TRoshid
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Can someone explain how reactivity goes up down group 7 and can someone explain weather for the carbonate test do I add co32- + H+ = co2 + h20
or is it co32- + HNO3 = NO3 + H20 + CO2
I'm with OCR A Chemistry btw...
Deliciate
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's 2 H+(aq) + CO32-(aq) ---> H2O(l) + CO2(g) because you want to write the ionic equation and not the full equation.

Reactivity decreases as you go down group 7 because one shell is added as you descend. This means there will be more shielding between the inner electrons and also the atomic radius increases as you go down group 7 so the nuclear attraction would decrease. This means that the ionisation energy decreases so the ability to form 1- ions decreases as you go down the group.
How to understand this : If an incoming atom that wants to react with a halogen tries to react with a halogen with more shells (thus with a lower nuclear attraction) then obviously it'll repel the halogen more because the nuclear attraction is weaker down the group. Remember that bonding exists between the nucleus of an atom so less nuclear attraction = less bonding (or more scientifically, less reactivity).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.1%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (30)
16.39%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (30)
16.39%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (27)
14.75%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (50)
27.32%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.03%

Watched Threads