annagreener
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I don’t know what to do as a career I study English literature, history and geography at a level but don’t really know what my career options are? I am interested in law possibly and historian ie working in research and museums. What would be the most secure career path to follow? I am currently in year 12
UoN Team
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by annagreener)
I don’t know what to do as a career I study English literature, history and geography at a level but don’t really know what my career options are? I am interested in law possibly and historian ie working in research and museums. What would be the most secure career path to follow? I am currently in year 12
Have you considered enrolling on to a joint honours course where you can pick two courses to study side by side. Take a look here at the options available at the University of Northampton.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You are doing facilitating subjects at A Level meaning you could follow lots of different courses at uni or go down many different career paths. Have a look at an application for a job in a museum near you, see what qualifications (and experience) they look for there, and go from there if you're considering working in a museum in the future.:yep: Do you have a particular A Level which you're enjoying the most?
Appleorpear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by UoN Team)
Have you considered enrolling on to a joint honours course where you can pick two courses to study side by side. Take a look here at the options available at the University of Northampton.
smooth
annagreener
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
You are doing facilitating subjects at A Level meaning you could follow lots of different courses at uni or go down many different career paths. Have a look at an application for a job in a museum near you, see what qualifications (and experience) they look for there, and go from there if you're considering working in a museum in the future.:yep: Do you have a particular A Level which you're enjoying the most?
I am enjoying history the most definitely
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi Annagreener,

What area would you say you are more passionate about, law or history? A History degree would open up more options for you and you could always do a conversion course for law if you then decide to go with a law career?

Ruth
annagreener
Rep:
?
(Original post by Liverpool Hope University)
Hi Annagreener,

What area would you say you are more passionate about, law or history? A History degree would open up more options for you and you could always do a conversion course for law if you then decide to go with a law career?

Ruth
Hi Ruth I enjoy history a lot but I feel law could lead to a more stable job with a straight career path to work towards where as I don’t really know what history has to offer caret wise?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi Ruth I enjoy history a lot but I feel law could lead to a more stable job with a straight career path to work towards where as I don’t really know what history has to offer caret wise?
History is a facilitating subject. You can go into lots of different careers with it, whereas law is quite obviously a career-driven degree course.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Some university websites have a careers section where you can view what careers previous students have gone on to. You may find this useful.

For example some Hope History graduates have went on to careers in areas such as; National Trust, The Civil Service, BBC, National Monuments Commission, Museums, Galleries and national and local newspapers.

You can also go on to further MA study in specific areas like Museum and Heritage Studies MA. So there are plenty of career options available if you were passionate about History.

It may be best for you to go visit universities on their Open Days and attend talks for both History and Law and see which course interests you the most.

Hope this helps
iodo345
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Choose a degree you are passionate about but realise that it is the experience through internships and voluntary work that is most important that help you to get a job and stand out from other graduates. It is very competitive after graduation and a lot of graduates are not in jobs using their degree.

University marketing people are more interested in how much money they can get from you hence why there are so many graduates unemployed with history and other humanities. Talk to other history or law graduates who have graduated they will be of greater help.

A degree is only the ticket to the interview. Alternatively, if you find an apprenticeship in an area that you are interested in consider this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads