The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
annie_wilson
I've got an offer as well about 3 weeks ago... =) CASTLE anyone??

Well done on the offer annie_wilson! Are you going to make it your firm choice? Well, looking at this thread it seems most of us are holding offers from the Hill colleges. But Castle is great for obvious reasons. Anyway congrats and hope to see you come October.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 61
Pippaaa
my gut feeling without visiting is probably king's, but i don't trust that at all because i think it's heavily influenced by the fact that i live two hours from london by train, and a few of my best friends are already at london unis. and i also don't really want to study in london if i'm probably going to end up working there -- i'd rather do the uni experience elsewhere. plus if i was in london i'd do far too much shopping and have NO money :biggrin:

i think i have to visit both and see if that helps. :smile:

My initial feeling was the same, but on further consideration I've sort of settled on Durham. Am slightly put off by the money factor too! Open days will definitely help in the decision (fingers crossed!) :smile:
Reply 62
Pippaaa
my gut feeling without visiting is probably king's, but i don't trust that at all because i think it's heavily influenced by the fact that i live two hours from london by train, and a few of my best friends are already at london unis. and i also don't really want to study in london if i'm probably going to end up working there -- i'd rather do the uni experience elsewhere. plus if i was in london i'd do far too much shopping and have NO money :biggrin:

i think i have to visit both and see if that helps. :smile:

I felt like that. To the extent I put Kings down as my firm and Durham as my insurance. Rang up after about a week to change it and never looked back since.
Reply 63
de.novo
I find it slightly strange that I want to fast forward to October given the amount of work that we'll all end up doing. :biggrin: And yes Hill lawyers are the best. :cool:

The whole work thing is a myth, you can easily get away with doing very little in terms of academic commitments and walking away with a good 2:1
de.novo
Well done on the offer annie_wilson! Are you going to make it your firm choice? Well, looking at this thread it seems most of us are holding offers from the Hill colleges. But Castle is great for obvious reasons. Anyway congrats and hope to see you come October.

thanks!!! and YEP!!! it is definitely my first choice!! how about you?? u got an offer too right? what college?
Reply 65
annie_wilson
thanks!!! and YEP!!! it is definitely my first choice!! how about you?? u got an offer too right? what college?

Yeap! Collingwood is the college of my choice and that is where I ended up so it's all good.
de.novo
Yeap! Collingwood is the college of my choice and that is where I ended up so it's all good.

oh coool!!! congratulations!!! are u studying a level now? i'm doing the IB:confused:
Reply 67
annie_wilson
oh coool!!! congratulations!!! are u studying a level now? i'm doing the IB:confused:

No. I'm already done and rotting away. I am a little older than you all. But shhhh we won't tell anyone will we? Besides I'm young, I'm practically a foetus. My offer is unconditional. I would have liked to do IB. Sounds oh so very interesting. :biggrin:
Reply 68
Another oldie! :biggrin: what are you doing with your time out de.novo?
Reply 69
danfel
Another oldie! :biggrin: what are you doing with your time out de.novo?

Working at a law firm. It was quite exciting to begin with but now it is getting a little mundane and repetitive. :s-smilie: But they can't get me to do much I suppose since I haven't even started my degree yet.
Reply 70
de.novo
Working at a law firm. It was quite exciting to begin with but now it is getting a little mundane and repetitive. :s-smilie: But they can't get me to do much I suppose since I haven't even started my degree yet.

Oh really, me too. I know what you mean about it getting boring... are you a paralegal? What sort of work do you do?
Reply 71
danfel
Oh really, me too. I know what you mean about it getting boring... are you a paralegal? What sort of work do you do?

Yeap paralegal. Basically assisting the solicitor who got me assigned to her. As for the work that is concerned, there's alot of legal research, writing, assisting with deposition preparation, admin duties etc. Good thing the solicitor I got is nice. Sometimes I can ask the silliest questions. :p:
Reply 72
That sounds pretty cool. I know what you mean about asking questions - sometimes I feel like that's all I do. Your job seems a lot more interesting than mine: I just carry out civil lit - repossession & debt recovery work. Get to go to court hearings but that's about the most interesting part :redface: but I'm bored now. Can. Not. Wait. For. October. :biggrin:
Reply 73
I didn't find it particularly interesting after the first couple of months went by. The other day I actually contemplated the idea of egging the other paralegal into a rolling chair race. But my better judgement prevented me from pursuing that. October. Is it just me or does everyone else get excited when you get new books and things when the new academic year begins?
Reply 75
Thanks for that... ???

de.novo: I get totally excited. It's the best time of year! I'm gonna take my September pay and go wild in Waterstones (uh oh, I think I just outgeeked myself! :biggrin:)
Reply 76

Did you come up with that all by yourself? Bravo, well done. Time well spent.
danfel
I get totally excited. It's the best time of year! I'm gonna take my September pay and go wild in Waterstones (uh oh, I think I just outgeeked myself! :biggrin:)

You haven't outgeeked yourself. No worries there. Sometimes buying stationery for the new year excites me. Yes sad, but true. :rolleyes:
Reply 77
Thinking about it, will we get a summer reading list? I haven't confirmed my offer yet so I haven't heard anything, but I guess I should put some money aside just in case I get handed a list of tomes to get through.

*awaits slew of abuse from current students over reading list query*
Reply 78
I assume so. They usually send one out, don't they? I think I got one the last time I applied. After the abuse flung at us over this, can the current students confirm whether or not they received reading lists? Cheers.
de.novo
I assume so. They usually send one out, don't they? I think I got one the last time I applied. After the abuse flung at us over this, can the current students confirm whether or not they received reading lists? Cheers.

We have to read in advance? Gee, didn't know that. Pardon me for not knowing though, I'm international. Not a good excuse, I know:p: . So...how much exactly do we need to read?

Latest