Animation at Bournemouth University or Hertfordshire University 2018

Watch this thread
emw1008
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Was just wondering if anyone else has applied or has been to an interview for Computer Animation Art and Design at Bournemouth and/or 2D or 3D animation at Hertfordshire? I’ve got interviews for both unis this month and next month; feeling slightly nervous! Would really appreciate if someone could give some advice or tips please? X
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by emw1008)
Was just wondering if anyone else has applied or has been to an interview for Computer Animation Art and Design at Bournemouth and/or 2D or 3D animation at Hertfordshire? I’ve got interviews for both unis this month and next month; feeling slightly nervous! Would really appreciate if someone could give some advice or tips please? X
There's a whole bunch of posts about this in the Art and Design university courses forum and University of Hertfordshire might be able to help
University of Hertfordshire
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi emw1008

Congratulations on your interview! Try not to be too nervous Have you got your portfolio ready? We've got advice on putting your portfolio together here - https://vimeo.com/album/4284984.

I'll get in touch with moid who is one of our programme leaders for Animation and may be able to offer some advice.

Thanks,
Heather
emw1008
Rep:
(Original post by PQ)
There's a whole bunch of posts about this in the Art and Design university courses forum and University of Hertfordshire might be able to help
Thank you! I’ll give them a read ) x
emw1008
Rep:
(Original post by University of Hertfordshire)
Hi emw1008

Congratulations on your interview! Try not to be too nervous Have you got your portfolio ready? We've got advice on putting your portfolio together here - https://vimeo.com/album/4284984.

I'll get in touch with moid who is one of our programme leaders for Animation and may be able to offer some advice.

Thanks,
Heather
Hi, Heather - I’ve got a few pieces prepared, I’ve just not put it all together yet! Thank you for your help x
moid
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi there
I'm one of the lecturers at Hertfordshire and will be interviewing on that day. The interview is not a scary one - we just look at your work with you and ask you questions about it, and about what you want to do in future to discover what you know and whether the course is right for you. It's done very informally and is more of a chat than anything to be concerned about. Make sure you bring your work - have you been sent some information about the sort of work we want to see in a portfolio? PM me if you haven't and send me your email address and I'll send it over. Don't worry about wearing a suit / anything smart - just wear something comfortable. You're welcome to bring a friend / relative with you; we have a room for everyone to wait in while you are interviewed (sometimes it's nice to have company, and also it's great to have someone else to help carry your portfolio!) Let me know if you have any specific questions.
See you soon
emw1008
Rep:
(for some reason I can’t delete this post)
emw1008
Rep:
(Original post by moid)
Hi there
I'm one of the lecturers at Hertfordshire and will be interviewing on that day. The interview is not a scary one - we just look at your work with you and ask you questions about it, and about what you want to do in future to discover what you know and whether the course is right for you. It's done very informally and is more of a chat than anything to be concerned about. Make sure you bring your work - have you been sent some information about the sort of work we want to see in a portfolio? PM me if you haven't and send me your email address and I'll send it over. Don't worry about wearing a suit / anything smart - just wear something comfortable. You're welcome to bring a friend / relative with you; we have a room for everyone to wait in while you are interviewed (sometimes it's nice to have company, and also it's great to have someone else to help carry your portfolio!) Let me know if you have any specific questions.
See you soon
Hi, I got a few emails sent to me before Christmas, and a few days ago about portfolios but this was helpful, thank you for your help! I applied for both the 2D and 3D courses (my interview in Feb is for 3D), will I asked about the 2D course during the interview as well or will I get a separate interview date? Also, I’m planning on bringing both a portfolio and a sketchbook, is it bad if my sketchbook is slightly messy? I try to make it neat but most of the time it just looks scruffy. Thanks again
moid
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Sketchbooks are messy - that's why they are sketchbooks Your finished artwork should be neat, but sketchbooks are all about exploring ideas or getting that one idea down on paper before it escapes your mind and never returns... the only time we dislike sketchbooks is when they don't have any actual drawings in them... a lot of schools seem to teach students that filling a sketchbook with postcards / print outs of other artists work and writing about them, but not drawing anything of their own is apparently using a sketchbook.... I don't mind mess, as long as I can see great artwork within the chaos that's fine. Bring the portfolio too!

