pinkdreams3
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am in my AS year and I do English language, history, philosophy + ethics and french. I know i am not doing any media related subjects but i do have a huge interest in film out of school. I am going to drop a subject at AS level; either history or english language but i am not sure which one. Which would benefit me more/more favoured in relation to a film degree? Out of all my subjects which ones would help within film?
username3590460
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Drop English language and do literature instead. And pick media or drama instead of history.
pinkdreams3
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by FloralLuxe)
Drop English language and do literature instead. And pick media or drama instead of history.
thank you for the advice but the only way i could do this is if i retook my whole year. do you think english language, philosophy or history would relate more to film?
Goldsmiths, University of London
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey Pinkdreams3, thanks for your question

Generally speaking, you do not need an A level in a particular subject to apply to an undergraduate film degree at a UK university, and the subjects listed below lend themselves well to film studies. For example, Goldsmiths does not specify any particular subjects for the BA (Hons) Media and Communications.

When applying to study at university via UCAS, you will need to demonstrate a passion for film in your personal statement. This can be demonstrated through things such as volunteer work, membership in a club/society, summer school, taking a free online courses related to film...

I hope that helps :bl:

Claire

(Original post by pinkdreams3)
I am in my AS year and I do English language, history, philosophy + ethics and french. I know i am not doing any media related subjects but i do have a huge interest in film out of school. I am going to drop a subject at AS level; either history or english language but i am not sure which one. Which would benefit me more/more favoured in relation to a film degree? Out of all my subjects which ones would help within film?
username3590460
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
thank you for the advice but the only way i could do this is if i retook my whole year. do you think english language, philosophy or history would relate more to film?
History is good but English lang and philosophy are just a waste of time.
Art.Sibande
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Most film degrees don't have any specifically required a-levels (do check the unis you may be interested in though!). So just drop the one you least enjoy and/or the one that is most likely to cause you trouble at A2 and make it less likely for you to achieve your expected grades.

You should have a clearer idea when you finish your AS levels though so I wouldn't be too worried if you don't know now. A lot of people spend all of AS year thinking they're going to drop a subject only to carry it on after results day.

Good luck!
Brighton Film School
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey,

The majority of film degrees at university/film schools don't require you to be studying a film or media related Level 3 qualification.

English language would probably be more beneficial to film than history in terms of A Level choices, due to the nature of screenwriting as well as developing stories and characters. However, we would recommend choosing the subject you enjoy the most, as you will be studying it for another year and you can always develop your film knowledge and experience outside of your qualifications.

Best of luck with your choice!

BFS

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (69)
66.99%
I don't have everything I need (34)
33.01%

Watched Threads