Can I add another GCSE to my options?

Watch
Poole99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm beginning to study for my GCSEs but I have used all my options for other subjects I love. Currently, I would like to study Economics but cannot find anyone that has a positive opinion of taking 13 GCSEs. It sounds like a lot, but I take 3 languages on top of the other subjects and would like to keep adding to my abilities. Am I putting too much pressure on myself? I'm a straight A* student but don't want to seem over eager. Has anybody managed to well with many GCSEs? Will the exam board allow it?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Poole99)
I'm beginning to study for my GCSEs but I have used all my options for other subjects I love. Currently, I would like to study Economics but cannot find anyone that has a positive opinion of taking 13 GCSEs. It sounds like a lot, but I take 3 languages on top of the other subjects and would like to keep adding to my abilities. Am I putting too much pressure on myself? I'm a straight A* student but don't want to seem over eager. Has anybody managed to well with many GCSEs? Will the exam board allow it?
You are better focuing on fewer GCSEs and getting good results - Economics GCSE is not highly thought of anyway.

Your school knows best - stick to 12 - some schools only do 10 and their students still get to top unis.
Purdy7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would consult your tutor and see what they say.
Rowanblu
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think that it depends on which exam board you're going through and also which school you're at. Personally, I'm taking 7 GCSEs because I'm homeschooled, so therefore it is much harder. I was also getting As and A*s in year 9. However, as I started doing my GCSEs I noticed that I wasn't getting as good grades. However, if you're confident that you can do all 13 subjects I'd say go for it. Many universities/ people say that 11 is a lot, and I would probably do economics and drop a language just because you can study the language on your own. I am very stressed out doing 7 subjects, so I couldn't imagine doing 13! I think that doing 7-10 is a good amount because then you can put enough time into all of them so that you get good grades, and it also lowers how many jobs you can do! I knew what I wanted to do from young, so I only had to take the GCSEs I needed in order to meet the job's requirements. I would say that 13 GCSEs is a lot of pressure, but if you feel like you can do it, go for it!
tooschool4cool
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Poole99)
I think that anymore than 10/11 GCSEs and it will begin to become difficult to maintain top grades across all of them. If you think you can do it, go for it, but in all honesty economics isn't all that well regarded at GCSE
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (675)
41.33%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.21%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads