The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

UK v USA, which country is better?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think that on a political and social-economics level, the uk better is, but not by that much.
UK anyday.

At least I can have a little more peace of mind when walking down a street and you know not get shot at by pretty much anyone..

Edit:- Dumb thread tho as I doubt an american that has always lived in US is going to say the UK is better and vise versa
(edited 6 years ago)
Life standard in the US is better but the culture here is just what I’ve grown to live by so i cant see myself moving to the US 😂
Having lived for a significant amount of time in each:
USA! :biggrin:
Reply 24
If you are rich: US ( >100k )
If you are upper middle class or below: UK
Reply 25
USA, because I'm still annoyed at Brexit.
I went to the US (Boston, NYC, and New Haven) and it made me realise how much I love the UK. The places I saw in America seemed either tackier or more run down version ngl. Also who wants Donald 🦆 trump as presendent.
Original post by Lord Nutter
UK anyday.

At least I can have a little more peace of mind when walking down a street and you know not get shot at by pretty much anyone..

Edit:- Dumb thread tho as I doubt an american that has always lived in US is going to say the UK is better and vise versa

I’m Irish forced to live in the UK by borders and I’d rather be Irish.
Reply 28
Original post by SeamasMac
I’m Irish forced to live in the UK by borders and I’d rather be Irish.

Then go live in Ireland instead of the uk ?:s-smilie:

Original post by premedmath
Obviously the US.
The US outperforms the UK in all disciplines.

Like gun crime, gang violence, school shootings? :smile:
UK.
Original post by Napp
Then go live in Ireland instead of the uk ?:s-smilie:

Like gun crime, gang violence, school shootings? :smile:

I was mainly talking about research, education and economics performance

:wink:
Reply 31
Original post by premedmath
I was mainly talking about research, education and economics performance

:wink:

It would be foolish to ignore these metrics as well though...

At any rate whilst the US has some of the best research and educational establishments in the world it also has some of the worst.
Reply 32
Original post by AvogadrosAvocado
I went to the US (Boston, NYC, and New Haven) and it made me realise how much I love the UK. The places I saw in America seemed either tackier or more run down version ngl. Also who wants Donald 🦆 trump as presendent.

Ok, in general I'd prefer the UK for society, but America for scenery so I'm not saying this from an "AMERICA IS GREAT" perspective, but seriously?

You went to NYC and Boston and found them "run down" compared to the UK? I wouldn't have said any of the London shopping streets match up to either 5th Avenue (NYC) or Commonwealth Avenue (Boston). Boston has a dockside area which rivals anywhere in the UK when it comes to quality of seafood. The Shard is an ugly symbol of excessiveness compared to the elegance of the likes of the Chrysler Building.

If you went to say Idaho, or Oregon, or Texas, then yea, America has more run down and tacky than you can shake a stick at, but your examples just seem odd. I wonder how much of those cities you actually saw.
honestly I love the states because I grew up there but British accents are just so gorgeous..!..!!! British humour is better but (no offence!) I find that in America they're very warm, open minded and more friendly than some British people I've met
sooo, I'm gonna say that I'd need a guy who was born in the UK but raised in the states ooPs 😂
Original post by Dheorl
Ok, in general I'd prefer the UK for society, but America for scenery so I'm not saying this from an "AMERICA IS GREAT" perspective, but seriously?

You went to NYC and Boston and found them "run down" compared to the UK? I wouldn't have said any of the London shopping streets match up to either 5th Avenue (NYC) or Commonwealth Avenue (Boston). Boston has a dockside area which rivals anywhere in the UK when it comes to quality of seafood. The Shard is an ugly symbol of excessiveness compared to the elegance of the likes of the Chrysler Building.

If you went to say Idaho, or Oregon, or Texas, then yea, America has more run down and tacky than you can shake a stick at, but your examples just seem odd. I wonder how much of those cities you actually saw.

I went down 5th avenue and yeah that was nice but there are places like that equally in London. The areas I went in NYC had scaffolding everywhere you looked and loads of run down signs and stuff idk but not something you see here. Tbf though I live in Oxford which for the most part is pretty beautiful.

