Non League/Grass Roots appreciation thread Watch

Rock Fan
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Think maybe we need to bring this back because there must be some who love to watch and follow a Non League club, so does anyone here watch or follow a Non League team?
JamesP1995
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I'm a Bristol City fan but watch Bristol Manor Farm on a semi regular basis.
Their currently in their first ever season at Southern League Division One West, having won the Western League Premier at a canter last season.
First went to watch them about 15 years ago and they were battling relegation from the Western Premier.
Their tactics last season was literally "score as many as possible, forget defending", they've done the same since promotion and sit in a playoff spot, but the difference in quality between the two leagues is very clear.
Used to watch Mangotsfield (same division) and Hallen (a Western Premier) as well, all depending on who was home and whether I could afford to go to Ashton Gate instead.
Rock Fan
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by JamesP1995)
I'm a Bristol City fan but watch Bristol Manor Farm on a semi regular basis.
Their currently in their first ever season at Southern League Division One West, having won the Western League Premier at a canter last season.
First went to watch them about 15 years ago and they were battling relegation from the Western Premier.
Their tactics last season was literally "score as many as possible, forget defending", they've done the same since promotion and sit in a playoff spot, but the difference in quality between the two leagues is very clear.
Used to watch Mangotsfield (same division) and Hallen (a Western Premier) as well, all depending on who was home and whether I could afford to go to Ashton Gate instead.
I saw Bristol Manor Farm against Bromsgrove Sporting in the FA Cup Vase last season, was a proper good game that.
JamesP1995
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Rock Fan)
I saw Bristol Manor Farm against Bromsgrove Sporting in the FA Cup Vase last season, was a proper good game that.
Was that March time, pouring with rain and a (I think) 3-0 away win for Bromsgrove?
I sometimes get games mixed up but saw them lose a cup match by that kind of score, was the first time I saw them lose for about 4 seasons (obviously not at every match).
Rock Fan
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Was that March time, pouring with rain and a (I think) 3-0 away win for Bromsgrove?
I sometimes get games mixed up but saw them lose a cup match by that kind of score, was the first time I saw them lose for about 4 seasons (obviously not at every match).
It was like late January and it ended 2.1 to Bromsgrove, it was at Bromsgrove, think it was like the 5th Round.
JamesP1995
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Rock Fan)
It was like late January and it ended 2.1 to Bromsgrove, it was at Bromsgrove, think it was like the 5th Round.
Ah, wouldn't have been there.
I see Bromsgrove are in the Fifth round of the Vase again, the money from the cups can make a huge difference at that level. I know that Cadbury Heath made enough money getting to the FA Cup Third Qualifying Round to pay nearly all their bills for a season.
Rock Fan
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Ah, wouldn't have been there.
I see Bromsgrove are in the Fifth round of the Vase again, the money from the cups can make a huge difference at that level. I know that Cadbury Heath made enough money getting to the FA Cup Third Qualifying Round to pay nearly all their bills for a season.
Yeah they are really doing well, considering they haven't been going long since they came from when Bromsgrove Rovers folded, it is amazing what a cup run can do for a small Non League Side
Rock Fan
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Tranmere and Boreham Wood battle for the right to get in the Football League. In the North Final it is Brackley vs Harrogate Town and in the South it is Hampton & Richmond v Braintree.
ra-ra-ra
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
How about that then...Tranmere with the highest average attendance in the league will face the lowest average attendance team in the league, Boreham Wood.

I remember last season quite a few National League fans moaned about the lack of fans Forest Green Rovers took to the final, and their league attendance was something like an average attendance of over 1500ish, so I wonder how many Boreham Wood might take.

There seems to be a pattern over the past few seasons with the play off finals though - 2015 Grimsby were runners up but then went up the following season vs FGR in 2016. Then in 2017 FGR were in the final again and beat Tranmere. So now Tranmere are in the final for the second year running so if that pattern is anything to go by then you'd have your money on Tranmere.

Personally for me Tranmere deserve to get out of this league, especially going by form and performances over the second half of this season, but it would be crazy if Boreham Wood go up, plus with Macclesfield and Chester not in the league next season we need Tranmere so we can still have some sort of local derby.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
If Boreham Wood make it then a lot of people will probably be saying 'where'. It is just outside London and about half a mile from the Eastenders set.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Tranmere have had a player sent off after 55 seconds! Yet they are 1-0 up. Could be an interesting second half. Pity it was £41 to go as if it had been a reasonable price I would have gone.
Rock Fan
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
Tranmere have had a player sent off after 55 seconds! Yet they are 1-0 up. Could be an interesting second half. Pity it was £41 to go as if it had been a reasonable price I would have gone.
Wow £41 shocking
ra-ra-ra
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Did anyone catch the FA Trophy game between Brackley Town and Bromley today? You've got to feel for Bromley with conceding that own goal in the 94th minute. Great for Brackley though after their disappointment of missing out on promotion to the NL, and although it ended on a not so nice note between Wrexham and Kevin Wilkin, it was nice to see him actually win the FA Trophy after missing out on penalties a couple of seasons ago when we played in the final.
Rock Fan
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by ra-ra-ra)
Did anyone catch the FA Trophy game between Brackley Town and Bromley today? You've got to feel for Bromley with conceding that own goal in the 94th minute. Great for Brackley though after their disappointment of missing out on promotion to the NL, and although it ended on a not so nice note between Wrexham and Kevin Wilkin, it was nice to see him actually win the FA Trophy after missing out on penalties a couple of seasons ago when we played in the final.
Hard on Bromley that, I need to see what happened in the FA Vase.
Rock Fan
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Big shock in the FA Trophy was National League side Aldershot getting beat 7-0 by Bedford Town who are 3 leagues lower than them!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1623)
79.13%
Leave (428)
20.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise