Turn on thread page Beta

H&M apologises over 'racist' image of black boy in hoodie watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...-boy-in-hoodie

People on social media have called H&M "racist" for showing a black child modelling a hoodie that says 'coolest monkey in the jungle.'

Some are calling for a boycott of the brand over the picture, while others defended the retailer.

H&M has said: "We apologise to anyone this may have offended." People took to Twitter to describe the image published by the Swedish chain as inappropriate and offensive. The photograph was being using in the children's section of the UK site and some people weren't happy.

ReputationRep:
    you don’t think that’s racist?

ReputationRep:
    Typical hypersensitivity, the only reason that H&M put it out because they *weren't* discriminating by race.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...-boy-in-hoodie

People on social media have called H&M "racist" for showing a black child modelling a hoodie that says 'coolest monkey in the jungle.'

Some are calling for a boycott of the brand over the picture, while others defended the retailer.

H&M has said: "We apologise to anyone this may have offended." People took to Twitter to describe the image published by the Swedish chain as inappropriate and offensive. The photograph was being using in the children's section of the UK site and some people weren't happy.

I can already tell the 'anti-sjws' will be extremely offended by this and attempt to argue that it is not inappropriate or offensive, I'm not an easily offended person but this is just stupid on H&M's part and anyone can see that. Hoodie looks **** too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralLuxe)
    you don’t think that’s racist?
    Me?

I think it's in bad taste and they should think more carefully about their advertisements in future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParkHyungSuk)
    I can already tell the 'anti-sjws' will be extremely offended by this and attempt to argue that it is not inappropriate or offensive, I'm not an easily offended person but this is just stupid on H&M's part and anyone can see that. Hoodie looks **** too
    Agreed, they need to have more awareness when marketing clothing like that.

ReputationRep:
    Wow

ReputationRep:
    Even if the intentions may not have been bad (although even this I doubt), this is very clearly racist.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who looked at that and laughed. I know its wrong but it's still funny.

ReputationRep:
    wow its 2018, and people get sensitive over a ****ing hoodie jesus christ...
    edit thanks for them green bars

ReputationRep:
    I don't see anything racist about this, why does everyone love to pick on the smallest things , so the darker boy happens to wear the monkey one, maybe because the boy wanted to wear it or the colour itself suits his complexion, im so sure they did no take this photo with ill intentions so why is everyone making a huge fricking deal?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I think this matter depends on everyone’s perception. It’s highly subjective and debatable whether that’s racist or not.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by sehun123)
    I don't see anything racist about this, why does everyone love to pick on the smallest things , so the darker boy happens to wear the monkey one, maybe because the boy wanted to wear it or the colour itself suits his complexion, im so sure they did no take this photo with ill intentions so why is everyone making a huge fricking deal?
    I bet if the white boy wore the monkey one, people would still complain saying H&M are trying too hard not to “discriminate”.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    I bet if the white boy wore the monkey one, people would still complain saying H&M are trying too hard not to “discriminate”.
    exactly! Everyone just loves to follow the majority and don't actually look at the situation and see if it's actually racist. The problem nowadays is that people get offended by everything and anything!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by merlynnn)
    Even if the intentions may not have been bad (although even this I doubt), this is very clearly racist.
    How can it be racist i.e. discriminating against a particular race, if there was no intention to discriminate? It was merely an oversight and purely coincidental, but happened to be racially offensive.

ReputationRep:
    Surely it's more "racist" to have a problem with the child wearing the hoody??

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

deleted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
    How can it be racist i.e. discriminating against a particular race, if there was no intention to discriminate? It was merely an oversight and purely coincidental, but happened to be racially offensive.
    First of all, you can't assume there was no intention to discriminate. Second of all, racially offensive is the same thing as racist.

This is a complete non-point.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by merlynnn)
    First of all, you can't assume there was no intention to discriminate. Second of all, racially offensive is the same thing as racist.

This is a complete non-point.
    I just don't see why a huge company would purposely create discriminatory material to include in an advert when their reputation is on the line. It defies all logic and we can safely assume there was no intention.

Racism and something being racially offensive are two totally different things. Something that's racially offensive can totally be made with the most innocent of intentions. The dictionary definition of racism means to discriminate against an individual or group based on their race. Intention to cause racial offence is required for something to be considered racist, whereas you can cause racial offence without discriminating against people or an individual. Racial discrimination = racism and discrimination and intent are synonymous, whereas causing offence can be done without intent.

ReputationRep:
    Butt-hurt, social justice warrior, virtue signalling. F them, why would the opinions of deranged, radicalist leftist thought police be of any concern to a self respecting human?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.