies!

(Original post by PQ)
Doesn’t matter. University staff know which attributes are useful for university study. You don’t need to waste space in your ps pointing out the obvious. Use the space to give some specific examples of when you have demonstrated those attributes.
I am writing that sentence after mentioning that through home study(*again, is this 'study or studying ) has allowed me learn independently to organise my time efficiently, (insert sentence here).

Would it still be unnecessary to mention the sentence?

Thanks!
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

or

... or neither?

Thank you!
maybe say both of which assist greatly in University studies
complicit
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
Ah I think that sounds better thank you!

Spoiler:
Show

How does 'Moreover, through home study I have been able to learn independently and organise my time efficiently' sound (the beginning part of the sentence before 'both of which...')
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks all for the replies!

I am writing that sentence after mentioning that through home study(*again, is this 'study or studying ) has allowed me learn independently to organise my time efficiently, (insert sentence here).

Would it still be unnecessary to mention the sentence?

Thanks!
Then you don't need to spell it out. Talk about your independent study and time management - you don't have waste space in your PS to lecture admissions staff on the need for independent learning and time management in a degree.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
:spank:

But with the upper case U in 'university' replaced by a lower case u.

However, giving admissions tutors lessons in what is useful at university is just a waste of space, as has been pointed out by PQ.
complicit
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Then you don't need to spell it out. Talk about your independent study and time management - you don't have waste space in your PS to lecture admissions staff on the need for independent learning and time management in a degree.
I see! Also, if the subjects I study help me particularly for the subject of degree choice, should I mention that? e.g A level subjects 'x', 'y' and 'z', provide a valuable skill set for the study of *degree subject*, as they bla bla bla?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I see! Also, if the subjects I study help me particularly for the subject of degree choice, should I mention that? e.g A level subjects 'x', 'y' and 'z', provide a valuable skill set for the study of *degree subject*, as they bla bla bla?
only if you genuinely can't think of anything else more relevant to say. Admissions staff know what A levels you're studying and whether they're good preparation or not.

If you want to talk about your A levels then talk about specific pieces of work you enjoyed or topics you found interested (or even those you found challenging). Include specifics and it makes your PS personal.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Certainly not! They are so generic and obvious that they will apply to everyone and well known to ATs. You should use your valuable space on material that is relevant to you specifically and that makes a positive contribution to your application.
complicit
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
only if you genuinely can't think of anything else more relevant to say. Admissions staff know what A levels you're studying and whether they're good preparation or not.

If you want to talk about your A levels then talk about specific pieces of work you enjoyed or topics you found interested (or even those you found challenging). Include specifics and it makes your PS personal.
(Original post by Good bloke)
Certainly not! They are so generic and obvious that they will apply to everyone and well known to ATs. You should use your valuable space on material that is relevant to you specifically and that makes a positive contribution to your application.
Thank you, I will make changes! I'm guessing work experience would be the place to talk about what skills you gained and maybe how they are relevant to the course?
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you, I will make changes! I'm guessing work experience would be the place to talk about what skills you gained and maybe how they are relevant to the course?
A common mistake is to try and stretch all sorts of improbable and irrelevant transferable skills from a bout of dish-washing, waitressing or call answering to studying at university. Another waste of space.

Concentrate on your interest and ability in, and your potential to study your subject.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (93)
5%
Uncertainty around my education (281)
15.12%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (198)
10.65%
Lack of purpose or motivation (262)
14.09%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (82)
4.41%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (107)
5.76%
Loneliness (162)
8.71%
Financial worries (66)
3.55%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (81)
4.36%
Exposure to negative news/social media (88)
4.73%
Lack of real life entertainment (102)
5.49%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (163)
8.77%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (174)
9.36%

Watched Threads