Do you have a popular name and do you like it?

Watch
username2243339
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
--
Last edited by username2243339; 2 years ago
qasim-96
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I wasn’t expecting my name to be on there but I quite like it because it’s not popular and sounds nice.
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I was born in 1948 and was an abandoned baby left on the steps of the Catholic orphanage where I was raised. There were no papers with me, so the nuns named me. When I was 24 and getting married, I needed my birth certificate and had to get it from Ireland. So then found out my real name. But the name the nuns gave me stayed on my medical records and I have recently had it removed. I always hated the name. Happy with my real name.
kingpin x
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My names quite unique, has a symbolic meaning, so wouldnt really expect it to be in the top 100 of the UK
Princessgem
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
my name is gemma
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Seamus123)
I was born in 1948 and was an abandoned baby left on the steps of the Catholic orphanage where I was raised. There were no papers with me, so the nuns named me. When I was 24 and getting married, I needed my birth certificate and had to get it from Ireland. So then found out my real name. But the name the nuns gave me stayed on my medical records and I have recently had it removed. I always hated the name. Happy with my real name.
How sad

My name is surprisingly on that list. Not too keen on it tbh.
livlivlivlivliv
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My name is Olivia and I love it! I am always quite shocked to see Olivia as the top name on so many lists as I genuinely do not know that many Olivias and hadn't really realised that it was that popular? Most people know exactly how my name is spelt and pronounced but I have admittedly had experiences of being spelt as "Livia" or "Alivia", which I've always been puzzled about.
My french teacher at school had some trouble with it too, calling me more "Oliver" than anything close to "Olivia".
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nope. I'm indifferent to my name. It's just a name. I suppose it's handy having one, but ultimately it doesn't bother me one way or the other.
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm outside the top 100. My name is too long, has too many syllables, and most people can't spell it correctly. Although women go crazy over it. The mention of my name seems to turn me into marriage material. Bizarre.
Rum Ham
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The original name that my name is a variant of is on the list, but not my actual name. Not so keen on Yasmin tbh but I'd never change it.
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My name is on here, although it's spelled a little differently which makes it more uncommon. Even when my name is literally right there in front of the person they will still spell it wrong. Like on an email or something, my name is literally in the "to" box. Is it that difficult?! Hence why I go by a more common nickname which is difficult to spell wrong.
sinfonietta
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not in recent years, but it was in the top 100 the year I was born. I hate it. I've pretty much adopted my nickname as my "real" name and only use my legal name where it is required.
Emma_Mcfly_Hope
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don’t like my name that much, it’s such a popular name. I would have preferred a more unique name like Autumn or Evelyn.
Black Cat
Report 3 years ago
Unique names wouldn't be on the list most of those names are fairly common, but you do have some nice ones in there.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I ve always liked claire, it's not in the top hundred but I think it's because it's become much less common over the years.
RockOrBust
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you open the link in the article, it's actually the 2016 data, as it's too soon for the 2017 data (that won't be released until September this year).

Anyhow in 2016, Charlotte was at #12, and used 2,596 times. That's not as popular as it was the year I was born (1999), when it was #6, and used 4,964 times.

I go by Charley though, which was most popular (for girls) born in 1999, when ranked #146.

This site http://names.darkgreener.com/# allows you to see data on any name (used 3 times or more) in England and Wales, for every year since 1996. People with names outside the top 100 can see where their names place on here!
Abcdefghijk123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don’t mind my name, sometimes I wish I had a more unusual name, but it could be worse I guess. Having a nickname would be quite cool though, I’ve always just been called my real name.
emma1404
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My name is one of the top baby names and I really don’t like it I just find it a bit plain and boring plus altogether my name is really short too
Claire461
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
One of my grandchildren was born on Remembrance Sunday and she is called Poppy.
S1elyak1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd be pretty surprised if my name was on the list seeing as I have only met 6 in my entire life. Don't really like my name, it's not the easiest for people to spell and I always get called Kylie, Keeley or Caitlin
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (183)
43.88%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (48)
11.51%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.91%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (88)
21.1%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (41)
9.83%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (24)
5.76%

Watched Threads