The Student Room Group

Dropping out of university issue, suggestions?

I am planning on leaving university where I am studying Maths and Economics to start a career in the aerospace industry where I will be sponsored a degree in Aerospace engineering and given a wage at the same time, my only issue is that if I drop out as soon as I get an offer it will be looked upon as a bad thing by employers, compared to finishing the first year and then starting the scheme. I would start the scheme in september but if I have an offer from one of these companies I applied to I will have little to no motivation to revise/work. In the mean time if I did drop out I could work and earn some money for my Uni repayments and pass my driving test which I will need for work. What would you suggest?
Original post by VonDutchyy
I am planning on leaving university where I am studying Maths and Economics to start a career in the aerospace industry where I will be sponsored a degree in Aerospace engineering and given a wage at the same time, my only issue is that if I drop out as soon as I get an offer it will be looked upon as a bad thing by employers, compared to finishing the first year and then starting the scheme. I would start the scheme in september but if I have an offer from one of these companies I applied to I will have little to no motivation to revise/work. In the mean time if I did drop out I could work and earn some money for my Uni repayments and pass my driving test which I will need for work. What would you suggest?

Hey,

If your mind is made up to do the degree in Aerospace engineering, then I'd leave the course you're currently doing now. If you work hard during your new degree, then I can't see any reason why employers would look upon this as a bad decision, as you've left to pursue a career that you are clearly passionate about!

Earning some money and passing your driving test before September also seem like good ideas, and are other reasons why it would be best to leave your current degree now. It sounds like you could justify your decision for leaving before the end of first year pretty well, so I don't think you'd have any problems explaining this to future employers.

Good luck! :smile:

Anna

Have you already got an offer for the scheme? If not what is your backup plan in case you don't get an offer for the scheme? Will you still meet the requirements for the scheme if you drop out?

A little untidy, but it wont matter if you already have the job and employer to go to. You can decide whether you wish to put your foray onto your present course onto your CV. Make sure you have the offer and you have accepted it before you leave.

Shame you didnt do it before Christmas as there may have been a chance to save yourself a few thousand.
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
Have you already got an offer for the scheme? If not what is your backup plan in case you don't get an offer for the scheme? Will you still meet the requirements for the scheme if you drop out?

This is the case only if I get an offer, I'm through to the final stages now but if say I didnt get any offer I would stay at university.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
A little untidy, but it wont matter if you already have the job and employer to go to. You can decide whether you wish to put your foray onto your present course onto your CV. Make sure you have the offer and you have accepted it before you leave.

Shame you didnt do it before Christmas as there may have been a chance to save yourself a few thousand.

It was more of a eurika moment while I was on my break, I have always admired engineering and would love to take a different path opposed to university. My lecturer and I had a conversation about it and she suggested that I finish the year, have my holiday and then start my degree scheme in september, however I dont want to have to spend xxxx pounds more on a degree than I probably wont get the best grade on because of my lack of motivation.
This is the case only if I get an offer, I'm through to the final stages now but if say I didnt get any offer I would stay at university.

If you're waiting for an offer for the scheme it's best to finish out the year and then start the scheme in Sept. Yes it is extra money but I wouldn't risk having nothing if you don't get an offer. Alternatively you can drop put now and can always re-apply if you don't end up with an offer for the scheme.
It was more of a eurika moment while I was on my break, I have always admired engineering and would love to take a different path opposed to university. My lecturer and I had a conversation about it and she suggested that I finish the year, have my holiday and then start my degree scheme in september, however I dont want to have to spend xxxx pounds more on a degree than I probably wont get the best grade on because of my lack of motivation.

I assume your lecturer doesnt want you to make a mistake, especially if you are at a good uni. I am working on the basis that you have a firm offer and it is for a good degree apprenticeship.

If you think about it by the time you finish it may be five years down the line, so what you did in Autumn 2017 is neither here nor there.

The pros of finishing the year is actual credits that you could use for another degree or a cert of HE, which doesnt have much use , reallly.

The cons are another two terms and an additional c £7,000 worth of student debt excluding maintenance. How about talking to your employer to be?
I was under the impression you had the offer. If thats not the case then carry on working hard until you are ready to leave. It is a gamble of you start slacking or leave now without an offer. It also improves your chances if you stay for the time being.
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
I was under the impression you had the offer. If thats not the case then carry on working hard until you are ready to leave. It is a gamble of you start slacking or leave now without an offer. It also improves your chances if you stay for the time being.

I should have been more specific, I meant dropping out as soon as I have the offer which would start in September.

Quick Reply

Latest