Regarding interviews, we consider all interviewees for all our courses during the interview, so if you came for 3D, but we felt you were more suited to 2D (or Games Art or VFX) we would make that decision then - you might have to wait for a few minutes while we got hold of a lecturer in the relevant field to interview you again; but it would all be done in the same session. You can always tell the lecturer interviewing you that you're not sure which course you want to study on - that's quite normal, animation is a very wide and varied field, so we don't expect you to know for sure that one degree is the definitive one at this stage. Our first year is mostly common study across all four of our degrees, so if you discover later on that you really love realtime artwork for games, you can switch to that degree (or any of the others).
emw1008
Rep:
(Original post by moid)
Sketchbooks are messy - that's why they are sketchbooks Your finished artwork should be neat, but sketchbooks are all about exploring ideas or getting that one idea down on paper before it escapes your mind and never returns... the only time we dislike sketchbooks is when they don't have any actual drawings in them... a lot of schools seem to teach students that filling a sketchbook with postcards / print outs of other artists work and writing about them, but not drawing anything of their own is apparently using a sketchbook.... I don't mind mess, as long as I can see great artwork within the chaos that's fine. Bring the portfolio too!

Regarding interviews, we consider all interviewees for all our courses during the interview, so if you came for 3D, but we felt you were more suited to 2D (or Games Art or VFX) we would make that decision then - you might have to wait for a few minutes while we got hold of a lecturer in the relevant field to interview you again; but it would all be done in the same session. You can always tell the lecturer interviewing you that you're not sure which course you want to study on - that's quite normal, animation is a very wide and varied field, so we don't expect you to know for sure that one degree is the definitive one at this stage. Our first year is mostly common study across all four of our degrees, so if you discover later on that you really love realtime artwork for games, you can switch to that degree (or any of the others).
Apologies for the late reply! That’s such a relief, I feel slightly more confident now (I’ll definitely bring both). Thank you so much for your help! See you soon.
BU Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hello, I'm a current Student Ambassador at Bournemouth University. I also had an interview to get onto my course, and agree with the already great advice given out. I also now take part in interviewing new prospective students 'where I once stood' and can ensure you there is nothing to feel worried or nervous about. The interview are more like a friendly discussions about your work that you have currently done, and we hope to see that you have a passion and interest for the course.

One thing I would add to the recommendations for the interview is to have a look at current trends or news about surrounding the profession, as it provides a great topic for conversation.

Has this made you feel a little less nervous? Do you want some recommendations for other things to do on the day that you visit us? Please feel free to ask.

-Dom
emw1008
Rep:
(Original post by BU Students)
Hello, I'm a current Student Ambassador at Bournemouth University. I also had an interview to get onto my course, and agree with the already great advice given out. I also now take part in interviewing new prospective students 'where I once stood' and can ensure you there is nothing to feel worried or nervous about. The interview are more like a friendly discussions about your work that you have currently done, and we hope to see that you have a passion and interest for the course.

One thing I would add to the recommendations for the interview is to have a look at current trends or news about surrounding the profession, as it provides a great topic for conversation.

Has this made you feel a little less nervous? Do you want some recommendations for other things to do on the day that you visit us? Please feel free to ask.

-Dom
Hi, sorry for the late reply! Yeah, it’s reassuring, thank you. I’ll definitely have a look into it!

I’ve seen and spoke to previous students who have had interviews for the animation course at BU, and they’ve all had to take three exams during the interview day.. I saw on the course details page that they changed this last year so that applicants don’t have to do them anymore? (which is great haha) - would you be able to confirm this for me? Like is it definite that I won’t have to do them? Recommendations would be great too!

Thanks for your help.
BU Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi, sorry for the late reply! Yeah, it’s reassuring, thank you. I’ll definitely have a look into it!

I’ve seen and spoke to previous students who have had interviews for the animation course at BU, and they’ve all had to take three exams during the interview day.. I saw on the course details page that they changed this last year so that applicants don’t have to do them anymore? (which is great haha) - would you be able to confirm this for me? Like is it definite that I won’t have to do them? Recommendations would be great too!

Thanks for your help.
Hey

I've just had a look over what exactly the interview entails and it would appear that there aren't any exams involved! https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/study...ion-art-design (interview section)

Recommendations for other things to do on the day:

Bring a family member or friend along with you - Many of us have all been where you now stand and a familiar face to help you through can take some of the pressure off!

Come prepared with questions of your own! It always looks good in an interview that you've really thought about the course you're thinking of studying- and what better way to display that than through asking your interviewer some questions!

Hope this helps.

-Dom B
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads