drive on the left-hand side?! Watch

Ginger:)
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
im just wondering... im living in Warsaw now, just got my driving licence, maybe ill be studying in your beautiful country
my question
i cannot imagine myself driving on the left hand side - if i travel to the UK ill have to do some kind of extra tests? and what about my car (well, i still dont have a car, just wondering what if.. : ) ???
Captain Biggles
Badges: 2
Report 11 years ago
You'd better start imagining yourself driving on the left hand side of the road otherwise you'll end up in a police cell. I can't really comment on whether or not you'd have to do extra tests or not - it could be that because you have an EU driving license you shouldn't need to do any extra tests. People come over from other countries with right hand drive cars but it's not exactly the safest way to travel in a left hand drive country.

In summary:
- E-mail the DSA (Driving Standards Agency) as they'll be able to tell you about any extra driving qualifications you might need
- Possibly try and prepare yourself for driving in a left hand drive car with some courses or a driving lesson when you get over here
- If you get a right hand car and bring it over here make sure you feel comfortable driving on the 'wrong' side of the road and if you don't, don't drive.

:cool:
thank you

well, i love driving, i just cant live without it:p:
ill have to learn to use my left hand, but still, its so strange, you must be so smatr to do that

mmm... have you ever driven on the right hand side?

***what an exciting topic
red_Rose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You dont need to do any extra tests or anything since your from the EU, international would be different though.

In all honesty you'll get used to it, people manage when they go on holiday so you'll be fine, as already suggested you could have a few lessons with an instructor to get used to it.
CurlyBen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I spent 5 months in Minorca a couple of years back, I drove a couple of times out there and I didn't have a problem switching sides. You need to be a little bit careful because there are a times when you might try and do what you've done before (e.g. giving way on roundabouts) but it's no drama.
More embarassing was when I started driving on the wrong side of the road in the UK

one more question

i've heard about that the police in the UK is really strict. i mean - when there is a speed limit, everybody respects it.
maybe the question is kind of silly (i know, every single person is unique, there are always good and bad people), but in general: is it just a stereotype or do you think its true?
HCD
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I speed when there aren't coppers or cameras! If you don't know where the cameras are (lines on the road are a big hint :p:) then it's safer to stick to the limit. No-one does.
pinksparkles2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Compared to other European countries I've been to I'd say yeah its true that most people respect the speed limit unless its a long road where they know theres no cameras or police.
And they pull you over for whatever they can.. I got pulled over for going through an amber.
And if you stop in a car park at night and sit there for a minute, they will come and check you out. Happened too many times for me. But that could be just my area.
xx
CurlyBen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't think it's so much people respect the speed limit, it's just we have so many cameras if you speed on a regular basis you're likely to get hit by a fine and points on your licence, increased insurance etc.
gbduo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by CurlyBen)
I
More embarassing was when I started driving on the wrong side of the road in the UK
Haha, i did that after driving in the States over the summer!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hmmm, I was completely stuck for something to put into my exam today, so started talking about driving on the left hand side of the road, and what you would do if someone came towards you on their right

Wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't a computing exam and was something like philosophy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (129)
64.82%
No I haven't decided yet (41)
20.6%
Yes but I might change my mind (29)
14.57%

Watched Threads