Hende
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am in the process of starting my DSA application for a laptop.

I have dyslexia, I will be studying Mechanical and Electrical Engineering.

From what I have read the DSA usually offers very poorly equipped laptops that can barely last the full 4 years.

As I will be doing a lot of 3D model rendering, liquid/air dynamics and simulations will they allow me to upgrade to something more beefy.

I believe they use suppliers for laptops but if the supplier doesn't have the type of laptop I need will they allow me to source it myself?

(I don't care about insurance or anything like that, I have good knowledge computers)

Thanks in advance
GillyTheGhillie
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah, good luck mate, they offered me a potato for £400 with a 3 year old processor and a 768p screen, no dedicated card either, you might be better hanging off till mid 2018 when the 20xx series laptops are released, it'll drive down the price of the current 10xx ones and they'll probably be a decent amount of second hand ones from idiots who upgrade yearly.
Hende
Rep:
?
(Original post by GillyTheGhillie)
Yeah, good luck mate, they offered me a potato for £400 with a 3 year old processor and a 768p screen, no dedicated card either, you might be better hanging off till mid 2018 when the 20xx series laptops are released, it'll drive down the price of the current 10xx ones and they'll probably be a decent amount of second hand ones from idiots who upgrade yearly.
Ah, :/

What are you studying?

Is it even worth me going through the process?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Hende)
Yes I would always advise doing so.:yep:
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Hende)
Ah, :/

What are you studying?

The software alone they might offer you could be worth hundreds (the speech to text software i got five years ago was £200 in itself), and if you find a pc you like yourself then after running a health check they'll put the software on for you.
toonervoustotalk
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
not 100% true
I got my laptop from DSA last year
admittly they payed £200 while i payed the remaining £400 and the laptop will see me through to the rest of my course
doing pharmacy
I also love the software they put on it to aid my studies
I would say it is worth going through them
you would need an i7 chip in the laptop you get
hope it goes well
Hende
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
The software alone they might offer you could be worth hundreds (the speech to text software i got five years ago was £200 in itself), and if you find a pc you like yourself then after running a health check they'll put the software on for you.
Oh ok, thank you!

(Original post by 04MR17)
Yes I would always advise doing so.:yep:
Alright thank you!

(Original post by toonervoustotalk)
not 100% true
admittly they payed £200 while i payed the remaining £400 and the laptop will see me through to the rest of my course
doing pharmacy
hope it goes well
Yes I have been looking at an i7, a dedicated GPU would be nice too.

Hopefully it goes well.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
MKaur18
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
not 100% true
doing pharmacy
hope it goes well
I know it is a weird question, but now a year on from when you posted last. I'm sure you've got more files on your laptop. Does the software make your computer slower do you feel?
toonervoustotalk
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MKaur18)
I know it is a weird question, but now a year on from when you posted last. I'm sure you've got more files on your laptop. Does the software make your computer slower do you feel?
No I dont think so, but then again I store alot of my files on a external hard drive as well then remove them on the laptop so I dont overload the SSD
MKaur18
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ah right, that's smart. Thank you.
No I dont think so, but then again I store alot of my files on a external hard drive as well then remove them on the laptop so I dont overload the SSD
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (106)
40.61%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (29)
11.11%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (19)
7.28%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (59)
22.61%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (31)
11.88%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.51%

Watched Threads