The Student Room Group

Further Maths A-level

Hi everyone can you help me? I am considering FM for alevels but I'm put off because of the level of difficulty and it's such a massive jump. I must admit maths is the most enjoyable subject for me but I feel obliged to pick it because I 60% want to do a maths degree. Currently I'm a grade 8 at mathsMY current options are: bio Chem and maths but I'm not sure about FM. Should I pick bio or chem? How is further maths as an alevel, Is it very hard and is it worth it? I'm only considering it because all prestige unís require it for a maths degree. THANKS
if you want to do maths asa degree and you love the subject then i would defiantly take it if i were you. I'm applying to do a maths degree and seriously regret not doing further
Reply 2
I didn't do further maths and I seriously regretted it because I actually decided during my a levels that I want to do a degree in maths, but all the open days I went to, when I spoke to the tutors they basically all said I'd be at a massive disadvantage if I hadn't done further but obviously it was too late for me to change. I'd say if you do wanna do a maths degree, particularly if you're aiming for the top unis, definitely take further. It'll be hard but if maths is what you wanna do, I'd say do it
Reply 3
Bio & chem go well together, so probably do both. Bio has more content to remember but it’s easier to do, Chem has less but it’s harder.

As for FM - do it if you want to do a maths degree, but otherwise, I wouldn’t bother. For many other courses it forces you to continue 4 subjects to A2 instead of dropping one, as FM isn’t counted as 2 full subjects.

You need to be good at maths, but you need to enjoy it if you’re gonna do well at FM. It’s not enough to just be good. You’ve got to want to do it.
Original post by LRxS
Bio & chem go well together, so probably do both. Bio has more content to remember but it’s easier to do, Chem has less but it’s harder.

As for FM - do it if you want to do a maths degree, but otherwise, I wouldn’t bother. For many other courses it forces you to continue 4 subjects to A2 instead of dropping one, as FM isn’t counted as 2 full subjects.

You need to be good at maths, but you need to enjoy it if you’re gonna do well at FM. It’s not enough to just be good. You’ve got to want to do it.

For a vast majority of science courses (excluding medicine since that's different), FM is counted separately from maths, so it does in fact could as two full subjects! Especially with all of the physical sciences!

However some unis may be picky, but in most cases, for sciences, they will allow this. :smile: (Spoken from experience!)
Original post by LRxS

Unless you're doing Medicine, Further Maths has from history been regarded seperately, even from a medical context, this practice is beginning to be phased out.

Quick Reply

Latest