I went to the Boston docks and yeah it was lovely but that’s one part. Idk everywhere else we went had thick black ugly electrical wires hanging down everywhere n stuff. Just my opinion.
Whilst some British people are good at feigning politeness, Americans are far more genuinely polite. Even their murderers say 'sir ' and 'ma'am'.

Whilst gun crime is far lower in the UK, knife crime per person is greater in the UK.

America is such a huge country that the UK is more like a state by comparison. There will be something for everyone in America, although its size
and ambition might be harder to condense in to one 'thing' or person as the UK tends to do. It's relatively easy to become famous in the UK really if
you're talented.

I love the old castles and villages of the UK and how they slowly morphe in to our sometimes quite nice cities. But the UK can be pretty dull if you have no money or connections because no-one expects you to make anything of yourself, unlike in America.

Everywhere you go, you always take the weather with you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 36
I went down 5th avenue and yeah that was nice but there are places like that equally in London. The areas I went in NYC had scaffolding everywhere you looked and loads of run down signs and stuff idk but not something you see here. Tbf though I live in Oxford which for the most part is pretty beautiful.

I went to the Boston docks and yeah it was lovely but that’s one part. Idk everywhere else we went had thick black ugly electrical wires hanging down everywhere n stuff. Just my opinion.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. I find Oxford pretty nasty tbh, it just feels incredibly awkward, nothing seems to fit right and there's no sense of cohesiveness. Yea, you have some buildings that individually are very nice, but they're hidden among badly designed 60's shopping centres and the most inane street system known to man.

Sure, NYC has it's run down areas, but a city of that size is bound to. It doesn't take much looking to find somewhere equally run down in London, or any major city in the UK (or the world come to that; go to somewhere seemingly as perfect and glistening as Geneva and you don't have to walk far from the lakeside to be greeted by a hooker under some scaffolding).

I suppose due to the places of each you've seen you have a bias, but if you get a chance to explore more of each at some point I think you'll find yourself pleasantly surprised in the NE USA.

Original post by Dheorl
I guess it's all a matter of perspective. I find Oxford pretty nasty tbh, it just feels incredibly awkward, nothing seems to fit right and there's no sense of cohesiveness. Yea, you have some buildings that individually are very nice, but they're hidden among badly designed 60's shopping centres and the most inane street system known to man.

Sure, NYC has it's run down areas, but a city of that size is bound to. It doesn't take much looking to find somewhere equally run down in London, or any major city in the UK (or the world come to that; go to somewhere seemingly as perfect and glistening as Geneva and you don't have to walk far from the lakeside to be greeted by a hooker under some scaffolding).

I suppose due to the places of each you've seen you have a bias, but if you get a chance to explore more of each at some point I think you'll find yourself pleasantly surprised in the NE USA.

Ok well I disagree but plz don’t feel the need to correct me again bcs it’s what I thought when I was there.
Reply 38
Ok well I disagree but plz don’t feel the need to correct me again bcs it’s what I thought when I was there.

Firstly, it's a public forum, I'll say what I damn please.

Secondly, I'm not trying to "correct" you merely suggesting you keep an open mind. Boston has everything from stunning restaurants, to beautiful churches, lovely parks, quaint tree lined avenues of Georgian town houses. If you think the only nice part is the docks then you clearly didn't see much of this city...

Original post by Dheorl
Firstly, it's a public forum, I'll say what I damn please.

Secondly, I'm not trying to "correct" you merely suggesting you keep an open mind. Boston has everything from stunning restaurants, to beautiful churches, lovely parks, quaint tree lined avenues of Georgian town houses. If you think the only nice part is the docks then you clearly didn't see much of this city...

Nah mate I didn’t say you couldn’t, just plz don’t feel the need.

Anything looks good in picture ... I could send u loads of stunning pics of the U.K. point is I’ve been two years in a row and thought the same. I saw quite a lot of Boston tbh. Thanks for the concern though.

Latest

Trending

Trending