The Student Room Group

Can I apply for a PhD whilst juggling a master's dissertation and KTP?

TL;DR Can I apply for a PhD whilst juggling a KTP and master's dissertation?

Currently, I've deferred my MSc dissertation last year to Sept 2018 due to constraints working full time in a 2-year long Knowledge Transfer Partnership role in a company. My dissertation submission is in September and the PhD starts relatively soon; it's fully funded so I'm not sure when I will ever get this opportunity again.

Is it reasonable to apply for this PhD as it is closely related to my subject area? Although I'm confident that I can do it, I'm not sure how one university will react to fact that I potentially might be taking on a PhD from a rival University.

The subject area is quite new and niche and because of this I know personally the top researchers and academia of the subject, so I want to err on the side of caution. It might too much for me spinning several plates, it might be ludicrous or stupid to even to ask the university and academics but I need some advice on this matter.
Original post by Anonamau5
TL;DR Can I apply for a PhD whilst juggling a KTP and master's dissertation?

Yes, if you can manage your time effectively.

Is it reasonable to apply for this PhD as it is closely related to my subject area?

Yes.
Although I'm confident that I can do it, I'm not sure how one university will react to fact that I potentially might be taking on a PhD from a rival University.

They won't care. It's generally better for your career to move universities anyway.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending