Turn on thread page Beta

H&M apologises over 'racist' image of black boy in hoodie watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rubbishatgcse)
    Funny because I'm black
    Lmaooo you idiot.

ReputationRep:
    If anything isn't this a really good sign of how people have started to become colour blind. In the past the person that made this decision may well have looked at the little lad and saw the connection between him and a monkey. The prejudice would have jumped out at them. Now they didn't. They saw a cute kid in a cute hoodie. Great.....no?
    No, of course it's not good news. We mustn't think that things might be getting better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonyeka)
    Just found out you’re Indian why are you claiming your black 😂 Very embarrassing.
    I'm mixed bro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...-boy-in-hoodie

People on social media have called H&M "racist" for showing a black child modelling a hoodie that says 'coolest monkey in the jungle.'

Some are calling for a boycott of the brand over the picture, while others defended the retailer.

H&M has said: "We apologise to anyone this may have offended." People took to Twitter to describe the image published by the Swedish chain as inappropriate and offensive. The photograph was being using in the children's section of the UK site and some people weren't happy.

It was a dumb and short-sighted thing to do on H&M's part as this would obviously incur outrage from certain people due to it being moderately offensive in a certain context. However, I think the person messaging the tweet is overreacting - the actual clothing doesn't need to be removed from stock as the above tweet is demanding, it isn't related to either of the boys in the advertisement in any way apart for simple demonstration, it can be sold independently without it.

ReputationRep:
    They shouldn't apologise since they did nothing wrong.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by merlynnn)
    The problem with you is that you're pedantic. Racism and intent are two separate things. If you do or say something racist, but claim it wasnt intentional then by your silly logic that means the original action is no longer racist.

The effect of an action takes precedent over the intent. In this case, the ad campaign may be accidentally racist but its racist nonetheless.
    You realise you're wrong because you can't argue with the facts I've presented as to the definition of racism, so you call me a pedant and try to twist the definition to suit your own agenda. I could stop right there... but I won't.

That's a ridiculous example. All that would be happening there is, someone has been racist and then claims that they weren't. They were being racist, because the intent was there - just because they then claim that the intent wasn't there, doesn't mean it wasn't intentional. In the scenario of this advertising campaign, we again can safely assume that the advert was not intended to be racially offensive and the advertising team were not discriminating against, or prejudiced toward, any person or race.

I'll break it down for you one last time, if you still can't see why racism and something being racially offensive are different, then I'm wasting my time, here:

Racism = discrimination or prejudice against another person(s) because of their race.
    Discrimination/prejudice = intentional.
    No intent = no racism. Racially offensive, yes, but not racist.

ReputationRep:
    It's a black kid wearing a hoodie that says monkey on it

And?

This isn't racist at all, i'm sure the kid who did the advert didn't care. Get over it if people have got time to be getting their panties in a twist over this they got time to be doing something useful and meaningful with their time.

Get a grip seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
    You realise you're wrong because you can't argue with the facts I've presented as to the definition of racism, so you call me a pedant and try to twist the definition to suit your own agenda. I could stop right there... but I won't.

That's a ridiculous example. All that would be happening there is, someone has been racist and then claims that they weren't. They were being racist, because the intent was there - just because they then claim that the intent wasn't there, doesn't mean it wasn't intentional. In the scenario of this advertising campaign, we again can safely assume that the advert was not intended to be racially offensive and the advertising team were not discriminating against, or prejudiced toward, any person or race.

I'll break it down for you one last time, if you still can't see why racism and something being racially offensive are different, then I'm wasting my time, here:

Racism = discrimination or prejudice against another person(s) because of their race.
    Discrimination/prejudice = intentional.
    No intent = no racism. Racially offensive, yes, but not racist.
    By your logic, some cannot be accidentally racist. It just means theyre not racist. And that's exactly why you're wrong. Im not wasting my time with someone so attached to definitions and cant assess this situation for what it is.

ReputationRep:
    Also, an ad campaign is an inanimate thing, it cannot have intent itself. The ad campaign is racist. The people behind it may not be. How is this so hard for you to understand?
    It's just the way you and others interpret this. And the campaign does have an intent, otherwise it wouldn't convey that indicator of racism to you, or convey that it was just a mistake on H&M's part on the basis of this issue, as intent does literally mean, purpose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kataali)
    It's just the way you and others interpret this. And the campaign does have an intent, otherwise it wouldn't convey that indicator of racism to you, or convey that it was just a mistake on H&M's part on the basis of this issue, as intent does literally mean, purpose.
    The problem is, there are idiots who think intent is the be all and end all.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    By your logic, some cannot be accidentally racist. It just means theyre not racist. And that's exactly why you're wrong. Im not wasting my time with someone so attached to definitions and cant assess this situation for what it is.
    They can't. You have to actively have something against a particular race, to be racist. You can be accidentally racially offensive, yes, but please refer to my previous post(s) for reasons why it's not possible to accidentally be racist.

