The Student Room Group

History A - level revision tips?

I was wondering if anyone had any useful revision tips for history, I'm studying Russia 1855-1964 and Britain 1906-1957. I enjoy writing essays but I struggle to remember all of the content and writing lots of notes takes up a lot of time as I'm quite a slow writer. Any ideas?
for me, condensed yet detailed notes in the form of mindmaps are great a great help, admittedly I've spent hours on just one A4 page (Writing in pencil so for next year I write it in pen) but thats what you got to do for a high content course. The Quizlet app is good too for flashcards as well as kahoot
Reply 2
I make LOOOTS of revision cards, with questions on the back so I can test myself. I've recently made, essentially, my own revision guide theme by theme through the monarchs for the Tudor exam I'm doing. It took me AGES and ended up being 15,000 words but I'm really proud of it. I also do Russia, and will be making one for that too, so I'd recommend doing that - or you can have a copy of mine once I've made it. I definitely recommend trying to revise thematically rather than chronologically. If you're a slow writer, then type. But realistically, the exams are so hand-written essay heavy, it's probably best to get used to it. Also, use websites like getrevising, kahoot and quizlet if you want to mooch off other people's materials rather than making your own...especially useful if you're running out of time to revise and requires less writing.

Hope this helps! X
Essay plans are the way to go for History and making sure you understand the content. The latter is achieved by simple repetition, I had to revise some topics just 4-6 times to fully understand it. Also making a quiz of like 60 short answer questions per question really helped me. These methods got me full marks in one of my AS papers :cool:
I do timelines which sounds pretty unusual but it helps me remember the super specific and important stuff like dates and figures. Just put all the key info in chronological order on one long sheet up on your wall. It helped me get all the details and the extra marks for my exam!!
Hi, is it possible for me to have a look at ur Tudor revision guide? Need some inspiration immediately, I might just drop history as maths bio chem are getting a bit handy
Reply 6
Original post by lowza
I make LOOOTS of revision cards, with questions on the back so I can test myself. I've recently made, essentially, my own revision guide theme by theme through the monarchs for the Tudor exam I'm doing. It took me AGES and ended up being 15,000 words but I'm really proud of it. I also do Russia, and will be making one for that too, so I'd recommend doing that - or you can have a copy of mine once I've made it. I definitely recommend trying to revise thematically rather than chronologically. If you're a slow writer, then type. But realistically, the exams are so hand-written essay heavy, it's probably best to get used to it. Also, use websites like getrevising, kahoot and quizlet if you want to mooch off other people's materials rather than making your own...especially useful if you're running out of time to revise and requires less writing.

Hope this helps! X

Hi, you mentioned you had Russia notes. Would it be possible for you to send these to me as I am studying Russia at the moment and I am really struggling with it :frown:
Original post by CinnamonSmol
for me, condensed yet detailed notes in the form of mindmaps are great a great help, admittedly I've spent hours on just one A4 page (Writing in pencil so for next year I write it in pen) but thats what you got to do for a high content course. The Quizlet app is good too for flashcards as well as kahoot

is it too late to go to a U to a b in less then 4 months?

Quick Reply

Latest