Turn on thread page Beta

H&M apologises over 'racist' image of black boy in hoodie watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by merlynnn)
    Which of your idols are you desperately copying? I'll have a guess and say PJW.
    Puuurlease! His humour is nowhere near as witty and refined as mine.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Appleorpear)
    And if he was white it would be fine.
    It would be “really cute” and the boy would be “such a cheeky monkey”

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wōden)
    Puuurlease! His humour is nowhere near as witty and refined as mine.
    I mean it's literally identical. At least he's original and funny sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    The only racists in this situation are the people who saw a correlation between the boys' skin colour and the writing on the hoodie. If you are not racist , you shouldn't even care about someone's skin colour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonyeka)
    I’m black and I found it really distasteful and my friends thought the same. We aren’t ‘closeted racist, no fun having, gender bending, political correcting, boring ass people‘. We actually very fun loving, lit people
    Funny because I'm black and I did not care one bit and i wasn't boring enough to find it 'distasteful'. Just grow a pair and stop getting offended over everything, there are more serious issues around the world.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by AndreiMiron)
    The only racists in this situation are the people who saw a correlation between the boys' skin colour and the writing on the hoodie. If you are not racist , you shouldn't even care about someone's skin colour.
    I see a correlation between your name and Eastern Europe...am I racist? Lol jk. But are you Eastern European by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rubbishatgcse)
    Funny because I'm black and I did not care one bit and i wasn't boring enough to find it 'distasteful'. Just grow a pair and stop getting offended over everything, there are more serious issues around the world.
    Kk. That’s you. Maybe you haven’t been called a monkey in a pejorative way before.

ReputationRep:
    At the same time I'd hope no one's idiotic enough to choose that jumper for the black kid when theyre a major retailer.

Always two sides to the coin.
    always many sides to the coin, like others have said maybe the boy himself really liked that jumper and wanted to wear it, or maybe the colour suited him the best. everybody uses the phrase "cheeky monkey" especially towards kids or are we going to be banning that phrase from schools as well when someone (white) cries racism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    I see a correlation between your name and Eastern Europe...am I racist? Lol jk. But are you Eastern European by any chance?
    No, you are not racist because you don't make a fuss about it and yes , I am Eastern European.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonyeka)
    Kk.
    ha where did all your distaste go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by applesforme)
    always many sides to the coin, like others have said maybe the boy himself really liked that jumper and wanted to wear it, or maybe the colour suited him the best. everybody uses the phrase "cheeky monkey" especially towards kids or are we going to be banning that phrase from schools as well when someone (white) cries racism.
    Right, because it's totally reasonable to assume the kid understand the historical racist discourse that people of his race were subjected to.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by AndreiMiron)
    No, you are not racist because you don't make a fuss about it and yes , I am Eastern European.
    Hehe knew it, I am also Eastern European. Are you Romanian? And I agree with your initial point

ReputationRep:
    ha where did all your distaste go
    What do you mean? I wasn’t coming at you or anything. Just trying to explain the viewpoint of others who disagree with you. 🤷*♀️
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by applesforme)
    Only white boys can be called that. Otherwise it’s racist!! *Sarcasm intensifies* lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    Hehe knew it, I am also Eastern European. Are you Romanian? And I agree with your initial point
    You are right again.

ReputationRep:
    funny how most of the white people on here are saying it's not racist......

ReputationRep:
    Aren't the people saying it is racist implying that the blacks look like monkeys or something?

After all, the whiteboi in the tiger hoodie has drawn no complaints...

ReputationRep:
    Just found out you’re Indian why are you claiming your black 😂 Very embarrassing.

ReputationRep:
    and racism is one of those serious issues...

ReputationRep:
    I never said that they were racist. I said the picture was. Read.
    oh wow that basically means the same thing, why is this made into a big deal

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.