The Student Room Group

"Lower the voter age to 16"

What are your opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
brain isn't developed till 25
Original post by apk1
What are your opinions?

NO. 16 year olds are largely immature and have the unnerving tendency to make irrational choices.
I agree, I think the voices of 16 year olds should be heared, and besides, 16 year olds will be deciding for their own future and wont have an older generation to decide for them, and it would bring lot more liberal voters as well
As much as I would've loved to have been able to vote in the last General Election at the age of 16, I don't think that many students at that age would take the election seriously when voting. Too many students are too preoccupied to look into what each party has to offer, and may end up being lead by their parent(s) or guardian(s). I would stick with 18 in my opinion...
Those who want the voting age lowered to 16, want the vote of 16 year olds. A lot of them don't have a job, so how can you be sure their votes will be rational?
Reply 6
I’m for it. A lot adults don’t want to “get involved in politics” or stick to their party due to loyalty rather than caring about the outcome. 16 year olds are a lot more politically aware than adults realise, not enough credit is given to them. Yes they are immature in a lot of senses, but aren’t we all in some ways? The ones that don’t care simply won’t vote. The ones that do care deserve to have their voices heard.

Whether or not someones brain is developed and their competency isn’t taken into account for adults, so this is a rubbish point against teenagers. And as has been mentioned many times, it’s their future. It shouldn’t just be up to pensioners and parents to decide.
I agree with 16 and 17 year olds being allowed to vote. However, this does not mean that parental responsibility should end at 16.
Reply 8
Original post by shawn_o1
Those who want the voting age lowered to 16, want the vote of 16 year olds. A lot of them don't have a job, so how can you be sure their votes will be rational?

And having a job = rational person? What about elderly people who aren’t in their right minds, or people with mental disabilities? 16 year olds can think rationally and have opinions on these issues. I don’t see any reason to not allow them to vote, we should encourage young people to care about politics and be educated on what’s going on.
Reply 9
Disagree. Children should not be deciding the politics of this country.
As a 17 year old who has an interest in politics, i feel as if I’m still under qualified to make a decision and the current world is unfortunately the adults world right now, our time will come eventually, but I’d rather have the time to gain more understanding and knowledge before I vote
No way. Can not be trusted and usually the most misinformed age group. They’ll vote for any party that says “no tuition fees”.
You have Margret Thatcher as your profile picture so I disagree that my age group is ‘misinformed’, however I do agree we are misinformed to the point where we just haven’t got that much life experience yet, our views may be the best choice but we need to experience more.
Why stop at 16?

Why not give 15 year olds the vote?

Why not give my 6 year old the vote? or my 2 year old? She can hold a pencil already!

There is an agreement that 18 is adult for lots of things. 18 means nothing. It is completely arbitrary, but so many things have to be when laws get involved.
I've seen the political views and opinions of a lot of 16 year olds on here and I have to wholeheartedly disagree, our country would be doomed with these people swaying the votes. A lot of them have yet to even experience the real world.
Original post by valentinaclara
You have Margret Thatcher as your profile picture so I disagree that my age group is ‘misinformed’, however I do agree we are misinformed to the point where we just haven’t got that much life experience yet, our views may be the best choice but we need to experience more.

Please quote me next time so I can see the notification if you’re talking about me. :h:

My profile picture has no relevance to this topic.

That literally makes no sense. You disagree that your age group is misinformed and then you agree that it is misinformed. Please decide.
Reply 16
As someone who is of that age group, I find adults believe us to be less politically informed than we actually are. By 16, I think we're able to make important decisions such as who to vote for without simply voting 'for any party that says no tuition fees' or having our parents influence our choice. So I do agree that 16 and 17 year olds should be allowed to vote.
lol, absolutely not.

we need more limitations on those who should be allowed to vote, not less.
Yup, I was probably ready to vote at 14.
Original post by apk1
What are your opinions?

18 seems to be fair in my opinion. At 16 you’re still immature and probably easily influenced, especially when you have no knowledge on politics.

Quick Reply

Latest