The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Londoncentricity

The Londoncentric nature of the UK.

Is it unhealthy?
Is it exaggerated?
Would it be a positive thing to shift the balance of power to some other cities in England at least?
Discuss

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think it's fairly natural. We should be quite chuffed that we have one of the greatest cities in the world on our doorstep.

I don't quite see how you can balance power across England. There are government offices across the UK, but generally the main civil servants don't want to move (indeed, watch Yes Minister and see why...). There are no new institutions to create, save perhaps an English Assembly - and I don't see that happening, and business etc prefers being in London.
L i b
I think it's fairly natural. We should be quite chuffed that we have one of the greatest cities in the world on our doorstep.

I don't quite see how you can balance power across England. There are government offices across the UK, but generally the main civil servants don't want to move (indeed, watch Yes Minister and see why...). There are no new institutions to create, save perhaps an English Assembly - and I don't see that happening, and business etc prefers being in London.

There used to be a lot of finance, actuaries, insurance etc in Liverpool. Now it's London. Just one tiny example, but I just wonder what it'd be like if things were more spread out. There's been cool stuff going on in Manchester but asides that it's pretty much all London. Just seems a tad predictable. In Italy you have Florence, Rome , Venice, Milan. In USA you have LA, NY, Chicago, Washington, Seattle etc. Stronger rival cities.
It is just easy for everyone to get to. Not always in time, but from my home town of Cheltenham it is easier to get to via public transport then say, Reading or Liverpool.
Well, it happens with lots of places. I have a Norweigan friend, and, you know, it's true - whenever people meet her the first question is "Are you from Oslo?" At least we still have a lot of cities outside of London - many countries consist of the huge, vast, overpopulated cities, and then the rest is rural.
London's amazing i've been there 3 times and had a wicked visit each time
Reply 6
L i b

True that.

And London just has a different feel to it compared to even the big cities in England like Manchester and Birmingham.
Reply 7
naivesincerity
In Italy you have Florence, Rome , Venice, Milan. In USA you have LA, NY, Chicago, Washington, Seattle etc. Stronger rival cities.

The latter is more to do with size though.
Socrates
The latter is more to do with size though.

OK then, Scotland has Edinburgh vs Glasgow.:wink:
Reply 9
Is it just me that doesn't like the smelly, overcrowded, dirty, congested, busy London?

Of course Britain is "londoncentric" because there really isn't anywhere else in this country. Everything is there so why would anyone need to focus on anything else?

naivesincerity
OK then, Scotland has Edinburgh vs Glasgow.:wink:

I don't think that's a hard choice...
Thud
Is it just me that doesn't like the smelly, overcrowded, dirty, congested, busy London?

Of course Britain is "londoncentric" because there really isn't anywhere else in this country. Everything is there so why would anyone need to focus on anything else?

Course there is something else. I prefer places like Liverpool/Manchester t bh. They're a more interesting size.
Thud

I don't think that's a hard choice...

They rival each other in size and chutzpah though.
Reply 12
naivesincerity
Course there is something else. I prefer places like Liverpool/Manchester t bh. They're a more interesting size.

By something else I mean somewhere else where there's important stuff. What exactly do Manchester or Liverpool have other than some very good music?

In the OP you asked if we should be aiming to get rid of this centralisation, it wouldn't work because there would have to be something first out of London - London has everything and so everything else wants to be there so it's also got everything.

America only really has NYC and Washington, no where else really has anything important. And Washington is totally dead on weekends.
Thud

America only really has NYC and Washington, no where else really has anything important. And Washington is totally dead on weekends.

LA isn't important?!

Then there's the (albeit smaller) San Francisco, Chicago, Seattle.
i think all of america is imporant, it amazes me
Reply 15
naivesincerity
LA isn't important?!

Then there's the (albeit smaller) San Francisco, Chicago, Seattle.

What's in LA?

Celebrities? Big w00p. Not particularly many businesses, little water and a lot of Mexicans.

There are smaller cities in Britain too, that doesn't mean they actually have much there. Most countries will have one city which really stands out because it's most efficent that way and people can make most money, have easier access to stuff etc. It's simply not fiesable to have 2 important centres of er...stuff hundreds of miles apart.
naivesincerity
The Londoncentric nature of the UK.

Is it unhealthy?
Is it exaggerated?
Would it be a positive thing to shift the balance of power to some other cities in England at least?
Discuss

I do think it is unhealthy but I also think it is inevitable. When the main intellectual resources all reside in one place that is where the business will locate itself.

However I also think that it is possible to spread the power slightly, over a long time period. With technology being what it is it's easy for people on the other side of the world to have video convos, along with those in another office of the same city. Some offices are relatively insulated in terms of how often the employees contact anyone outside their office face to face, and many workers would prefer to live outside of London.

Having said that, London rules. The best city on the planet.
Thud
What's in LA?

Celebrities? Big w00p. Not particularly many businesses, little water and a lot of Mexicans.

Only the biggest movie industry in the world...
Record companies? Capitol? And probably countless other things too. Don't be silly.
El Doctoré de Mystéro

Having said that, London rules. The best city on the planet.

Have you been to NY? Rome ? Paris etc?

London isn't that amazing.
I second Rome as the best city in the world

Latest

Trending

Trending