This discussion is closed.
questioons
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have an offer at University of Exeter, I’m asian and visibly muslim. I don’t know if I should go there due to issues with racism and lack of diversity. Does anyone know if it’s really racist? Should I not accept, I don’t want to be a subject to racism/islamaphobia. Thanks
username1402543
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by questioons)
I have an offer at University of Exeter, I’m asian and visibly muslim. I don’t know if I should go there due to issues with racism and lack of diversity. Does anyone know if it’s really racist? Should I not accept, I don’t want to be a subject to racism/islamaphobia. Thanks
Watch Ibz mo video on Youtube about Exeter uni.You will find you're answer.
Kraggor
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't know about the uni itself too much but from someone who lives just outside of exeter and works there eveyday for the past 21 years and has many multicultural friends I have some knowledge. (I can't speak for all cases)

You'll find that most of the youngsters especially between 18-30 are really cool with everybody and there is minimal discrimination and Exeter is known for being one of the if not the safest and lowest crime rates in the country.

Although the South West has alot of farmland/patriotic people and is known for being more isolated from outside culture so you will find the people who are more likely to be racist and phobic towards outside cultures are the older generations such as the agricultural folk or the seniors

From my own friends, none of my muslim, hindu or japanse/chinese friends have experienced any racist comments or harassment here:yep: And they love the rural/urban atmosphere around here.
questioons
Rep:
?
Thanks guys!
Kraggor
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks guys!
I've never done uni I chose to go apprenticeship straight into work but I've been told no matter what uni you look at just make sure to check out the local campus and have a walk around the city

Either way best of luck to any Uni you get into
questioons
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kraggor)
I've never done uni I chose to go apprenticeship straight into work but I've been told no matter what uni you look at just make sure to check out the local campus and have a walk around the city

Either way best of luck to any Uni you get into
Thank you. That’s some good advice, I’ll defo do that
Kraggor
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you. That’s some good advice, I’ll defo do that
You're welcome.
If you need to know anything about the city itself I'd be more than happy to try and help out where I can

What course(s) you looking to do at uni? Different ones for different choices?
questioons
Rep:
?
You're welcome.
If you need to know anything about the city itself I'd be more than happy to try and help out where I can

What course(s) you looking to do at uni? Different ones for different choices?
Thanks, I’ve applied to biomed/ medical sciences and I’m hopefully going to transfer to medicine. (Its really competitive but I’m still going to try my hardest)
Kraggor
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks, I’ve applied to biomed/ medical sciences and I’m hopefully going to transfer to medicine. (Its really competitive but I’m still going to try my hardest)
A very good choice! Should be a good few years of study and even though Medicine is a very difficult profession to do, the rewards you get for your efforts will be fantastic!

I'm sure if you put your mind to it you'll do great. Best of luck to you
questioons
Rep:
?
A very good choice! Should be a good few years of study and even though Medicine is a very difficult profession to do, the rewards you get for your efforts will be fantastic!

I'm sure if you put your mind to it you'll do great. Best of luck to you
Thank you ever so much!
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Haven't experienced any racism here tbh. I'm sure it does exist like it exists at any university, but most of the people I've hung out with have been pretty chill.

I think everyone has this really bad view of exeter being this posh, racist, snobby university but that's not really the case. Sure, there are a lot of posh people here especially so if you are in catered (e.g. my university hall is 71% private school), but just because people have money and are 'posh' doesn't mean they're bad people.

As for lack of diversity.. I'd say the uni is diverse in an unconventional way. There are a lot of international students from all across Europe, the States, India, China etc. There are people of several different ethnicities here. But I guess the one difference is that the socio-economic spread probably leans more middle class/upper middle/upper class than some other places.

I'd definitely accept your offer because all-in, this uni is pretty amazing. If you have any questions hmu.

Posted from TSR Mobile
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i wouldn't leave london if you paid me.
questioons
Rep:
?
(Original post by Princepieman)
Haven't experienced any racism here tbh. I'm sure it does exist like it exists at any university, but most of the people I've hung out with have been pretty chill.

I think everyone has this really bad view of exeter being this posh, racist, snobby university but that's not really the case. Sure, there are a lot of posh people here especially so if you are in catered (e.g. my university hall is 71% private school), but just because people have money and are 'posh' doesn't mean they're bad people.

As for lack of diversity.. I'd say the uni is diverse in an unconventional way. There are a lot of international students from all across Europe, the States, India, China etc. There are people of several different ethnicities here. But I guess the one difference is that the socio-economic spread probably leans more middle class/upper middle/upper class than some other places.

I'd definitely accept your offer because all-in, this uni is pretty amazing. If you have any questions hmu.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for you reply! I also went to private school, so I understand how they’re not bad people😂 but I’ll take everything you said on board when I decide 😄
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’m asian and visibly muslim. I don’t know if I should go there due to issues with racism and lack of diversity. Does anyone know if it’s really racist? Should I not accept, I don’t want to be a subject to racism/islamaphobia. Thanks
Apart from the odd knuckle dragger (and you'll find them everywhere), no one cares what you look like. People will judge you on what you say and do.

Exeter is pretty cool apparently. An ex's sister went there.
Zahid~
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm a medical student at exeter and muslim . It's fine. No one cares. Has halal butchers in the city centre too
questioons
Rep:
?
Hahaha okay, thanks 😂 also are there many Muslims on your course, and did you/are you going for the transfer to med?
Zahid~
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hahaha okay, thanks 😂 also are there many Muslims on your course, and did you/are you going for the transfer to med?
I'm a medical student... I'm doing med... No other course students can call themselves medical students lol. And there's 3 or 4 out of 120. Don't really talk to them but they're there if you fancy
questioons
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zahid~)
I'm a medical student... I'm doing med... No other course students can call themselves medical students lol. And there's 3 or 4 out of 120. Don't really talk to them but they're there if you fancy
Oh sorry haha I read it as medical sciences, thanks anyway 😊
Stuffme
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well then..
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was just about to say that I thought Exeter had moved on from the issues it had about 5-10 years ago, and then I googled to try and find an old news story and found this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-43473517 which refers to a racist incident which happened very recently.

I think the culture in general has changed, and Exeter is more multicultural now as a university and a city than it was- but it does have a reputation for having a sort of white upper-middle class vibe, and that might attract some people who have certain sorts of views.

I don't think you'd be openly abused or anything like that, but there might be a subtle undertone of your face not fitting. Or you might be absolutely fine.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
15.1%
I'm not sure (16)
3.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (147)
33.64%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.6%
I'm not a current university student (201)
46%

Watched Threads