ReputationRep:
    They can't. You have to actively have something against a particular race, to be racist. You can be accidentally racially offensive, yes, but please refer to my previous post(s) for reasons why it's not possible to accidentally be racist.
    The mere fact that you dont even bother refer to this case and instead just break down the definitions in such a simple minded manner just shows how silly you are.

Given that you think it's possible to not be accidentally racist (which is extremely pedantic itself), I doubt you'll understand why you're wrong. But you yourself can read over that post and see why it's an example of a fallacy of the single cause.

PS: dont tell anyone you believe you cant be accidentally racist. You'll sound like an idiot.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The mere fact that you dont even bother refer to this case and instead just break down the definitions in such a simple minded manner just shows how silly you are.

Given that you think it's possible to not be accidentally racist (which is extremely pedantic itself), I doubt you'll understand why you're wrong. But you yourself can read over that post and see why it's an example of a fallacy of the single cause.

PS: dont tell anyone you believe you cant be accidentally racist. You'll sound like an idiot.
    Well, I've actually referred to this case continually throughout all of my posts, and repeatedly said that given that the intent wasn't there, it's not racism - racially offensive I'll give you, but racism? No.

I do believe that, and I've given you my reasons why. The definition of racism is not open to interpretation, it's literally in the dictionary. I do not look like an idiot in saying so, because I've practically said so right from my first post, and have reiterated so throughout all of my posts, and several of my posts have been repped by other members, suggesting that several people agree with me. Are you implying that you're the only person reading this exchange between yourself and I who is not an idiot?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've actually referred to this case continually throughout all of my posts, and repeatedly said that given that the intent wasn't there, it's not racism - racially offensive I'll give you, but racism? No.

I do believe that, and I've given you my reasons why. The definition of racism is not open to interpretation, it's literally in the dictionary. I do not look like an idiot in saying so, because I've practically said so right from my first post, and have reiterated so throughout all of my posts, and several of my posts have been repped by other members, suggesting that several people agree with me. Are you implying that you're the only person reading this exchange between yourself and I who is not an idiot?
    I've pointed out the logical fallacy within your earlier post and now your argument is "I got reps from other uneducated right wing idiots!!!!!!". And I havent even mentioned how much of my argument you completely ignored because you couldnt address. At one point you went "No you're wrong" and just repeated what you said.

You are an idiot and its frankly just frustrating when you cant even develop an argument. It's like talking to a downy. From thinking that its not possible to be accidentally racist to thinking that this reductivist fallacious pedantry actually makes you look smart, ive just realised how much time ive wasted with you when you have so little logical literacy and basic common sense.

And I know how desperate you are for the last word. So you're free to have it. But im not wasting time with someone who thinks its impossible to be "accidentally racist" lmao
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I've pointed out the logical fallacy within your earlier post and now your argument is "I got reps from other uneducated right wing idiots!!!!!!". And I havent even mentioned how much of my argument you completely ignored because you couldnt address. At one point you went "No you're wrong" and just repeated what you said.

You are an idiot and its frankly just frustrating when you cant even develop an argument. It's like talking to a downy. From thinking that its not possible to be accidentally racist to thinking that this reductivist fallacious pedantry actually makes you look smart, ive just realised how much time ive wasted with you when you have so little logical literacy and basic common sense.

And I know how desperate you are for the last word. So you're free to have it. But im not wasting time with someone who thinks its impossible to be "accidentally racist" lmao
    I've literally addressed every single thing you've written. You can't seem to grasp the definition of racism and why intent is everything, you think "accidental racism" exists when it does not (you can be racially offensive by accident, however) and overall, I keep having to repeat myself because you don't seem to be able to comprehend what I've said and keep providing ridiculous examples in which one can apparently be racist by accident. To top it all off, you lack the ability to read, analyse and respond with logic and instead all you can do is resort to ad hominems and insults such as "idiot" and "downy", call me a pedant because I've tried to explain a simple cut-and-dried definition to you, and you refer to the numerous people who don't agree with you as "right wing idiots" rather than accept the fact that you're wrong. Call it "having the last word" if you like, I call it "correcting someone who is clearly wrong".

ReputationRep:
    I think the real racists are those who associate black people with monkeys.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously though, why put the black one in the monkey hoodie? How could they not know...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appleorpear)
    And if he was white it would be fine.
    But he’s not white. In an ideal world, everyone should be treated equally no matter their race, but unfortunately, that doesn’t happen. Probably will never happen. I don’t think that H&M are racist, but they made a bad decision and should have seen this backlash coming

ReputationRep:
    Those people complaining on twitter can go and **** themselves
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    I personally think the whole scenario is simply coincidental and unintentional to be honest.

(Original post by AprilFeather)
    I think the real racists are those who associate black people with monkeys.
    This.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.